Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
VIP May 2019 Ontario

Registry for money online

Stephanie, on June 21, 2018 at 15:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to get some opinions on what people have done or are going to do!

So I plan on using Wedding Wire to host our wedding website! I have a registry at Bed Bath & Beyond which I can post there no problem!

However my fiance and I also wanted to make a registry to allow guests to give just money online that can go to us to either put towards a Honeymoon (which we aren't planning yet at all) or towards our home!

Has anyone used an online money registry yet?

During my research I found Zank You, Newly Wish, and I have signed up for Honeyfund... I just wanted some personal opinions from others who have used them!

I was hoping to have one that allowed using PayPal to either give to the registry or for me to use to collect from... I'm not sure how comfortable I am with putting my banking information on a site.

Thank you!

Edit: Also... I could just put my paypal online to send to but would that just look too tacky? I was thinking a GoFundMe or something similar but I feel thats more of a donation for a cause type deal...

18 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on June 27, 2018 at 12:56
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Something about online funds doesn't spund right and if you want to get ot, it may not be there or available. At the reception is the better way to go abouts receiving cash. I wouldn't have done it any other way.
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t know. I find money online for a registry just a little unsafe, but maybe that’s just me. I would rather put it in an Envelope. But maybe that’s just me.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No that's good to hear thank you! I talked to my mom about it and that was sounding along the lines of what she said about it!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm probably going to be the odd one out on here with the unpopular opinion, but I really don't like the idea of asking for money via an online website. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but for every wedding/shower/event that I've ever been to in my adult life, it's just assumed to give cash if there's no gift registry (there is never a gift registry).

I'm assuming that things are different in different circles (and some people need more direction than others), but I would personally be a little turned off if there was a money registry and still just give my envelope with money and cash.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I love this idea!

The poem is super cute too!

And yes I agree, I have a BB&B registry just in case! Its hard too as we dont live together yet but will after marriage! So I'm sure we WILL need certain physical things... but again we have no idea yet haha!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh okay that makes sense! I did set mine up so far as a... registry for anything type... I'll have to play around more thank you!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh it does? So even if say someone selects a "boat excursion" or something of the sorts on the site it will just be a dollar value on your end that is deposited into your account?

Not that I want to trick people in any way... we just don't know what we're doing yet so we can't really put any solid/specific items up there...

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope - the way the registry works is that the people go online and 'buy' a gift. They then print off the certificate for that (if they want to) and include it in with their check or cash in their card.

You can also set up your honeyfund registry to not have anything specific, if you want.

We set ours up with specific items because we know we want to use it to pay for our honeymoon, and we also know that our friends and family are the sort to like to buy specific gifts - a dinner out, a massage, airfare, etc. But technically, when we get the cash and cheques and deposit them into our bank account, we could use the money for anything we wanted.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for the link! That helps a lot to see one in action!

I see though that you have very specific things listed... when people purchase one of the items does that money HAVE to go to that specific item?

We're not sure yet what we want to do honeymoon wise (marrying in May 2019, honeymoon probably in fall/winter that year) we were going to base our choice off what we received from the wedding as gifts.

I like the idea of having items people can get... but I'm wondering if we can put the money towards something else if it's needed or our plans change?

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never thought about putting it online for a money registry!! Ifeel more comfortable personally leaving all my banking information to just myself, and will be setting up a table for cards, but we will explain on our website that after living together for 5.5 years, we really dont need anything. We are however trying to save for a house, so will beasking for money towards our mortgageSmiley smile
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't use a registry for the money because we also didn't feel comfortable putting our banking stuff online. We are just going to ask for either cash or an etransfer if people wish to give us money. We also put a little poem on our website

"We have our towels and dishes for two,

We have pans, bowls, and oven mitts too,

So what do you get for a bride and groom,

That has enough in every room?"

and we just explained that we would benefit most from monetary gifts we can it towards a down payment on a house. We also have a registry with bed bath and beyond that has like 10 items on it for people who refuse to give us money.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Https://hackyourhoneymoon.com/ultimate-guide-honeymoon-registries/

I made my decision based on their reviews here with what things do and don’t do! Just note if you take any online payments usually there is the PayPal processing fee!
  • Amanda
    Curious July 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are using giftspaces.com. You can register for experiences on your honeymoon and the money goes directly to your bank account.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are using Honeyfund. We are not accepting direct payments - we've set it up so that people can 'buy' the items they want, print out the certificate and include that in their card with their check or cash.

I am sure my guests would not be impressed if they found out that ~3% of the money they thought they were giving to me is going to a website. Sure, it might mean we get a little less because people can't charge to their credit cards, but I'm okay with that.

Plus people really like to feel they got you 'something', so letting them chip in towards a specific item lets them do that.

I made sure to break down our bigger costs (airfare, cruise cost, etc), and made 'gifts' that ranged between 30-100$ each. People can buy one bigger one, or several smaller ones, or one small one, depending on their budget.

This is what ours looks like: https://www.honeyfund.com/wedding/peggyandjared

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that's good to hear a good review! As much as I don't like putting my banking info on there the direct deposit does sound useful...

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I was a little hesitant about the fees too! However from what I understood the people giving wouldn't be paying extra! Rather we would just have a bit taken off of what we receive.

Someone sends $100, we receive $96.90 (2.8% and $0.30)

Which isn't horrible! I mean it does add up...

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My SiL used Honeyfund and loved it. There’s a way to set up direct deposit as well- that saves you on the transaction fees.
    Move signed up for honeyfund but haven’t gotten around to the details yet.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would like to hear about this too. I signed up for HoneyFund, which is what I would like to use... however most of those have fees for people to send money... and I don't want it to cost money to give money... y'know?

I have a page on my wedding website right now that just says our registry is asking for contributions to our honeymoon, a little blurb about what we're doing, and why it would mean to much to us.

I would hope guests would just know to bring a card with cash or cheque... but I know many people like the convenience of online too... Especially since HoneyFund is so cute, I can break down the cruise, our drink package, excursions, etc... *sigh* what to do, what to do...

I'll be watching this for sure.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics