Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Angel
Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia

Reception menu subject to change?

Angel, on July 25, 2018 at 12:16 Posted in Wedding reception 0 15

I have already paid a deposit for my reception venue. I find it strange how signing a contract does not allow me to lock in the price and menu for my wedding next June. Other venues seem to already have their menu for next year available already. I booked the venue two months ago and the coordinator told me the menu will be ready in September. I just e-mailed her two days ago and now she is not sure when it will be available. It makes me a little nervous not knowing how much and what I will be serving at my reception since that is going to be the biggest expense of my wedding! Has anyone had this problem as well?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Jenna, on July 31, 2018 at 09:59
  • Jenna
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm having this issue as well, a few months after booking and making a deposit the venue increased their cost per plate by $5, that's a 16% increase! i think I may try and fight it with them though

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Contracts have flaws that some don't allow the locked in amount when signing at the time. There will be always be some price increase.

The same happened to us based on the room rates when the price went up on the package, the room rates changed in 2017 and had to inform my family in the states and own family.

Just see what the cost will be and see if carering will be allowed if its cheaper.
  • Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wedding coordinator told me that they are under new management starting last year so they didn't have a price increase from the year before as they are still experimenting with menu items and prices. She told me to budget for a 10% increase which seems to be the rate that some of you have suggested. I've set my budget based on a 10% increase but of course any cost savings would be nice so I could use it towards something else in the wedding. It is just unsettling as I don't know how long I have to wait before they give me a finalized number...

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Not if they have a clause in the contract saying food isn’t locked in, my venue has one too. I wish they’d locked us in on price!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our contract states the prices of food can change. As it happens I’ve seen the prices for 2019 and while most venues wouldn’t up the charge that much, mine has upped the charge $5 per head, which is a 10% increase in our price. Just be cautious you may end up with a price increase the menu shouldn’t take that long to figure out because they’ll need it ready for other events too so hang in there and wait till September and ask again then.
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have the same thing, they told me when we booked that it might change by 2019 but they don't know anything yet. They quoted me a certain price and I'm hoping it isn't changing anymore since they gave the actual price, but they did mention it. I find it a bit odd too though, since they actually quoted something
  • Rachel
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was quote back in 2017 for my June 2019 wedding and they have stuck by those prices because that's what they quoted me (I also put down a deposit). We had our menu tasting this past June 2018 so that we could have the exact menu (same veggies in season) as our wedding day. We don't have to decide what we want for sure until later but already had the tasting!
  • Amanda
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding isn't until 2020 but I booked my venue last June. I was quite happy they are able to do the food I am requesting but as far as locking in the price they wont do it and said it could go up to 15% increase. I understand everything goes up in price but if you book ahead of time they should lock you in at price for year you book. My photographer and DJ and officiant can lock it in. So I dont get why a big venue cant.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depending on your venue, they should know year after year if there are many changes, or if the price changes much at all.

My coordinator cannot guarantee their menu, as it will be new for 2019/2020, available near the end of the year... but she said every new menu has the same essentials, and the price never changes much (maybe a couple dollars).

Historically they should know how much their menu changes/price changes. It is normal however not to get 100% commitment that far in advance.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That doesn't surprise me that your venue is doing that. Before booking with my venue, I came across several that could not commit to a price. Aside from the menu not being available, do you have a set price per head for your guests or is that subject to change too?

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should still get the same pricing; my venue raised their prices for a few things in January 2018. Because we had signed the contract in July 2017, they gave us the lower price, since that is what it was when we had signed (we did have to ask though).

The new menu came out in February 2018, and it turned out to have alot more options than the 2017 menu! You'll still have lots of time to decide on your menu when it comes out.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s usually something you have to really push for when your negotiating prices with the venues before signing a contract. And not all venues will do it because prices for good can change for them year to year.
    It sucks but the pricing shouldn’t increase more than 5% (if anything). But you could always talk to them and ask how much their prices fluctuate year to year (what was 2017 or 2016 vs 2018).
  • Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s really weird. I know that we locked in a a certain price point but that the food options can change and we get to customize our food options. But I guess if it’s been heard of then there’s nothing to worry about Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My venue didn't let me lock in food prices for next year (we are getting married july 2019. I booked the hall in march). I wasn't too phased by it. because I had talked to other people that have used the venue and their pricing hasn't changed drastically in the years. and they are in line with all the other venues in town.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am personally going with outside catering so I don't have this problem - but I wouldn't worry too too much just yet. As long as you like their food as of right now it should be fine. I would give them until January to get a menu in place so that your invitations will be good to go? (Giving it a 5 month window so that the invitations can get mailed out at the 4 month mark.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics