Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maude
Curious March 2022 Ontario

Save the dates and invitation

Maude, on August 12, 2021 at 02:07 Posted in Before the wedding 0 11

Hey everyone.

I am trying to decide if sending out Save The Date cards is necessary and whether to include the link for our wedding website. The website has good planning information but it also has the RSVP page, and it seems weird to allow my guests to RSVP before they actually receive their invitations. Any idea if there is a way to only let them see some of the website? Or should I just send actual invitations only, but send them earlier? Any opinions and advice would be really appreciated Smiley smile

11 Comments

Latest activity by Karen, on August 22, 2021 at 14:55
  • Karen
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Maude...

So I replied earlier but...we created our own e save the date!
    A nice snap of you two, or you holding hands...write or copy a verse you like...
    Put your date in...and tah dah

• Maude
    Curious March 2022 Ontario
    Maude ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks everyone! We ended up sending them online and I figured out I can "hide" pages on our website, so I just hid some of the pages when I sent out the website with the save the date. some people wanted to book hotel rooms early and start looking at flights. Once I send out my invitations, I'll make my full website public.

• Karen
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did online save the dates and it worked beautifully!

Nit only thT but folks began to reply back and it opened up the lines if communication right away!
    Save the dollars 💸 on this and make your announcement as Special as you two are!
    K
  • Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent save the dates shortly after we chose our date and started booking vendors. We decided to save some costs and do electronic save the dates (I paid about $9 for a template from Etsy, and we just sent them via text, email, Facebook message, etc). We didn't put our wedding website on for a couple reasons. It wasn't complete with all our info as we hadn't chosen/booked a ceremony venue yet, so would kind of be pointless to have our website being looked at with incomplete info. With covid being pretty prevalent when we got engaged in February, I also didn't want to send out save the dates to our entire guest list, have them know all the info and details, and then have to cut our numbers back later on and they still have access to all our info (and my anxious self thinking they could still take it upon themselves to show up). In the same mindset, if we change our mind on some guests over the time period before official invitations are sent out, we can just not send them an official invite and advise the save the date they received a year previous was intended for the dance invite only and just send an invite for the dance/reception. Otherwise, like I said before, they'd already have a the info and the website and could take it upon themselves to show up (maybe this is just my irrational self). My plan is just to include the website details on our formal invitations when we send them out closer to the date.
  • Ashley
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! We sent out a save the date with the link to the website, as you mentioned the planning pages were very helpful. When we edited our webpage, we were able to hide the RSVP... or maybe I didn't add their names until closer to the date, once invites were sent out. We heard back from most people that they loved the website to help plan and follow along like a blog Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I sent out save the dates a year before our original wedding date. Since we're getting married in a different province and our entire guest list is traveling to the city we're getting married in, we wanted all of our guests know in advance to be able to start looking at accommodations and travel ahead of time since we're getting married in a place that hotels and air bnb's fill up fast

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent out save the dates just over a year before our wedding as we have lots of guests traveling and wanted to give them plenty of notice. We did include our wedding website so people can see what hotels and stuff we are reccomending. We are using with joy for our website and we have the RSVP page hidden so guests can't RSVP yet
  • Chelsey
    Beginner October 2022 Ontario
    Chelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've decided to skip the save the dates, make one nice invitation i'll send out 6 months before and include the link to the website for people to RSVP. We did engagement pics so I wanted to be able to use them but also significantly reduce the cost of stationary. Anyone that lives near me, I'll just hand deliver to save on postage too lol

• Rebecca
    Newbie November 2022 British Columbia
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could also include a note on the back of the invitation to RSVP on the website. Save the date cards are not really necessary, but what I am doing with mine is having it printed with a picture and then families can put it up on the fridge (cause we don't actually have many professional photos).

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you don't have any out of town guests who need to make travel and accommodation arrangements, Save The Dates are unnecessary in my opinion.
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do save the dates, my understanding is a lot of people skip them nowadays. Especially with dates changing so often due to covid.

If you do decide to send them, they're typically just the area and the date, usually not even the address of the venue, so I wouldn't put your wedding website on them for the same reasoning you mentioned of people being able rsvp before you send the invites.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics