Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Same sex couples - choosing your attire

Joey, on November 17, 2017 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 20

It can be a real challenge for some same sex couples - how do you ensure your wedding day outfits will compliment each other when you want to keep your outfit a surprise for the wedding day? Will you shop together? Will you try to keep your idea a total secret? Will you make a plan before shopping and try to stick to a common theme? What happens if you fall in love with an outfit that is totally different from what your partner plans to wear? Will you try to match accessories? Will you designate someone who will see both of your outfits to help you coordinate? Share your tips and questions here!

Same sex couples - choosing your attire 1

Photo by foudamour in Montreal

Same sex couples - choosing your attire 2

Photo by Donovan Bissett in Calgary

Need more ideas? Here are some ways to shop for matching wedding attire without ruining the surprise.

20 Comments

Latest activity by DivaBitch, on May 15, 2018 at 22:36
  • DivaBitch
    Newbie August 2016 California
    DivaBitch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wore Custom Dress Shirt Dresses. We knew the styles would compliment one another but didn't know eachother's look until the big day. We were very happy how it turned out.

Dress Shirt DressesSame sex couples - choosing your attire 3

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The initial plan was her in a dress and me in a suit, but the right dress came along for me and changed that Smiley laugh

We will both be in dresses, both likely to be ivory. I tried my dress on while shopping on a whim and fell 100% for it. The only problem was she was with me and saw it. I'm not worried about it so to save us from superstitious parents, she's pretending she didn't see it! I trust that she'll pick something that matches since she remembers what mine looks like.

• Cameron
    Newbie March 2020 British Columbia
    Cameron ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm wearing a dress and my fiance will wear a suit. She'll pick the suits with her half the wedding party though, we'll pick thier ties to match the bridesmaids dresses. We're going to plan a shopping to in Calgary to pick outfits. I'm excited!
  • Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi there! The place that's caters to women ad well as men for custom tailored suits is called Made 2 Measure. I follow them on Instagram and their work looks awesome. My fiancé w/o be getting het suit made there. Hope this is helpful. Good luck and congrats
  • Trisha
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Trisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    HI there...

My fiancee is looking for something similar like this suit...You mentioned you knew a tailor who customizes for women? Wondering if you could share that information? I am looking for one too. Thanks.

• Natalee
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FW and I are both wearing dresses and the only thing we know about each other’s dresses is that they are white! I can’t wait to see her for the first time....sigh...Smiley love Smiley love Smiley love
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got indian outfits which i had to see what would look good on him his choice of colour and style. Accessories i chose. We knew what we were wearing.

Same sex couples - choosing your attire 4

Same sex couples - choosing your attire 5
  • Dionne
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe you can both go to a rental place and try on styles and colours together and than choose separately. You will still be surprised. It would be awesome if you ended up choosing the same. Good luck

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Tha sounds all great! So happy for you Smiley smile
  • Dionne
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very exciting indeed! I have chosen a style I like and I know I want a touch of subtle colour, like champagne or blush. I want my dress to sparkle with her in satin I think that will work, as neither of us will be in bright white. We will be complimentary rather than matching

• Joey
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmm. Maybe you could shop once together for matching-ish suits, but then shop separately for the other elements - shoes, shirts, ties etc. Then you'd be sure to compliment each other as your suits would be the same color and fabric, but you could style them totally differently. Or you could go inspiration suit shopping together, either in person or online, so you each get a sense of the general style your partner is likely to choose and you'll know how to compliment it, without actually seeing each other in the suits themselves.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maybe you can kind of discuss the colour palette as well as the type ( for instance, number of buttons, 2- or 3- piece suit etc)?
    In this way you will not see each other’s garment before the wedding and you will be complementing one another Smiley smile
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That must be so exciting! Have you picked your dress? Is it going to match the inspiration suit?
  • H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm really struggling with this right now. My fiancee and I will both be wearing suits. We want to complement each other, but not match exactly, while not seeing each other in our outfits before the day.

I have no idea how we are going to accomplish this.

I would really love to get a nice custom suit, but I'm not sure we could afford it.

• Dionne
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wasn't sure at first but I love it now. She will wear one in lilac. It will really suit her. I love the one button it will rally accent her curves

• Joey
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love it. The jacket is a great length and I love that is has a vest. How do you feel about the cravat?

• Dionne
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the inspired look...We have a ways to go yet in terms of dates and we have found a tailor who customizes for women as well as men.Same sex couples - choosing your attire 6

• Joey
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooooooh, a custom suit! Have you started the design process yet? Any inspo pics?

• Dionne
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My partner and I are shopping separately. I will wear a gown and she will wear a custom made satin suit. She wants me involved in planning of her suit design and wants me to shop with her. My gown will be a total surprise to her

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think it is nessessary to coordinate. When i attended a friends wedding they both wore dresses that did not match in the least... One wore an ivory dress, very form fitting and elegant, with a fascinator style veil and the other wore a very white dress with purple panels in it, a-line style with no veil. So the dresses contrasted a fair bit but they still looked stunning together! I think as long as each person is happy with their attire itll be great Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics