Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hilary
Newbie October 2021 Nova Scotia

Save the dates

Hilary, on November 10, 2019 at 18:07 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Hey brides!
Congratulations to you all!
Looking for some advice- Our wedding is October 2021 in Halifax, however most of our guests being invited will be traveling from Ontario, British Colombia and even Dominican Republic! When should we be sending our save the dates to ensure that our guests have enough time to plan travel? I feel like the typical 8-9 months just isn’t enough time for those to make plans for travel. Would Jan 2020 be too early for an Oct 2021 wedding?
Let’s hear all your thoughts!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on November 13, 2019 at 16:02
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For out of country guests, I would give about a year's notice.

Our of province, I feel like the typical 9 months is fine.

• Emily
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We gave a year's notice- there is no harm in sending it early, it just ensures people know to plan accordingly! And it gets people to stop messaging you asking over and over and over Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would give a year notice for out of country guests. as soon as we had our date booked with our venue we ordered save the dates and mailed them immediately in case people need flights, visas, travel, time off work, car rentals, hotels, child care etc.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Seeing as how you have guests from out of country I would say that to send them at January 2020 would be fine - never heard of anybody complaining that they got TOO MUCH notice! If it were me I would just email those select people though and send all the Save the Date's out at the one and a half year mark though (April - which also means that you can save on postage by handing them out at Easter if you celebrate it!)

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello fellow Halifax Bride!

My wedding is October 2020 and I haven't sent save the dates yet, but we've told most of our out of town guests the date so they can start planning travel.

I don't think January is too early to send a save the date, I think the invitation should be sent in the same calendar year so I would hold off on sending those.

You've got a date set and people traveling from far away, so send those save the dates whenever you want!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Giving guests overseas a heads up for the wedding date can be useful a year in advance and in Canada, 6 months ahead to take the days off needed from work.

Overseas guests would need more time to get their visas taken care of beforehand and book their days off and airline tickets if they have to save up and fly out here.

Canadian residents don't need as much time due to having the flight arrangements to be done only and booking the room to stay.

The invitation itself will give them all the information otherwise needed after your save the date.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd send yours around the year mark (October 2020) for your wedding - January 2020 is too early IMO.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They probably can't shop for or book flights until early 2021, so I would think sending out save the dates about a year out would be more than enough time.

We have family coming from Wisconsin for our October 2020 wedding and it is still too early for me to track flight deals or book Air B& B's. My internal planner wants to book it all now!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like if you are talking to family now that is travelling. Give them the date so they can start to plan. My sister was coming from Australia and as soon as we figured out a date I let her know right away!
    Sending save the dates too early people will forget. If you are doing a wedding website you can add that information on the website and start giving it to guests.
    Aside from that, I would send out your save the dates about a year in advance to the ones who are the farthest away (DR) and then the ones from other provinces about the 8-10 month mark.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm addressing my Save The Dates right now. The plan is to get them out in the next few weeks for our September 2020 wedding (10 months early). That's tons of time for our out-of-towners to arrange travel and accommodations.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent mine around the 10 month mark, but then I only have one guest that has to make travel arrangements and even she knew about the date 13 months out and began planning/money saving as soon as she could. So it's helpful in that regard for those specific guests for sure to know the date, even if you don't send the save the dates until further down the road, just sending those people a quick email is never a bad thing to give them that extra time to plan/save
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes way too early. I sent my save the dates for my July 2020 wedding in July of 2019 and people were confused.

I’d send it 9-11 months before.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics