Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erica
Newbie October 2023 Ontario

Save the date vs wedding invitations

Erica, on October 26, 2022 at 01:04 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
Hi there! I am newly engaged, and am entering the world of wedding planning! Can anyone explain to me the difference between sending out “save the dates” and “wedding invitations”. When do you send them? Do you need to send out both?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on October 31, 2022 at 11:11
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The difference between Save the Date and the actual invitation is the details included and timing.

Save the Date is your basic information to keep clear of the wedding to come ahead. The size of the card can be of a postcard.

The actual invitation is sent out 2-3 months ahead of the wedding with 4-6 weeks of the RSVP date and the full information provided of the location, time and attire, along with any other information to be covered as room blocks pricing and names.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save the date are giving your guests a heads up that they're invited and something to look forwards to down the road. Where the actual invitation formally invites them with all the details.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like everyone nailed in on this discussion.

For myself, it came down to what I wanted to spend money on and our wedding timeline. Because we got engaged and married within a year, I knew I didnt need to send both. I opted for sending save the dates pretty much as soon as we had a date, with option to rsvp early. I also crafted my own to save a bit of money. Then closer to the date, I sent more information with times ect digitally.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to the group Smiley smile

Save the date is just to help your guest know when you plan on getting married. I sent mine 13 months in advance because of the 2020/2021 back log in weddings being pushed to 2022/2023 and wanted to be the first to let my friends and family add it to the Calander.

Most people do this 6 months before the big day, and the actual invites they say 2-4 months before the date. I think it should go with how many out-of-town guests you may have or if it's a destination Wedding, to give your guest plenty of notice to book travel arrangements and accommodations.

• L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of wedding planning! We sent save the dates back in August to everyone we want to come to our wedding. That way they have the time to book work off, find accommodations, and find babysitters for their children (we're having a child free wedding). We still have people on our invite list that we'll send invitations to (my parents/in-laws' friends); however, they're not a priority to invite.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save the dates are like "hey were getting married on this day" if anyone may have to travel I recommend adding the city of the wedding on the save the date. Typically sent a year in advance. The wedding invite is more detailed. Ex. Date, time, specific venue, etc. Usually sent about 4 months before
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats Erica, welcome to this fabulous/so helpful website! : )

I always appreciate Save the Dates and we did send ours out about 10 months before (I think it is especially appreciated if you are having your wedding out of town/country - allows guests to plan and save) but it's not an absolute must I would say. We also sent these free via an online website so no cost : )

We mailed our wedding invites out about 3 months before our date : )

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats Erica on your engagement and welcome to Weddingwire. Not necessary to send out both. However, if you choose, sending Save the dates are a great way to announce your exciting news and gives people a heads up about your intended date. You can always send a free online Save the date invite to your guests. i did mine online through Evites and plan on mailing my wedding invites.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics