Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner June 2020 Alberta

Registry help

Katie, on June 23, 2019 at 14:30 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6

I need some wedding registry help! I’ve been living with my partner for a while now so we don’t need a lot of stuff, but there are a few things we can ask for. However, it would be most beneficial if we had people contribute to our honeymoon. I’ll have just graduated from university and will hopefully be starting a new job just before we get married and it would be so nice to have that money go towards bills etc instead of having to fully pay for our honeymoon. How do I go about asking this? I know you don’t ask on your invitation etc and I’ve heard that you should tell the parents to spread the word?

I’m also not a huge fan of the wedding registry idea in the first place, I just want to have a party with my friends & fam and celebrate our marriage but my parents are sort of pushing for a registry cause it’s tradition.

Thanks!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Tori, on June 24, 2019 at 16:20
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, registries are only really used for wedding showers so if you aren't having a shower then there isn't any need for the registry? Smiley smile

However, if you are wanting a wedding shower - I would say to at least register for a few upgraded items and the rest you could put down as you would like gift cards perhaps

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've lived together for 4 years, and we did put together a small registry. Mostly for replacements for the hand-me downs we've used since moving out. You know...upgrades lol.

Maybe just put together a small registry for things you really want/need? Those who prefer to buy physical gifts can pick from there, and the rest can give monetary gifts. I have found when people specify cash gifts only, no matter how cute and rhymey, guests get pretty miffed. Having the option is nice.

www.myregistry.com allows you to add a cash funds that people can contribute to (honeymoon, house...) as well as link any registries, so that might be a good option for you!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was "encouraged" by my mother to have a registry for my shower and that was a hot mess. FH and I have been living together for nearly 6 years, so all we registered for were things to upgrade what we currently had (bedsheets, fine china, a Nespresso, etc.). Most people gave us cash and very few ventured off the registry.

I think it's perfectly acceptable not having a registry and letting people just give you cash. Most people know (and prefer) to gift cash anyway, and those few that give you a gift would have given you something regardless.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not having a registry, we've lived together for 2 years and most couples live together too.

You could have a shower registry for those few items you want and just have that available to your shower guests, and then for your wedding have cash. You can write something in your invitation that any money given will go towards your dream honeymoon so guests get the hint that you prefer cash.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think as you do live together it's unspoken that you would be gifted money . If you don't want a registry then don't have one. You don't need to have one to please others. Tell them you feel it's not necessary as the purpose of a shower was to gift items that would be useful in starting a new household which you have already done.
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, not many people have wedding registries anymore. Most couples live together before they get married these days me and FH have been together for 4 years, lived together for 3. We will just be asking for monetary gifts.
    You can put on your wedding website or send out with your invites something along the lines of helping pay for the honeymoon. There are a few previous discussions for wording and little rhyme type things that could help you out with this.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics