Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Super September 2018 Alberta

Roles in a wedding?

Michelle, on January 5, 2018 at 18:16 Posted in Wedding reception 0 20

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone has dealt with this problem before. I had someone perfect in mind to be our MC. We told him well in advance as well that we would like this person to MC the wedding. Yet this person just told us he was no longer interested, as it was too stressful of a role....I am not going to lie I'm extremely disappointed by this fact. Wedding isn't until September so we have lots of time to find a back up....but I can't help but feel the extra stress all of a sudden.... how did you handle the situation?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on January 9, 2018 at 21:28
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We asked our DJ to MC for us to avoid a situation like this, most DJs shouldn"t have a problem taking on the role. If they told you that it is too stressful then that is far, it would suck for them to back out but being MC is a very big role on someone's wedding day. They control the whole flow of events and because they have to watch the clock to keep on schedule they wouldn't be able to enjoy the night as much. I wouldn't let it bother you
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah something to think about.

• Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been to a lot of weddings and I have to say that the best MC's are the professional DJ's. They can read a crowd and know how to pump them up. Cool Uncle Rob is great guy, but he's not a professional public speaker and his inside jokes are usually only understood by a handful of guests. Let your friend enjoy the wedding and if he isn't comfortable being the MC, you need to accept it and come up with a few tidbits to personalize your wedding through the DJ.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitetly something to think about.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't stress just get the DJ to MC aa ours did and our guests sat back and relaxed. My cousins weddings wkere the same. It will work out for all.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah I think that is something to think about for sure. Will be talking to him again and see if he is still up to it.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin had a very intimate ceremony with no wedding party. So she asked myself and the groom's brother to co-MC the reception. He was in charge of the English part of the MC'ing and I was in charge of the French part.

I was surprised but this but, the couple provided us with a pre-made speech of what we should be saying when, because they didn't want any surprises (embarrassing stories) or want us to feel pressured to come up with the whole thing!

We got the speeches a couple of weeks before the wedding, so we were able to make some tweaks to it, remove some repeated jokes (from French to English).

Do you think your friend would be more willing to do it, if you guys worked with him on what he's expected to do/say during the evening? Or maybe if he and the DJ would co-MC together? That way, he's not alone up there?

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never thought of the DJ but I think FH wants someone that knows to MC. But I'll run it by him and see what he says.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are considering asking our friend to be MC also. He is very charismatic and he doesn't have stage fright. We want that because he knows us and it's more personal. But at the same time he is a guest so we want him to be able to enjoy that and not have a responsibility like that getting in the way of a fun night. We are still going back and forth on if we will ask him or just have the DJ do it. Best way to do it is pros and cons of suppose. Maybe meet with the DJ who will be doing the wedding and see what their personality is like and see if you have a connection where you may be comfortable with him/her doing it.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sadly I know my cousins won't be up for the task....so I haven't bothered asking them. It's just how they are and tbh I haven't spoken or talked to them much in the last couple of yrs either. But never thought of c0-MCs.....that could make it fun Smiley smile thanks for the suggestion.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a plan for co-MCs; they had both been MCs before. The first person thought about it and said yes. The second person said no. We wanted them to do it together; we wouldn't have asked the first person if we knew it was just going to be them. But, we weren't going to "fire" the first person, so we said they could find a co-MC. They will do a good job either way, it just wasn't as we had planned it. Things happen. For me, I've decided not to worry about it unless it is my dress, the venue, or the photographer (my big ones). Everything else will play out as it plays out. I understand that is easier for some people than others though Smiley smile

I hope you are able to work it out. Is there someone else that speaks Mandarin that could co-MC? Or, my friend's aunt is deaf and at her wedding they had the MC and those giving speeches type out what they were going to say. That way, the aunt could follow long. Maybe you could do something similar so your family can read what is being said.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah that's why I was hoping our original MC was willing to do it. He speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin. Not all my family speaks and understands English so by him speaking Chinese it helps so that they don't feel left out. But oh well

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah we did....and he turned it down. So we are working on our back up and hope that they would like do it.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I have an idea of someone in mind that will be our MC who is also in Radio and is the announcer for a Go Cart Race that we take part in every year. She is fun and her personality is amazing. She is not immediate family to either of us so that makes it more interesting and she speaks French. We both have French family so this could spice it up a bit. I don't personally speak French that well.

• J
    Newbie July 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Judyanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ask someone that knows you and your fiance
  • J
    Newbie July 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Judyanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ask someone that know
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah. I would have rather him say he would think about or just flat out say no thanks. Oh well it is what it is.

• Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds super frustrating! I would be stressed out too.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Makes sense. I think what stressed me out and got me frustrated is that the original guy we had planned kept pulling us around never giving a straight answer.....until now. If he was straight forward then that would have been fine...but don't be on the fence about it....

• Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yup! We had this same thing happen. Not entirely resolved...I just want a DJ who will MC, most will...but FH wants someone who knows him. Despite noone wanting to, for this exact reason..the stress.

Sooo..ill keep trying to convince him and he'll keep looking. Thankfully we have lots of time. In terms of resolving it on a personal level...for myself, we just let it lie. I wouldn't want to do it either haha I know sometimes I agree to something initially and then realize the magnitude of what ive signed myself up for. If the anxiety would ruin a friend or family members time at the wedding I wouldn't wish that on them anyways so beyond expressing our disappointment we just said no problem.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics