Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Curious September 2019 Alberta

Reception start time vs. when the wedding party shows up. Also general timeline question

Jennifer, on September 5, 2018 at 20:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

Hey everyone! So I am currently working on invites, and I was thinking about putting 6pm as the reception start time, but then I read somewhere that the invite should say a bit early for people to show up and get drinks etc, and then the wedding party shows up a bit after. So if I put 530 on the invites, is that a reasonable time for the wedding party showing up at 6, dinner at 630?

Additionally, if dinner (buffet, if it makes a difference) is at 630, what time should we be looking at for first dance, father/daughter dance, cake cutting? I am trying to figure out times for my photographer too, so just trying to make sure I don't leave too much time between/not enough time between. Ceremony is at 2pm, and venue needs 3 hours between for tear down/set up.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on September 15, 2018 at 20:47
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing dinner at 5:30pm, we will aim to be there for 5pm and our guests will be able to arrive starting at 4:30pm.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey, I will try and message you my day of timeline Smiley smile Our coordinator was SO helpful in helping us with this. Our timelines look similar to yours.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our reception timing went as:

6:00 cocktail hour
    6:30 reception entrance with wedding party
    6:35 mother/son dance
    6:4o cake cutting
    6:45 speeches
    7:00 plated dinner served
    8:00 dancing
    11:00 late night buffet served
    12:00 First dance

Consider 2 1/2 for guests rating buffet.
  • Jennifer
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your responses Smiley smile Definitely helps out seeing some other peoples timelines !

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jennifer, our reception timelines sound very similar so I'll let you know what I'm doing. I might change some stuff around within the year but this is what's shaping up:

Cocktail hour is at 5:30pm (invite time)
    Grand entrance at 6 or 6:15pm
    Dinner starting at 6:30pm
    Thinking of doing the shoe game sometime during dinner, around 7:30pm
    Speeches around 8:30pm
    Cake cutting and first dance/parent dances at 8:45pm and 9pm respectively. After that, our photographer will leave and the dancefloor is open to everyone! The bar will also fully open at this time. There will be champagne for speeches and wine at dinner beforehand.
    Late night snacks served at 10:30pm
    Last call 12:30am
    Everyone leave at 1am

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our ceremony and reception are at the same venue but different areas so we wont need to tear down and setup it will all be done ahead of time and our guests don't need to go anywhere, but our timeline still follows a typical timeline.

Cocktail Hour - 4:30pm
    Guests called to be seated for dinner - 5:30pm
    Grand entrance/first dance - 5:45pm
    Dinner starts - 6pm
    Dinner ends/cut the cake - 8pm

Speeches will take place during dinner, right after my parents (aka my dad) speaks, we will have our father-daughter dance, then my FH's mom will speak and right after will have their mother-son dance.

Hope this helps!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is what were doing!
    530 - Cocktail hour Starts
    6pm - I'm hoping us and the wedding party arrives but depends how our photos go!
    630 PM- people are seated
    645-7pm - Grand entrance and first dance
    730 - Dinner starts!
    If our photos go on longer though I will have both sets of parents head to the venue first to mingle and we will just do the grand entrance and then mingle with guests thru the rest of the night!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your timing for dinner is perfect IMO. The one hour is totally fine and you want everyone there for when you guys enter. As far as father and daughter dance as well as cake cutting, I have no idea! Haha. I’ve been to weddings where they cut the cake before the dance started. I’ve been to wedding where they cut the cake during the dance period. I think now people tend to do them close together so the photographer can leave at a decent time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics