Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chrissy
Beginner September 2021 British Columbia

Save the dates/invites

Chrissy, on November 14, 2019 at 17:35 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 24
Do you really need to send save the dates? Why not just send invites and have people RSVP online? Is there something I’m missing?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on December 2, 2019 at 18:22
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know for me alot of people on the list dont use the internet. So on my invites I will just ask them to call and let me know what the story is.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is absolutely gorgeous!!!

• Marie-jade
    Newbie October 2024 Quebec
    Marie-jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As we are also doing a long weekend and also have people coming from Germany, we opted for an early invitation for all the German Guests. The RSVP will be done via our online website. It will allow them to get the information in advance, in order to plan their trip.

So, no save the date for us!

• M
    Newbie August 2021 Quebec
    Melirem03 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save-the-dates were essential for us. Our wedding guests are busy people who plan their summers a year in advance (#Canada), but more importantly, a few of our friends are planning their weddings at the same time - yikes! - and this was a way to win the race, sort of speak. Definitely use an online platform, and be selective on who needs one and who doesn't (A-list, B-list). All in all, it is a good way to book the folks you really want to be there before the finer details like meal choices and times are worked out.

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save the Dates are pointless, designed to sell people garbage that is unnecessary.
  • Megan
    Curious July 2020 British Columbia
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We originally were just gonna use this and send it electronically to friends/family, mostly cause our wedding is on a long weekend so we want to make sure our friends and family don’t make plans to go away Smiley smile we ended up getting a really good deal on prints so we did get them in a hard copy
    Save the dates/invites 1
  • Jo-Ann
    Curious July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Jo-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only mailed save the dates for my older relatives who wouldn't necessarily be familiar with the website or email options. I have emailed them for people who will be travelling from away and needs time to get time off from work, etc...anyone close to where we live knows by word of mouth anyways so they will get the invite later on as reminder

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save the dates are good for out of town guest. I have people coming from far, so I wanted to give them enough time to take of work.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't need them.

we did free email save the dates for out of province/out of country guests so they had extra time to plan travel/accommodations.

send your invites out a month earlier maybe.

• Kim
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did save the dates because we're getting married on Thanksgiving weekend. We wanted our guests to have plenty of time to make travel and accommodation arrangements. We did ours through Staples...$35 plus postage. We had a lot of fun going through photos and reminiscing while making them too 😊
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did Save the date cards due to our very long engagement (over 2 years). We did 75 postcards on vistaprint for about 15 bucks total- so not bad at all.
  • A
    Newbie May 2021 Alberta
    Angelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are free digital save the dates out there. That's what I've used. You can also create a page on Facebook and invite people that way as your save the date. This way, there can also be a link added for you wedding website too.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not doing save the dates but anyone I have invite will know the wedding date because we see them often enough. We may do a digital save the date but no one invited will be more than an hour and a half car ride from us.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save the dates are a more useful thing if you’re getting married at peak travel times (summer and holidays) but you definitely don’t need to do them. If you want to though, do digital ones to save on the costs.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You dont have to do save the dates at all. its just a nice way to let people know that are coming from out of town or out of country to make arrangements and book holidays off work that sort of stuff.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You definitely do not need to have save the dates - it's definitely a trend that got popular (good way to share engagement photos) but not necessary.

Reasons to not do them:

- Extra cost/time

- Do not have a lot of out-of-town guests that need to figure out time off/travel in advance (you could give people the heads up if necessary)

- You're having a shorter engagement (a year or so)

Reasons to do them:

- You have lots of out-of-towners who need to travel/book time off work

- You're having a longer engagement (2+ years) it's a good reminder when you get closer to the wedding

- You can do them over email to mitigate costs

We did them because we had lots of out-of-towners, plus our engagement was 2 years.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree to save on the Save the Dates to save the cost. Invitations are enough to have guests book their room and airline tickets in time. Responding by email or online is easy as for elders may want to consider cards itself.

• Rachel
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did traditional Save-The-Dates for a few reasons:
    (1) I wanted to tell people so they could make plans but I still wasn't sure about the specific timeline of the day
    (2) people like getting mail that isn't bills or advertising
    (3) they were fun to design and not terribly expensive. There's a bit more flexibility with them than the actual invitations.
    If you don't want to do them then you definitely don't have to. Just make sure the invitations go out in time for people to plan.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally not needed - we didn't send any save the dates.

IMO, if you don't have people travelling from a plane ride away or having an engagement for over 2 years then the save the dates are just a cute way of getting boast that you are getting married

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren't bothering with save the dates. We will send paper invites (I think mail is fun!) With digital RSVPs.

I think a lot of people use them if they have a lot of guests traveling for the wedding who might need extra time to book flights/accomodations. Our out of province family already know about the date!
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did not give out save the dates. Our invites were sent out well in advance for people to be able to RSVP and make arrangements, RSVP and info needed is online. Our venue is limited on space so I also needed to give it in advance to make sure that we had time to send more invites if people couldn't make it.

They were send out in August to RSVP by January and Wedding is in April

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah save the dates are more common for longer engagements. Ours is 2 years so we're sending them out now (around the 10-month mark) - like the others have said - to give lots of notice and because I'm tired of people asking when the date is. Now they'll know and I'll subsequently have an extra 6 months of no harassment...

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save the dates aren’t mandatory.

We did them because our wedding is in the summer when lots of people plan summer holidays, etc. so we wanted to give people notice so they could arrange to come if they wanted! We sent ours exactly a year in advance but I’d recommend 9-11 months before the wedding.
    The RSVP is separate. You don’t want to send them too early, people will forget they’ve even RSVP’d.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save the dates are just to let people know waaay ahead of time to save the date. Whereas with the invites you send them closer to the actual date that people RSVP to. The main reason why I sent save the dates was because I have a couple guests that have to make long distance travel plans, so it gave them more of a heads up and time to save/plan their travel plans

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics