Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michaela
Beginner June 2022 Ontario

Rent or buy suit??

Michaela, on May 25, 2020 at 20:46 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 21
I need some help in helping my fiancé decide between renting a suit or buying one. What are good recommendations or the differences? Thanks!

21 Comments

Latest activity by Derek, on August 25, 2022 at 01:55
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Although I have my own basic tuxedo that I've owned for 20+ years, we decided against using it for our wedding and went with renting a tailcoat tuxedo (which is NOT easy to find for purchase; most can be gotten through a rental). The other groomsmen are wearing basic black tuxedos.
  • Kathleen
    Beginner August 2022 Quebec
    Kathleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on the suit. My fiancé really wanted to buy his and unfortunately they don’t sell the one he likes and he can only rent it. We had people looking in Montreal,Quebec, Ottawa,Toronto, California &Florida for ur and can’t find it
  • Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much!

• Darmae
    Curious December 2020 Ontario
    Darmae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely buying! We are thinking of getting him a custom tailored suit since FH wears suits a lot 😊
  • Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so cute I love it!!!
  • Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great to know!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah and their stores just opened too.

• Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He usually doesn’t but we have a lot of friends who will be getting married soon so I agree with him buying if he feels comfortable with it ! Thank you
  • Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much! I’ll be sure to tell him to look there
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Moores has a full suit to rent (pants, socks, shirts, tie pocket square everything) to rent for $200 and its another $100 on top if they want to buy. it just depends on what ur hubby wants to do.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends if he likes to dress up or not.
    If you know you have events coming up I would say tell him to buy a suit that he could wear again after the wedding maybe without the jacket or different tie ect.

My FH is big into Tuxedo's and suits & he decided to custom make his own, which he loves!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My DH bought his suit (as well as all the GM bought theirs), and he loves it!! He got it custom made and tailored to his body so he looks real fresh 😎

Plus, it says "Husband material" in it (his GM got their nicknames in theirs)

• H
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Hayle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the groom buying his is so beneficial! Can use it for other purposes etc.
    But for the groomsmen, I think renting suits but from the same place and that either match or look good together if perfectly fine. Especially depending on if you have a large age gap. Some guys aren’t a formal wear guy I.e factory workers and by the time they would wear it again it might not fit. 9/10 times the guys won’t wear suit jackets especially if not formal wear occupation. They might reuse the pants or shirt (if not a certain colour, but most times a male gods to a wedding as a guest they just wear regular dress pants. But if there’s some guys that want to buy and some that want to rent, that shouldn’t be a problem if it goes together.
    My friends wedding they rented suits for $150-200 depending on what tie, clips etc. and what socks they bought to keep. But the groom bought his full suit and it was closer to $300. He never wore the suit again because he is a factory worker and that was 4 years ago.
    My FH is the same he is a factory worker and when we went to higher end restaurants or weddings he just wore dress pants and a plain dress shirt or golf shirt.
    We are giving our guys the option as the suit we tend (style wise) has option to both buy and rent and that will be their choice.
  • Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!!
  • Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree I think buying is better
  • Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good idea!
  • Michaela
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a guy, my rule for suits is always buy. Even if you don't go the bespoke route, you can get an off the rack suit that can be fixed slightly that can fit well and look great for just a tad bit over what you'd be paying for a rental. It's one thing if you're planning on getting a tuxedo and the wedding is the only time you'll wear it but with a suit, there are so many occasions for it: an evening outing, a work function, a job interview, etc. You can never be overdressed with a suit so you can literally wear it for so many occasions.

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband and his best man both bought! While the price is a bit more than renting they have a personalized suit that is completely theirs and can be utilized for formal events after the wedding also! Essentially we figured it would pay for itself in the long run!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided to buy because FH doesn't have one and we have a bunch of weddings and slightly more formal events coming up.

Having something that fits well is important to me and renting doesn't always give you the best fitting suit. The seamstress who worked on my dress also does suits and other clothes so we can have it taken in to fit him perfectly!
  • V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We bought his suit! We figured renting costs like 1/3 of the price, so as long as he wears it three times it pays off! But it’s up to you and if you think he will wear it after. For example, I know that he will wear his suit multiple times, so it pays off. But if I knew he wouldn’t wear it ever again then I would just rent

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics