Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenn
Frequent user March 2019 Ontario

rsvp Timeline

Jenn, on September 10, 2018 at 19:12 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

Hi Everyone!

What is the typical length of time that you give to invitees to RSVP?

I'm looking at ordering invites for my March 2 wedding and not certain when I should send the invites out, and what deadline to give? We have family all over the place, so maybe we should send a bit early? I'm really not sure...any suggestions are much appreciated!!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on September 13, 2018 at 15:41
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say get the invites to them 5-6 months before, if you sent a save the date or most guests already know your date a little less time is fine!

I'm getting married May 24, 2019, invites will be going out around Christmas! And I want my last date to RSVP to be May 1!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The invites were sent out 9 months prior and RSVP date 6 nonths beforehand to get Ahead of timing. I just invited parents of my MOH at the last minute or during the last month to fill the seats. Vendors filled some of the numbers too for meals.
  • Janis
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hooray! Happy to help, brides have to stick together and support one another!! Smiley smile
  • Moira
    Newbie September 2020 Alberta
    Moira ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have the RSVP day be a two months + one week before the hall needs final numbers. That way you have a chance to invite some who maybe didn’t make the first cut or are closer to you now than when the invitations first got sent out. It’s best to give your guests 1-2 months to respond. It’s also best to let guests who live a minimum of a 6 hour drive or longer know this information as far in advance as possible to book travel arrangements.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my October 19, 2019 wedding, I'll probably be sending out invites in April (6 months before) and request RVSPs in June. I might be doing a B-list so I'll need to know if I send those out if I get enough No's ahead of time. I also have the majority of my guests coming from out of town, so they'll need to plan well out in advance.

I'm also doing save the dates in December/January to give everyone a heads up ahead of time, again, mostly do to my circumstances.

I think if you have 1-2 months from sending your invites to RSVP deadlines you should be good, just factor in mailing time, some places might take a week or over to get there. Most of your guests will probably know quickly whether or not they can make it. I'd also recommend doing Save the Dates, especially if you have people from all over.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do save the dates (waste of money in my opinion). for our friends/family that are flying/needed more time. we just called or messaged them to give them a heads up.

our wedding is july 27th, 2019. my hall requires final numbers 1 month before. so we are sending out invites in early april. with an RSVP date of mid-june. so that way I have 2 weeks to call stragglers/people that forgot to rsvp.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was out of town in which all guests needed to travel at least 3 hours to.

We sent out save the dates almost a year in advance, sent out invites mid April for an RSVP date of June 15th. Our wedding was on September 1st. From experience, you will definitely want to make sure you have time between your RSVP date & the time you need to let your vendors know. A lot of people RSVP late! (For us they did anyways). From a planning perspective, knowing early who was coming was key for us. Our venue only had a certain amount of tables (so we had to rent any over the amount they had), layouts of our reception depended on how many was coming. It also changed the budgets, IE extra tables, linen rentals, centrepieces, etc.

Another thing to consider, if a lot of your guests are from out of town, it is nice to give them more time to plan & book accommodations.

• Jenn
    Frequent user March 2019 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like this idea!! Smiley smile I’m in the same situation where some invitees will need to make travel arrangements. Thanks everyone!!
  • Janis
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yay! I feel it gives the guest list an appropriate time frame to let me know if they can make it or not. I’m trying to be courteous without pressure. I recall being invited to two weddings in the past with POOR notice for the guest. I’m all about wedding etiquette and how it reflects on me.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have a similar timeline to this since my family is all flying out!
  • Janis
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Jenn! So I’m sending my invitations out in December, requesting RSVP by end of March (already indicated on my invitations and will be reiterated on our website here), and the wedding is in June. I feel if I spaced the time out generously, it’s fair for my guests to book off time. Also, majority of my family are flying in which is why I need to give an advanced notice. Hope this helps Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my wedding I will be sending out the invitations for the wedding at the 4 month to the wedding mark and requesting the RSVP's in by the 3 month mark so that I can see about sending out more invitations to make up for any no's we receive. After those last ones are sent out we will give them until the 2 month mark unless told we need the final numbers by our venue before then.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on your venue. When are your final numbers due? I only need to give my final numbers 72 hours (3 days) prior, so for our January 19th wedding, I have a December 31st RSVP deadline, giving me almost 2 weeks to deal with stragglers.

Invitations should go out approximately 3 months before the date of the wedding. So for your March 2nd wedding, send them out around the end of November/beginning of December.

If your wedding is out of town, or requires accommodations or travel for multiple guests, they should go out earlier, or at least have a basic Save the Date with some location information provided.

If it's in town, then the 3 month guideline applies! I would say give yourself about 2-3 weeks from your venues final head count deadline for your RSVP deadline.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics