Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bailey
Curious October 2021 Alberta

Registry’s

Bailey, on March 21, 2021 at 22:26 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Hi guys ! I realized that after I deactivated my account I couldn’t get back into my original which is annoying !! ANYWAYS !! My mother in law is adamant we get a registry and I’m honestly against them as I’m extremely old fashioned and she has still voiced her opinion over and over again ! Help ! Opinions ! Plz

9 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on March 23, 2021 at 21:33
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not having a registry honestly it would be more trouble than it is worth for us.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol 8 teapots Smiley xd That's exactly what I tried to avoid in creating a registry.

We don't really need anything either. We're both in our 30s and actually got rid of tons of stuff a couple of years ago when we moved in together and combined our apartments. But I knew if we didn't have a registry we'd probably end up getting 3 toasters and a bunch of tea towels with inspirational quotes on them. We chose to opt for upgrades of things we have that are nearing the end of their life or that we bought years ago and just don't go with our style anymore and we'll donate the old pieces.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your MIL can fight you on the topic of registry as much as she wants though its not her decision to make in the end of your day. You two feel good with what you have and don't need anything beyond the honeymoon fund, it would be good to say we both feel its not necessary. She does need to back off with pushing on this topic to ease up on you knowing you two are in control.
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I use to feel the same way as you. And then my friend who sort of likes tea got married and at her shower she was gifted 8 very nice teapots and 3 crockpots

I always felt that it would look gift grabby to set up a registry. I was also worried about offending older traditional people. We have a registry for our wedding and all the people I was worried about are the ones who have asked about the registry!
    I do feel very strongly about not including any registry information in the invites. The way people will find it is by searching up our names on my registry or specifically texting and asking for the info.
    It is still a concept that I find very weird but I think registries are expected now rather than people wondering if you made one.
    It is frustrating tho when people don’t respect your wedding decisions
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We used Mr Registry. It lets you add things from any online retailer. We used Amazon and Bed Bath and Beyond for classic items (a fancy blender, a new hand mixer, sheets) and registries (which you can sync to the myregistry app), and added Etsy, Ikea and Home Depot items too.

I liked that we could veer away from the classic items and we added board games, cook books, and even new yoga mats that we would enjoy together. It might be a way to please your mom with a little old fashioned-ness without getting old fashioned gifts! We didn't advertise the registry, but when family members asked if we had one I sent the link.
  • Abigail
    Curious May 2022 British Columbia
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Fiance and I have lived together for nearly 3 years now and we have SO much stuff so instead of a classic registry we're doing a cash fund/honeymoon registry instead. Options to get us "experiences", dinner, hotel gift cards etc!

• Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I originally did not want a registry as my fiance and I have been living together for almost 5 years and pretty much have everything we need. My fiance said some members of his family would find it a bit rude to not have a registry (as it would basically imply we just would like money as a gift), so we compromised and did a very basic registry. We have maybe 10 items total, and even then it is very basic stuff like wine glasses and cutlery.
    With all that said, if you really don't want a registry then by no means are you required to set one up. Its your wedding so definitely do what you like!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're in the same boat as Amanda, we have our own house and have been living together for 6 years and I literally just cleared out a bunch of things that we don't ever use just 2 weeks ago. So I really don't want to restock on things that are just going to gather dust. We do want to do some light renovations though so we're also putting a little message that monetary gifts are welcome and that that's where the money will go. Some people don't like giving money unless they know where it's going, so if that's something that you'd like to do then think where you'll spend it. Like a honeymoon, renos, down payment for a home if you don't already have one, etc.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do what you want to do! If you and your fiance don't want one, then don't! Your MIL needs to understand that. Don't back down from something that you don't want at your wedding.

My fiance and I aren't having a registry for the fact that we've been living together for the past 5 and a half years and have a house together already. We don't need more kitchen things or bed accessories like linens and such. We've put in our invitation this so people know we don't have a registry. "We don't have a gift list for all of you to see. As we have everything we need in our home. Your presence at our wedding is a gift by itself. If you desire to give nonetheless, A monetary gift is one we suggest."

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics