Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Escobar
Newbie September 2024 Ontario

Refundable deposit for wedding cancelation over a year in advance?

Escobar, on July 18, 2023 at 11:07 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 3

Hello,

Hoping to get some insights or anyone who has experienced canceling vendors. If we cancel with over a year in advance of our wedding date could we get our deposits back? We booked our venue, photographer, dj, custom dress and small vendors about a year and 6 months in advance. I'm probably going to lose the money on my wedding dress as it is being custom made but they haven't started the process or have been sent a design yet. I know most contracts state deposit not refundable and understand why but canceling over a year in advance they still have plenty of time to secure the date. Anyone experience something similar?

3 Comments

Latest activity by Kelli, on July 20, 2023 at 12:12
  • Kelli
    Frequent user September 2024 Alberta
    Kelli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would just try and ask. They might not and you’ll just have to cut your losses and move on but since it’s quite far in advance there is the possible of them giving you the deposit back.

Good luck!
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would reach out, you could always try to sell it, lot's of people will buy venues, you just have to mention venue take over and cut a deal.

But like Brittany send reach out to them some might be flexible or you may just have to cut your losses, but you will not know until you ask.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi!

I cancelled our venue last summer when we decided to down size our wedding. We were supposed to get married in August of 2024 so we cancelled 2 years in advance.

We ended up only getting half of our deposit back after the venue "resold" our date. So technically the venue made an extra grand on our date.

Some vendors and venues does this but not all. You need to reach out to them and ask what is allowed. A lot of people on the my local sell wedding pages, they sell their dates of vendors and then switch over ownership of that date. But like mentioned before, not all vendors allow this.

I find the wedding dresses have the least slack rules in terms of refundable deposits. Just because it is custom made, I don't think you will get any money back. A lot of stores (if not all) do not take returns nor do they give money back.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics