Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Restricting guestlist but already overpaid venue

Sarah, on January 20, 2021 at 19:00 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
Back in 2019 we gave our venue $2500 deposit and then my father in law gave $10,000 toward the venue. That toward a party of 90-100people. If our guestlist gets cut down to say 50 we will have a couple grand over even after factoring in taxes and other fees. I’ve just emailed the venue to ask but I’m wondering if anyone else has been in this situation? Did your venue give you money back?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Rikki, on January 23, 2021 at 22:40
  • Rikki
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Rikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Sarah! The venue I work for in NOTL would refund you whatever you didn't use after the wedding (as I would hope most would do since you're still hosting your event there). Our weddings that have reduced to 50 but prepaid for 100 have overpaid and do get their money back after the event. I am not sure what your contract says but we have minimum spends and will reduce this amount based on the 50 guests verse the cost for 100. A lot of weddings will add courses or enhance things to use up some of the money if desired as well.

Hope that helps!!

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Interesting, thank you for sharing. While we’re not dead set on anything we are flexible. That said, money back is the ideal option lol
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

By law, they can't just force you to eat the cost for 95 guests when only 50 is allowed. They may not have to refund you but they have to provide alternative arrangements to make the transaction equal for both parties (which could come in form of credits, etc).

Unfortunately, there was a precedent set in BC of a DJ not having to refund a couple their deposit for a cancelled wedding because he offered alternate options (scaling back his services, future use) and because the couple declined, the judge ruled in the DJ's favour. Not sure how much effect it would have on Ontario cases of this nature. If you're not dead set on getting cash back from your payments, I think you'll be okay.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s fine but the contract also states we’d have 90-95 guests or so, which if we can’t by law, then is our contract even legitimate?
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had the same thought regarding credit. It is a “resort” so we can find ways to use it. That’s good about your venue, I’ve emailed mine and they said they don’t know yet but will figure it out by March 1 when they reopen. Kind of annoying!
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s good! Ya I would assume so but I know some venues have been a-holes so I don’t know what to expect
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The amounts paid were deposits, then no refunds would be given back. Venues are very catchy that way of their claus in the contract. You could ask what are the chances of the overpaid amount will happen if you have 50 guests.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fixed it for ya.

We're very fortunate that we haven't had to make any further payments beyond the initial deposit but our venue did say that they will not hold us to our contracted amount or a minimum if the government restricts attendance.

I can definitely see how what you paid would be extravagant for a party of 50. I would ask about it. At the very least, I hope they'll give you the difference in a credit towards a future visit (like a few nights stay, an anniversary dinner, etc).

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have not overpaid but if I only can have 50 I only pay for 50 woth my venue. (Minimum during normal times is 80). I would think they would have to give you your money back of you can only have 50.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well that should definitely say overpaid not overlaid

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics