Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Receptions at non-traditional meal times

Joey, on December 19, 2017 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding reception 0 7

We're all pretty used to the idea of a formal wedding dinner, but not all weddings take place at dinner time. What do you serve your guests when your wedding reception doesn't fall at a traditional meal time? Lunch? Heavy apps? Just dessert? Brunch? Or perhaps you'll serve a full dinner regardless of the hour. Share your ideas and ask your questions about how to be a great host at any time of day.

Yum - brunch!!Receptions at non-traditional meal times 1

Photo by Sawmill Banquet & Catering Centre in Edmonton

7 Comments

Latest activity by Leah, on April 16, 2018 at 21:18
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re planning a mid morning ceremony and a brunch reception.

But we’re also planning a cultural celebration the night before soooo😳.

Wouldnt change it for the world!
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having our wedding at a normal-ish time (5pm) but neither of us wanted the formality of a sit down dinner (hooray for no seating chart to do!). We are having lots of hors d'oeuvres and then two "action stations" where chefs will be live preparing food - one is a pasta bar and the other we're thinking Jamaican jerk chicken or tacos. We also have three types of desserts served later like the hors d'oeuvres - mini creme brulees, marscapone cheesecake and likely something chocolate.

We will have a lot of bar-top tables and a few sit down tables in a separate area as well. This wedding will be all about mingling and fun.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I remember my brother got married in 2000 and had veg breakfast for all the guests before the wedding started. Next day at venue, h'ordueves and buffet was in the evening.
    My wedding had h'ordouves and sit down with late night buffet. Everyone has something different.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Afternoon late lunch would have been something I would have done, but we ended up doing dinner instead.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the idea of brinner (breakfast for dinner) or brunch. A little more laid back than a regular dinner. I would have maybe liked a lunch time or early afternoon wedding but I didn't want to have to be up with the sun to get ready.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always wanted a brunch reception! But, it's too early. Then, I thought brunch at supper (something fiance and I will do from time to time) but the venue I fell love in with doesn't offer that.

My cousin got married at 7pm and then had apps after. They had people walking around with them. I would've preferred a buffet style, because they only had one person with a tray of each app (I think they had 5-6) so by the time you found someone with a tray, it was empty.

I have also heard of dessert receptions.

I think the important thing to remember is to let guests know what kind of reception it is; full dinner, appetizers, dessert served at this time.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the idea of a brunch wedding! The only reason we didn't do it was because I didn't want to have to be up at an awful hour just to get ready!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics