Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Renting vs buying

Sarah, on May 26, 2019 at 20:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
There’s a couple of items that I’m considering renting instead of buying for the reception but have no idea what’s worth what.
Items are: table runners, charger, and string lights (bulb or Edison style).
Thoughts? Since it’s sunday I can’t call around until tomorrow

8 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on May 27, 2019 at 16:37
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a mix of both. It really depends what you're looking for.

Items we're renting:

brass vases and candle holders (there are 100 pieces, and they're all vintage. it would take a ton of time and money to scout these out myself and buy them)

Easel - it was 3 times the price to buy vs. rent

Glass cake stands - Didn't want a doughnut wall. Displayed on cake stands is a bit more elegant. Again...it would have been a lot more money to buy them vs. renting.

Most of the items I purchased, I bought off of people on my local wedding facebook group. These items will be easy to re-sell later:

Seating cart

Table numbers

Card box

I got 18 lace table runners for only $60 off of ebay, which is a steal! I imagine these will be easy enough to sell afterwards. Not sure what kind of table runners you're after, but I'm super happy with the lace ones I found!

Check your local facebook group first to see if anybody is selling used string lights. I see them all the time on mine. That might be a good purchase item which should be easy to sell afterwards.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Friend was that person that bought all the string lights... and then returned them after the wedding... which I mean ... you gotta do what you gotta do haha.

I found it cheaper personally to buy table runners as opposed to renting.

As for charger plates, it depends what style and colour you are going for.

Here it was like 3 bucks each to rent chargers. And there were ones at Dollar tree for $2 or at bed bath and beyond 6 for $13. So I bought. But that was limited styles and colours. If you want more elaborate ones or something specific renting might be better.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Renting is for sure easier, but not always cheaper. Do some research and see what the difference in pricing is.

If you rent it, you don't have to worry about storing anything and just give it back lol

I would buy if you could re purpose it later so its not just storage!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Right now I'm thinking of just renting so that I don't have to worry about resell tbh. The only thing that I would consider buying for yourself would be the string lights if you have somewhere you would place them after the wedding - like your backyard or something.

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it really depends on pricing of decor rentals. For instance, renting chargers plates here in Vancouver is at least $2.75/each up to $12.50/each. I was able to buy used gold chargers for under $1/each so I jumped at the chance.

Im actually renting my Chiavari chairs from a woman who purchased them for her wedding because she’s renting for much less than the going rate around the city.

Id take a look at different companies and see what’s offered in your area. I live in a big city so there are a lot of options in terms of rental companies as well as buying used.

good luck
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it were me I’d rent all of that. Mainly because it’s easier. Don’t need to worry about storing the items or trying to resell the items later.

im renting all my chargers and linens.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The fees for each item can add up quickly. Base the budget on how many of each would work and how it could make your tables shine.

I could see the charger plates for the centerpiece with tealight holders and candelabra. Runners being on the same size as the table cloth length.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Charger plates***

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics