Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tonya
Curious September 2018 British Columbia

Rehearsal dinner - is it absolutely necessary?

Tonya, on August 28, 2017 at 19:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16
Hey again ladies! I'm asking about a rehearsal dinner and if it's absolutely necessary or not, because, according to etiquette, the bridal party is invited...not a problem, except that the Best Man's wife will probably assume that means their children will be welcome (they aren't and yes, this is the same couple who RSVP'd including their children, and the invite did not include the children..another post, still a thorn in my side but I'm trying to let it go)
Anyhow, trying to figure out where to have this thing (yes, I'm peeved, FH was supposed to take care of this, and 18 days out, I have no idea if he has or not, so trying to take matters into my own hands) and if I really want to do it anyways. I know we're having a rehearsal in the afternoon, but is it ok to just have friends and family stop by my hotel room later in the day to hang out and visit? UGH -I just don't know!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Lor, on January 25, 2018 at 12:02
  • Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it would be best if we did a rehearsal. Probably in the evening after people are done work (Our wedding is on a Friday) and can get together somewhere to discuss it all and have dinner and then go to our separate ways. I dont really want to pay for the officiant extra for a rehearsal...

I think it would be beneficial for people to know where they have to go most importantly. Rather than spend time with half the family and then not with others.

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I feel you! Bride Brain is very real! Smiley smile
  • Tonya
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great idea, Lisa, thank you.! (As I may or may not have mentioned I'm developing 'bride brain' and not thinking about alternative options)
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you do the want to offer a full meal what about going to a cafe or have something brought it? Coffee, Lattes, baked goods? Just so there is a little something. I always try to have something available especially if my family and friends are taking time to help and be there for us.
  • Tonya
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are having a rehearsal so everyone knows what they are doing, but it's in the middle of the afternoon...2:30pm...
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's absolutely necessary! Not because of the food and who to invite but to run through everything that's to happen at the wedding! A friend of mine went to a wedding and she said you could tell they didn't do a rehearsal dinner because everyone was all over the place and disorganized!!!! Very awkward!!
  • Tonya
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Mom had the best idea!! She suggested that some of us get together (brides parents, grooms aunt & uncle, us and the maid of honour) just chill at our place with some takeout & a few drinks. Going to run it by FH tonight...hope he likes the idea as much as I do!!
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't want a rehearsal dinner, but his aunt mentioned having one where everyone pays for themselves and so that is what we did. It was a good way for everyone to mingle and just relax before the big day. However it isn't necessary by any means!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a rehearsal dinner mostly because of our families. We are not doing an actual walk-through rehearsal just a verbal breakdown of where people need to be and when. The dinner is mostly to thank our wedding party and our close family for coming out and helping us.

• Maureen
    Beginner January 2018 Baja California Sur
    Maureen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel your pain..... My FH has watched me go thru a few meltdowns already, bless his soul. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing from one minute to the next (and in all honesty and fairness, neither does he). Keep your focus on the big picture (you and him happily ever after)

We are having a beach destination wedding and we are not having a rehearsal dinner the day or night before. We are having a little rehearsal (say 10 minutes) the day before, but definitely not a a rehearsal dinner. We did give it some thought though and then thought WTF, we are seeing them all day on our Wedding, that's enough Smiley smile

My understanding is that the Rehearsal is for the Wedding Party only (no guests) and the Rehearsal Dinner is more of a "thank you for coming out to practice" as well as an "opportunity for the Wedding Party to meet" before the big day.

In my opinion, it's just another expense and I've got enough to do the night before, like getting my beauty rest Smiley heart Note: we are having a meet and greet a couple of days before with dinner + cocktails (it's a Treasure Hunt and BBQ thing)

Having said all this... I even axed the flower girl.

Now back to your day... is the Best Man's wife part of your bridal party or is she tagging along to things that he's invited to as Best Man.

When you say that you're trying to figure out where to have this thing, why not skip it and let your FH take care of it... if it doesn't happen, let it go. Be happy. It's one less thing to stress out about.

If you have a rehearsal in the afternoon, and the next day is your big day... do you really want to hang with friends and family... or bubble bath and relax? Check with FH, maybe he'd like to stay in, grab a beer and watch football or hockey? Just a thought... or maybe he's done his home work and taken care of everything... I know it's hard but remember "Communication is key" and never assume he's sofa king useless with this stuff..... we all are. It's not easy on us, and we're women... imagine how hard it is for the groom.

So here it is.... chat with FH about his and your thoughts about sharing your precious time the day before with your guests, friends and family and considered the reality that they will both have plenty of time to hang with you at the wedding (cause that is all YOU and FH will be doing... hanging out with them and thanking them for coming).

PS I found this site that really helped me out.

http://www.islands.com/12-destination-wedding-etiquette-questions-answered

Between us, my hotel room would be off-limits but then I'm a bubble bath girl vs my sister who'd rock the house down and host a party.

Check with Martha Stewart... she'll give you the best advise.... she is my go to source.

Best wishes, try to relax and remember that man loves you!

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have 4 weeks to get it all together. Last week I met with the DJ and took care of that. This week it's the photographer. Done! I was going to make my own wedding cake but I've decided to just get Costco's anniversary cake (it's just a decorated slab) and stick my bride and groom on top. Nobody will care anyway! It's way too much for one person to do alone so I'm taking the easier way out. Glad you are too. Doesn't it feel so much better than stressing?

• Tonya
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sonja ~ Thank you!!! Smiley heart I've decided NO rehearsal dinner! People can come visit at the hotel, but I'm not feeding them a full meal! A few drinks & some snacks. We can't decorate the ballroom until later Friday night or early Saturday morning, so thinking it might be nice to take the early evening & relax! Yes, that is taken care of!! Next problems are the DJ (we need to finalize all details) & finding out if he wants me to find a videographer if his relatives can't do it.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do what is the least stressful for you. We are not having a rehearsal dinner either. We aren't even having a rehearsal. I'm just telling everyone where they should be and that's it. If you want to, buy a couple of bottles of alcohol and some mix, and let people come and have a drink with you at your hotel room. It's easy, it's not too expensive, and it will be boring for the kids so their parents will probably take them home. Furthermore, having a couple of drinks might be just what you need to relax. There, that's taken care of. Next problem?

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our "rehearsal dinner" will be the group of us probably going out to bp's or something like that
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I concur with Daphne! We aren't doing a rehearsal dinner either, do what ever is easiest for you Smiley smile
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't do a rehearsal dinner. The rehearsal is to make sure that everyone knows what to do the day of and the dinner is just a way for everyone in the wedding party to spend time together before the wedding, since day-of it won't as easy to do that. It's your wedding, do what you want!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics