Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sonja
VIP September 2017 Ontario

Rustic Theme Overdone? Yay or nay.

Sonja, on October 18, 2017 at 21:12

Posted in Before the wedding 40

Hi Ladies, do any of you feel that "everyone" is doing the rustic theme these days and it's getting old? (no pun intended). There are so many options for wedding themes but it seems that many brides are choosing rustic just because it's currently popular. Are any ladies steering away from this theme...

Hi Ladies, do any of you feel that "everyone" is doing the rustic theme these days and it's getting old? (no pun intended). There are so many options for wedding themes but it seems that many brides are choosing rustic just because it's currently popular. Are any ladies steering away from this theme in favour of something unique and different?

40 Comments

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a "rustic" wedding because the venue was considered rustic/Victorian. The ceremony was outside amongst the trees so we involved a lot of greenery. We both love the look and feel of "rustic" so we went with it but added our own touches. I agree with what Hj said in that it shouldn't matter if it's "overdone", as long as you like it that's all that matters!
  • H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I truly don't get the obsession with uniqueness in themes and decor in wedding planning. It almost borders on narcissistic. There are thousands of weddings every year - whatever your theme or colour scheme, it's been done! When particular styles are in fashion, more decorators/stores will carry them, and therefore more people will continue to use them - it's convenient and available.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it’s the look & feel you want for your wedding then it shouldn’t matter if it’s popular or not. We did candles on tree stumps for table decor just because we got married outside in the forest, so we continued that into the evening. If that is the popular thing great, but it’s what we wanted for our wedding and we loved it.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    About three years ago, when we were just talking about one day getting married one day, rustic wasnt really big and just starting to surface. We both loved the idea of the vintage/rustic look and decided on that. Now, its everywhere and i feel like our wedding wont be truly unique but my FH assures me it will be unique to us as its our wedding. I opted to throw some glitz/bling into the mix with sequin tablecloths on the dessert and gifts table. And we dont have any burlap or rustic cakes plates etc. I do have a lot of lace but i have always loved lace and pearls so it was very "me" to include it in the decor (even my dress is complete lace). Weve decided to call it "rustic glam" as theres elements from rustic themes and glam themes.
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I would say that your wedding was rustic. I'm not sure what you mean when you write, "It depends on what you qualify as rustic". Are there different definitions of rustic?

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds very nice, Lisa. Do you have any samples of what you'd like to have at your wedding?

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm the farthest away from this theme. I appreciate that people like it but it's way overdone in my opinion. My decor is more minamilst classy elegant. With white marble and gold. I'm accenting with peach light pink and dark pink for my flowers.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on what you qualify as rustic. We had a "rustic" wedding by most people's standards because we had our reception in a barn. We got married on some family property that we both love and means a lot to me as it had always been a dream of mine to get married there. We both love the outdoors and gardens and wooden structures so it felt right for us. We didn't have any hay bails and tons of burlap and lace everywhere. It was just a reflection of who we are: laidback not fussy people who just wanted to share the occasion with friends and family.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics