Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joanne
Curious October 2021 Ontario

Save the date/invitations

Joanne, on January 3, 2021 at 02:36 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 11

Hi everyone,
My wedding date is set to Oct 10/2021. We made a list for 160 people if covid gets better and a list of 50 people if it doesn’t get better. How early should save the dates be sent out? Also, should I sent save the date to all 160 and when the date comes closer if covid doesn’t get better just notify everyone due to covid we have to decrease the guest count then sent actual invites to just the 50 people?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 11, 2021 at 10:55
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save the Date can be sent out for your guests to make arrangements needed for the first 50 list. This way your assured to have that number secured and not the full list. A disclaimer is good to add letting them know updates may follow due to Covid. The invitations itself can be sent out 3 months ahead to get the RSVP for count to give your vendors 6 weeks prior to the date.

• Joanne
    Joanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Victoria!
  • Victoria
    Newbie October 2022 New Brunswick
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know it's a little unconventional, but I have seen articles of zoom weddings. However, invite your closest family and friends within your allotted 50 guests with formal invitations, and if you still want everyone on your list to attend, mention on your save the dates that if restrictions are in place the number has been reduced but they are more than welcome to join the ceremony via zoom. That way you still "have" everyone you want there, while adhering to restrictions.

• Joanne
    Joanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a good disclaimer! Thanks!
  • B
    Newbie August 2021 Alberta
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent out save the dates in October for our upcoming august wedding to all 100 people. I did add a disclaimer on them 'invitations to follow dependent on government restrictions closer to date'.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I personally would send them to everyone just so that all of your guests knows when your wedding is. And if things don't get any better for gathering sizes when the time comes to sent out your invitations, you can send the ones you can't invite a little note just letting them know the reason why you can't invite them at this moment in time.

My fiance and I did that when we sent out our second save the dates when we postponed out August 8 2020 wedding back in May to August 7 2021. Just so that everyone knew what was going on if they needed to change their accommodations if they already made hotel reservations. And when the time comes in early May when we will be sending out our invitations, if we can't have everyone there, we will be sending them a little note why we can't have them celebrating with us right now. Most people will understand the reasoning why we can't have everyone with us right now anyways

• Bailey
    Curious October 2021 Alberta
    Bailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I have my wedding planned for October 23/21 ! And due to my caterers scheduling he wanted RSVPs in my June 1! I don’t want to be that person sending early but most of my guests are from Newfoundland and Ontario and the wedding is in edmonton ! I feel like even invitations in certain circumstances sent early is not so much of a bad thing ?
    I could also get an opinion on what I’m doing too ? Do anyone think April would be too early to be sent out ?!
  • Joanne
    Joanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Would you send to all 160 then if the restrictions continue resend notices letting them know depending on the restriction capacity they cannot attend? I just want people to know we were going to invite them precovid. Then send actual invites to 50 or whatever the limit is?
  • Joanne
    Joanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree. And my fiancé has some of his family from Calgary. I doubt they will allow 160 as well. So still send save the date for 160? So they know Atleast we were going to invite them precovid? And when it gets closer should we send notice saying they are unable to come due to capacity and covid restriction?
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would send out the save the dates probably at least 7 to 8 months in advance just in case for people that are having to travel and having to find accommodations for your wedding.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Because your wedding is on Thanksgiving weekend, I would suggest invites go out 6 months in advance (so in your case, by May). I highly doubt people will make plans to go away during a pandemic, but you never know... Give them three months to respond (end of July). Provided the venue needs your numbers 4 weeks in advance, that gives you an extra month to round up any late replies (it will happen) and sort everything out before handing over the guest list to the venue.

Are all 160 people relatively local (max 2 hour drive, no one flying in)? If so, I think you can just send it to the 50 in the first round and then by maybe late June-ish, depending on how things go with vaccinations and numbers, you can maybe send out the rest then. If I'm to be brutally honest though, I highly doubt 160 people will be allowed. If you host your reception outdoors, you might be able to have 100 but that's provided you're in an Orange Zone (unlikely, since you need to have less than 40 cases per week to be in Orange and even during the summer, Toronto never went that low) and rules don't change (even if the province allows it, the city might keep it strict).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics