Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Devoted December 2022 Yucatán

Save the Dates and Wedding Invitations

Brittany, on July 20, 2021 at 16:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6

HI!

I need help.

So I am booking this weekend our wedding in Mexico at the Grand Sunset Princess Resort and I would like to send out Save the Dates as soon as possible - BUT I would like for our engagement photos to be done and we have us on there. Unfortunately our engagement photos are not until September 14th and we should expect them back max 2 months, so we would be getting them mid November.

My issue is with having a destination wedding, it is common courtesy to send invitations a year in advance so I would have to send those out this December.

So will it be weird to receive a save the date in late November and then a month later receive a wedding invitation?

Or if that is the case - Send out the invitations in January? Or even send out Save the Dates?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 25, 2021 at 17:10
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Destination wedding invitations should be sent 6 months prior to the month given the guests make their arrangements as needed for travel and resort booking. Save the Date is okay to send now for your guests to know the date to keep it free. I had received an invitation for a destination wedding which we couldn't afford due to the costs of the resort and air travel. The price for the resort was a limited time to book before the prices went up after the final date. For this reason is why I would make sure to know from the agency to get the dates of the final booking for guests to book with the agency provided on the invitation or website.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would agree with what Christiana said. If your save the date and invite is too close I personally wouldn't bother with it. The only time I would send off a save the date, is if the wedding is more than 1 year away - i.e. when we got engaged, our wedding wasn't for another 1.5 years....personally glad i didn't send out save the dates due to COVID lol, but i would've sent my invites 4-5 months in advance Smiley smile

That is just my personal opinion- additionally- i think you already may have mentioned it, but you can use the pictures as your actual invite Smiley smile

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a great way to send your photos!
  • Brittany
    Devoted December 2022 Yucatán
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a very valid point! I think I just came up with a perfect idea to still send a photo from our engagement shoot. Is to send the invitations at Christmas time with a Christmas card !
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Remember save the dates are a relatively new thing. People didn’t send them out at all until like 10ish years ago. Don’t feel obligated to do any “typical” wedding step if you don’t feel like it’s necessary or if it doesn’t make sense to do so. As long as people are aware of the date and can make plans that’s all that matters.
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In my opinion save the dates aren’t necessary in general, but especially if you’re sending invites well in advance. The purpose of a STD is to let people know about the wedding. If they’re getting invites like a year out anyway there’s no point in sending an STD.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics