Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
Frequent user November 2019 Ontario

Rehearsal Dinner

Holly, on August 20, 2018 at 14:34 Posted in Before the wedding 0 8

Hi all,

how important is a rehearsal dinner? Our venue does a rehearsal 2 weeks before on the Friday. We don't live close to the venue or the area and am not sure whether we should speak to a restaurant or just for-go the whole thing. I'd like to do something nice but also budget conscious.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on August 22, 2018 at 20:19
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think they're very necessary. We're doing a loose rehearsal dinner but that's also doubling as a welcome for OOT guests.

• Michelle
    Newbie February 2023 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The rehearsal dinner itself, I feel is unnecessary, especially if you are on a budget. If you have a time/place that you can complete a rehearsal of the ceremony, for timing that would be most important!

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a rehearsal on the Thursday before our wedding dependant on the venue booking. We are also planning to invite people to a restaurant that is good and affordable or maybe even have a potluck style dinner and just go over the schedule.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I’m not doing a rehearsal dinner. We’ll do the rehearsal so everyone knows what’s up but that’s literally it.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your budget isnt fitting the dinner and drive, then let it be alone.

If your wanting to do a rehearsal dinner, make a short amount of people to be there to work within your budget. Don't go out all the way for everyone to be there 2 weeks in advance and timing earlier in the evening so evryone will be enjoying the time and to get home after the event.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a rehearsal is a good idea, to get the timing right and so people know where to go and when to start. The dinner itself is a nice addition, but doesn't have to be anything formal. Ours was a BBQ. My friends was sandwiches made by her in-laws. It was a nice time to get together with our wedding party and parents and just relax before the wedding.

Traditionally, the brides family paid for the wedding and the grooms family paid for the rehearsal dinner. Now that most couples pay for the wedding themselves, rehearsal dinners are becoming less common (or less formal).

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think for the most part that the go-to dinner is usually a BBQ in a backyard anyway which isn't too bad on the budget. If that is still too pricey and/or your don't have anywhere to host the dinner then a restaurant is still a great option.

You could also probably get away with a BYOB pizza party to be quite honest.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We do not have the budget to host a rehearsal dinner, and our core group of just parents, bride/groom, and bridal party (no significant others, other siblings, or out of town guests) is 17 people.

We are going to most likely book space for 18 people at a restaurant close to the venue, and make it an optional "outing" for everyone to go out for dinner after the rehearsal (which is booked for the 4-6pm window). It won't be mandatory, and people will have to buy their own dinner, but it will be fun to spend time together before all parting to separate homes (bride and groom splitting up for the night).

Because yours is 2 weeks prior to the wedding, don't feel pressured to do a dinner. It's not really a "night before" festivities... so people won't be bummed. Maybe have a small group of people do dinner together the night before the actual wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics