Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sonja
VIP September 2017 Ontario

Rustic Theme Overdone? Yay or nay.

Sonja, on October 18, 2017 at 21:12 Posted in Before the wedding 0 40

Hi Ladies, do any of you feel that "everyone" is doing the rustic theme these days and it's getting old? (no pun intended). There are so many options for wedding themes but it seems that many brides are choosing rustic just because it's currently popular. Are any ladies steering away from this theme in favour of something unique and different?

40 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 27, 2018 at 09:44
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Rustic theme is still popular. Its always based on the couples if they prefer that style. I know I'm not a fan of it. Follow your heart and go that direction if thats what you want.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When sitting down with our co-ordinator I literally told her I don't want anything burlap and no wood discs but it had nothing to do with them being part of the popular thing right now, it's all because they are not "us" or what we are going for. My best friend just got married and they were part of her decor and looked absolutely fantastic! Never worry about what others have done if that's what you really want. No two weddings will ever be exactly alike (just like brides!) so if you like it, make it your own.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It seems that "Rustic" seems to be the wedding theme these days but in all fairness coming from a farming background and cowgirl boot wearing roots I am one of the rustic gals.I can't wait to have my photos in my cowgirl boots, with my horse, with the shotguns blazing. Have the cows mooing in the background even though my FH isn't keen on the smell as it will be an outdoor wedding. (Still deciding on location as we have 2 beautiful places we can have our wedding). But in all fairness we are adding our own touches to the wedding with black table clothes and purple table runners not burlap. There will be different aspects to our wedding but there definitely will be rustic elements in it. Or as I call it my backyard.

• Dani
    Frequent user February 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think its a little over done but it depends on the couple's style. We are having just a standard typical wedding style but we are adding video game elements to it because my FH is huge into video games and I love nintendo games.

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree that it’s getting to be over done, I mean if you like it then that’s awesome and I’m happy for you. I would prefer my wedding to be a little more unique for myself (I’m a lover of all things decor).. I also love twine and all the rustic decor in my house but I’m going for more of a vintage glam look ( doilies, lace, old vases, navy, gold, and blush ) I also do a lot of shopping on buy & sell groups and I swear 90% is all rustic and twine.. so it’s kind of driving me crazy looking for the things I need lol
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its popular for sure, and i love it, but its not for me, (it would be easier since there is so much on resale sites) I feel it will be "out" and "overdone" soon, but does that matter if it's what you like? Because, that's what you need to do. We are going more classic elegance because that is us- old world glamour, Sinatra, romance, a vintage gown etc. and I don't really care if it is "in" or not, because for us it is 100% in style.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in a barn, so there is literally no escaping the rustic theme for us! I don't necessarily think our theme is "rustic" we are both country people so it's a country wedding if anything!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maybe but I don't know a single couple who will tuck themselves away for the entire length of their engagement in order to not be influenced by anything or anyone outside of themselves. I think sharing a common theme with other couples is just fine and we all add our own little personal touches to make it different and special.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, Erin. Things have changed now that more couples are paying. It used to be that the parents had more influence but now the advertisers and wedding designers have the influence. I think the only true way that a couple can have the wedding they want is if they dream it up themselves without checking what others are doing (i.e. magazines and Pinterist).

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha, ha, Hj. I love the expression, "constant navel-gazing". Yes, I do see your point now.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Tiffany, The rustic theme is very nice but when everyone is doing it, it loses it's charm. Good for you for trying to put your own personal taste into your wedding.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's very true, Caitie.bell.

• Stacy
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Stacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that goes to say with ANY trend to be honest ! Everyone does it because it on trend or they love the theme and then next year its a different theme. Everyone should pick what they like and that's that ! My fiance actually wanted a rustic wedding theme, we are hardcore camping/adventure/outdoor people and having our wedding in a barn- so the theme is perfect. Who's to say you cant take a current theme and make it your own, there's always a way! Your wedding it should always be what YOU and your Fiance want Smiley smile

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Much like everything else the trends ebb and flow with the times. I agree that people trying to make their ballroom wedding rustic seems a little counter-intuitive. I also think that things have changed drastically in wedding trends since couples started paying for their own weddings and they don't just have to accept whatever their parents want, since the parents are paying.

• H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Youre misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that happening to have interests that don't happen to be popular right now is narcissistic. I'm saying that fussing about whether or not something is "unique" enough is. Pick things you like for your wedding. If other people like them too, great! If not, you might have to work harder to find them. But the constant navel-gazing "do my napkin rings showcase me and my fiances Unique Love and Story enough"/"I can't possibly have the same colours/dress style/decor style as other brides" is incredibly embarrassing.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on rustic decor. My fiancee and I will be doing very minimal decorating because our venue doesn't require a lot. Probably a couple of plants and some lights.

• Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love the rustic theme because of Pinterest, but I agree it's so overdone. Unless you're actually holding your wedding outdoors, or at a farm... just don't lol. Burlap at a fancy banquet hall sounds a bit weird.

Initially I was going towards so "rustic" elements because it makes up almost 70% of pinterest boards, but who was I kidding, I'm a city girl. It's not me. lol. I had my wedding at a banquet hall with a romantic, almost whimsical theme. I did have some DIY elements inspired by the rustic theme though lol. (i.e. for centrepieces.. instead of mason jars, I used wine bottles and candles.. instead of wood slabs, i used charger plates)

• Caitie.bell
    Beginner June 2018 Ontario
    Caitie.bell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I've been thinking. I want a grey/deep purple colour scheme and at first felt the pressure to do something different since these colours are so on trend right now. But then I thought, "Wait, my fiance and I love these colours, they'll be available everywhere since they're so popular, so why shouldn't we go with something we love?" All people are going to care about is whether or not they have a good time.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Maegan, It sounds like you are a "rustic" kind of girl. I can definitely see why you are going with this theme.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it is overdone nowadays, but we will be going with the rustic theme ourselves anyway for a couple of reasons. 1. We are having a backyard wedding with a 'forest' kind of theme. Our ceremony will be in a local park. All our wedding photos will be taken in the forests. 2. I refuse to buy decorations because wedding are already so ridiculously expensive. 3. This may sound tacky, but i really do feel the decorations represent us. We are very outdoorsy people, we both grew up on farms, i work for the Ministry of Forests. 4. I have ALWAYS loved rustic thened decor since i was a little girl and just cuz everyone else jumped on the bandwagon doesnt mean i dont still love them. 5. Everything will be DIY from what we have available on the farm already. We took down a couple douglas firs on the property last year (safety reasons) so i will be using stumps and log cookies from that as decor. And i have a billion mason jars sitting around from all the salmon canning we do so will use those with maybe rocks in the bottom and tea lights. And the property used to be a tree farm. So they have stacks and stacks of burlap that they used to wrap tree roots in when they were dug up. So i may use the burlap. Undecided on that for now... Will depend how clean it is when i pull it outta the barn to look at it. Also looking at the idea of making decorations out of old bottles (wine, craft beer bombers, whiskey, etc) but have yet to come to a final decision on that. End of the day it might be overdone but it is beautiful and the decorations are readily available if you want to buy them off craigslist so still not a bad option in my opinion Smiley smile
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's so true! We love to go antiquing to furnish and decorate our house!

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love vintage too. I have a lot of antique furniture and dishes and just appreciate the quality with which things were made years ago. You can't duplicate the intricate workmanship in a factory.

• Ap2017
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! That was the vintage side of our theme Smiley smile We just love all things vintage and my husband does a lot of woodworking, so those two things just sort of naturally came together for our theme.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you're right, Andrea. You may live in an old farmhouse but want a glamorous wedding. By the way, your dress is beautiful and there is nothing rustic about it. It's glamorous and you look like a 1940's film star!

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Jen, Finally I'm not getting beaten down for an opinion. You've noticed it too! I'm not down on couples having the wedding they want. My point was that there didn't seem to be much difference from one wedding to the next. Everyone was doing a rustic theme and claiming that it was a reflection of their personalities. It's a FAD, people and you don't have to go for it just because it's popular. Sorry for the rant.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Jen889, This is exactly the point I was trying to make: it's everywhere now. Kudos to you for doing a variation on this theme and renaming it. I'll bet that there will be others who will say that "rustic glam" is just what they like and then there will be a run on that theme with everyone doing it.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sound really nice, Daphne. I questioned whether the decision to go with this theme is born out of advertising in wedding magazines and Pinterest, or whether the couple thought this was a unique idea. It appears that everyone is doing it.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my lanta, YAY. It's WAYYYY too overdone (no offence to those doing it!) We have a Facebook group here in Thunder Bay where you can buy and sell used items from your wedding and every single bride lately has done nothing but post rustic type items. Burlap, cookie cutter wooden table slabs for centrepieces, mason jars, etc. It's just too much. If you were having your wedding in a bar then definitely go for it.. but not in a ballroom... and here in Thunder Bay, we don't have farms for you to have a wedding at unless you own one so most of the weddings are thrown in fancy ballrooms lol

• Ap2017
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's just like anything that's in fashion - it will be for a while then something else will take over as the popular thing to do. Our wedding was vintage/rustic, but it fits with our personal style - we live in a 100 year old farmhouse, so no one was expecting that we would choose a modern decor style for our wedding.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Hj, You make a good point about the availability of items depending upon popularity. I'm not sure if I agree that uniqueness is narcissistic. I think some people like to do what is out of the norm just to show their individuality. That's a good thing.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, a couple should have the wedding they want. Personally, I like rustic. I didn't use this theme for my wedding but it's a very nice theme. I was wondering is this is being overdone because of wedding fashion in magazines and Pinterest, or if couples genuinely want an outdoor rustic wedding. Prior to this, outdoor weddings involved setting up a large tent with covered chairs and bringing the formality to the outdoors. That was all the rage a decade ago.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So true! Well said! Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well I find that rustic is often used to just mean an outdoor, more simple wedding. Some people get married outside, a public garden or something, and then have their reception at a fancy restaurant or a reception hall; would you still call that rustic?
    I think if it is something the couple likes and it reflects who they are then go for it. It may not be your taste but that's ok.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics