Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charlotte
Frequent user July 2021 Ontario

Save the date cards? Invites?

Charlotte, on March 23, 2020 at 19:09 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
We are getting married July 24, 2021. It’s over a year in advance. We were originally planning to skip save the date cards and just send out invites early, as people book summer vacations. However I’m now thinking a reminder would need to be sent closer to the date.
Maybe save the date cards with location in the coming months and then a formal invite a few month before?
What are your guys thoughts?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Charlotte, on April 18, 2020 at 08:31
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m thinking we’ll do that! Still several months til it’s a year away. Also hoping to have pictures done to put on save the dates, but we’ll have to see with the virus
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did save the dates a year in advance and when we handed them out we had people thank us cuz they were planning events/vacations during our wedding. we have familiy traveling in from far and we wanted them to be able to come so the more time they know helps them. i personally would send save the dates but you dont have too. i know tons of people who didnt

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone!
    Our families are 6 hours apart. We have chosen to get married in a city close to my family. Therefore many guests need to travel or at least make arrangements for the evening as they can’t walk or cab home. It’s also in the summer and people tend to book summer holidays early. I think just under a year for save the date (I’ll include venue address) and then maybe 5 months in advance a formal invitation.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I did find the invitations were easily lost and asked to send through social media. For that reason, i realized my mistake and should have sent them 4 months ahead to avoid this.
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    With sending them 9 months in advance, did you find people remembered or did you find yourself having to remind guests?
  • First
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    First ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm getting married August 28, 2021 so I haven't sent anything yet. I think I will send out my save the dates just under a year in advance because I have some guests that will need to make travel arrangements, and then the invites probably 5 or 6 months ahead. One advantage of the save the dates is that you don't have to send them to everyone, just the people you know you want to come and want to give an extra heads up to.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry for the date mishap. I did send the invites about 9 months prior which seems longer than the usual. 4 months is a good time for your guests to receive the invites as the planner would recommend.
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a great point! Thank you!
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! That’s kind of what I was thinking too
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our wedding is next summer so all this should be over by then. I’m wondering how far in advance to send out wedding invitations and what I can do so that people remember and don’t forget.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't get a lot of Save the Date invitations since its just a small notification of knowing the couples date. I skipped this part as speaking to the family often was happening and they were aware to mark it or know when to make their plans. The main invitations are important for its information and travel plans to arrange on the guests part. Considering what the situation is given, the venue may keep the date or choose to be closed still on the safer side. Ask your venue to see what they are doing or going about this whole closure. Postponing without penalty may be an option to choose by talking to the venue coordinator. Once the decision is made, invites can be sent or remade by contacting the company to get no charge for date change.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent our save the dates out about 9-10 months out, which seems to have been a good time to do it. We're having a 2-year engagement so we had to send something out a) to give an extra heads up to the ones coming from out of town/province/country, and b) just to put out something official to get people off our backs about the date.

Our invites are going out in a month or so (5 months in advance). If you send invites too early, I guarantee people will forget about them and you'll have to hound more about sending back their RSVPs.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m hopefully getting married in July of this year.

I did save the dates and invites - mainly because a lot of our guests are teachers and plan their vacations during July, and also - just in general people are usually away.
    So we did our save the dates exactly a year out and I don’t recommend it. I would send them 8-10 months out. Whichever you feel more comfortable with.
    People were confused what year it was in (even though it was written on it), complained about having to look at us for a year (joking but not really joking if you know what I mean), etc.
    So definitely recommend sending save the dates 8-10 months out, and then invites like 6-3 months out - again, whatever your comfortable with. We sent our invites out just over 4 months in advance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics