Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jasmine
Newbie September 2018 British Columbia

Save the date/invites

Jasmine, on January 17, 2018 at 03:06 Posted in Before the wedding 0 19
I’m getting married on Sept 28, 2018. I was just wondering if I should send out save the dates and invites or just stick with invites!? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Lor, on January 26, 2018 at 16:04
  • Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with everything. Its a total waste of money in our opinion.

We did the same and just kind of passed around the date to make sure people knew to expect something and to make sure to have the date off. We're sending our invited next month.

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I think save the dates are a waste of money ( just my opinion.. I’m trying to keep the cost down) to avoid the stess I just contacted my family that lives far away to formally let them know that they will be receiving an invite but I still wanted to give them enough advance to plan. I know some might say it sounds tacky, but at the end of the day, your wedding is for you. No one else. If someone wants to get huffy about it then perhaps they shouldn’t be there. Don’t forget that you’re planning this big day solely for you and your husband to be to celebrate your love! I wish you luck!
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married in September and sent out save the dates super early - like October last year. The reason we did it is because everyone is going to have to travel (it's 3 hours away from our hometown), & with it being a busy time for weddings, back to school & it's a long weekend (September long) we wanted to give everyone ample notice.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent electronic save the dates as we had lots of out of town guests and we wanted them to have as much notice as possible.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped save the date and sent out the invites mainly.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are only sending invites. We will be having some guests from other provinces, some from US and some from Europe and we notified them via Skype/phone etc about the wedding day.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends if you have any out-of-town guests. If you have lots of them, then it's a nice little heads-up. There are so many free email options out there, it wouldn't be hard to coordinate.

If most or all of your guests are local, then you can definitely skip them altogether.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I never sent out save the dates, but we planned our wedding in 10 months, so I felt like there wasn't time. I did have out of town guests, so we sent the invites out 5 months earlier to make sure they had enough time to plan. If you're planning a summer wedding, I would either send out save the dates so people can plan their vacations appropriately or send out the invites early.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipped save the dates. We are getting married August 4th and almost everyone knows we are getting married already especially those travelling. We are sending out invitations March with 2 months to give us a response and than send out a second wave of others don't respond as we have an extended list and an after party list. 250 guests plus about 30 on the extended list and than the after party list about 50.
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would skip the save the dates and just send out the invites. Or email save the dates, it'll cost you nothing.
  • Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are only doing invites, sending out March/April, but most, if not all guests know when our wedding is! We are inviting 130 and I made an effort to let people know, especially out of town guests
  • R
    Newbie August 2018 Prince Edward Island
    Ryan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save-the-dates should be sent to out-of-town guests 6-8 months prior to the wedding, and invitations should be sent to all guests 4-6 months prior. It is not necessary but is thoughtful and could mean more people can attend from out-of-town. Sending the invitations as early as possible eliminates the need to send save-the-dates.
  • Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're getting married in October, I have alot of guests from different provinces coming in so I sent out save the dates with our Christmas cards and I'll send out invitations in April/May
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in August and doing both. I wanted to do save the dates because it's a popular time for weddings/vacations and also our wedding will be adults only so we wanted to give plenty of notice for that.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did both but we only did save the dates because a lot of our family and friends plan big vacations in the springtime some we wanted to give them plenty of notice and our invites will be sent out much closer to the date
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent out save the dates 10 months in advance because of our out of province guests and will be sending invitations 3-4 months in advance.

My friend is getting married the week before you and they are didn't do save the dates and are planning on sending out invitations in February.

• Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am getting married Sept 15th this year. We aren't doing save the dates. We figured we would just send out invites sooner. We are sending them out around February/ March. Also we have an engagement pic that says our date on it and just posted it to fb. Atleast that way it gets it in people's head before the invite .
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent out save the dates.

I got them on magnets from Vistaprint (when they had a 50% sale going on!) I figured people would just throw away a piece of paper.

I enjoyed seeing them on peoples fridge when I would visit!

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married September 15th and just sent out our save the dates last Wednesday. We only did them because a childhood friend of mine is a graphic designer and we wanted her to do our invitations so it was sort of like a try out for that. She did a fantastic job!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics