Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Caitlyn
Newbie May 2025 Ontario

Recently engaged!: How do i choose a wedding date?

Caitlyn, on June 16, 2023 at 15:57 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Hello! My fiancé and I are recently engaged (literally less than 2 weeks lol) and my brain is already kicking into overdrive to plan this wedding!

He and I are really trying to nail down when we'd like to plan the wedding; I want to aim for April 2025 since I love a spring colour palette and that will give us plenty of time for planning. My fiancé prefers the fall, but since neither of us want to be engaged for more than 2 years, that puts us at Aug-Oct 2024.

My issue is that April is the last month of off-peak season, so we could potentially have some savings during this time, whereas Aug-Oct is right in peak wedding season so costs would go up. However, April in Toronto has very finicky weather which is a big risk for rain and snow (and no greenery/florals), and Aug-Oct is typically when everything is lush which would look great for photos and weather is typically reliable.

All this to say - does anyone have advice on how they nailed down their wedding date? We can't plan anything else until we overcome this, and maybe a bit premature, but I would really like to hear someone else's thoughts but my own LOL! Thanks!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Kelli, on July 15, 2023 at 14:36
  • Kelli
    Frequent user September 2024 Alberta
    Kelli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve only been engaged for 6 weeks and how we nailed down our date was communicating about what season we wanted our wedding to be in. We went through different colour schemes and ideas. Ig. A Christmas wedding in winter,

We had to sort through what theme roughly we wanted and seasons we did not want.
    My FH and I have both been previously married and did not want to get married near dates that we previously have, or other holidays(no matter how small.)
    The main way to figure it out is just to communicate with your spouse.
    Hope you figure it out, good luck!
  • Leandra
    Newbie September 2025 Ontario
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went through the same dilemma. I wanted May because of the spring colours and because our venue minimum was lower (and cheaper!) in May. But he wanted September because it worked better with his work schedule but it’s quite a bit more $$ as the minimum goes up. SO we compromised and did a Friday in early September, before fall colours, since the minimum on Fridays in “peak season” were the same price as a Saturday in May.

We’re getting married later than we would have liked (2025) and tbh, I’m still a little nervous to see how people react to it being a Friday (our family has to travel to us in Ottawa). But ultimately, it works the best for us.
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No need to rush! We did the same thing, engaged in March of 2021 and we are getting married August 2023 so 2.5 years.

Soak up the engaged life! I love it, we went on an engagement moon and had a blast!

I was able to have practically open availability for all vendors too! So that is a huge plus!

The biggest thing for me is the wedding dress - by the time it came that I had to order no matter what I wasn't unsure or ended up with dress regret! Take your time, check out current trends and what is going to be popular next year!

• Caitlyn
    Newbie May 2025 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you everyone for the amazing advice! You’ve all given me a lot to think about but ultimately we’ll aim for May 2025 (not too hot, colour palette approved by both of us) and we’ll aim to start reaching out to venues now so we can lock in a date with them.

I realize based on some feedback that 2 years may actually be TOO much time to plan a wedding, but I’m not looking to start the bulk of the planning until 2024; we’re in our mid-20s, we’re young, we’re in no real rush to get married so we’re going to soak up engaged life for a while haha!
  • Sanja
    Newbie September 2023 Ontario
    Sanja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Adding to everyone else so we don't all say the same thing Smiley smile I had a photographer in mind that I wanted so I asked her what free dates she had in August and September. Then we went to the venue we wanted and asked what dates they had in August and September. We picked September 23, 2023 because its still warm but not as hot. We got engaged February 2022 and that's more than enough time, at this point even too much. I helped my sister plan her wedding in 4 months so I wanted to give myself time but this was too much lol. We do have a good number of family and friends that have to fly in for the wedding so giving everyone time is something I needed to do but it starts to drive you crazy. Overall if you have a vendor, photographer or anything else that you don't want to go without, maybe ask them when they are free. Since September is the end of the summer it gets booked up fast, so I made sure I had my photographer, videographer, makeup and hair, and music booked right after we got our date. Best of luck!

• R
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Rochelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with others here - reach out to venues for their pricing and availability. That's how we ended up setting the date. This will also allow you to see if their pricing changes based on the season. For my venue & vendors, the pricing didn't vary. About an hour outside of Toronto.

We wanted late spring/early summer for it to not be too hot but to hopefully not have travel impacted by weather either. And wanted our engagement to be close-ish to a year. I ended up having about 13 months to plan, which is plenty, bordering on too long!! Couldn't wait for the planning to be over!!
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted a summer wedding as my Fiancé wanted a fall wedding, since he doesn't want to sweat like a pig in the summer heat and I do not want to freeze, we originally picked October 14th, 14th being the anniversary date, the only venue date they had available was September 30th, so we grabbed it.

I would choose your budget and venue and see what dates they have available and go from there.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on getting engaged and welcome to Wedding Wire!

Like a few has mentioned, the key here is to reach out to venues and and find available dates around the season you would like to have your wedding. That is what we all have to go off on. Since COVID, wedding season has been INSANE and booking well in advance of 2 years where before it used to be you had some time to book about a year before.

Luckily though, you would rather have your wedding during the transition of slow season (November - April) to peak season (May to October). I find in my area there is not much booking in April and May, so you should be ok in terms of availability. But we as engaged couples don't really get the option to choose a specific date; it all depends on availability. Have a few Fridays and Saturdays in mind of what you would like and go from there Smiley smile

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats to you both!! My husband originally wanted October (6 months after being engaged - God Bless his heart) lol Not realizing that places are booked Smiley xd We then went with May 27. We wanted an outdoor wedding so we thought, not too hot/cold. Then we decided on a completely different venue - indoors. The date soon changed after we booked with the venue as there was an "error" and we got double booked. May was a tough month as there is so much going on Mother's Day, May 2-4, My Bday, Our Engagement Date - so went with May 6. Nothing special about it. Was only date we had nothing in May Smiley xd

• Jackie
    Devoted September 2023 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!!! I wanted to get married in a shoulder season; fall or spring, for the weather comfort. Here in AB fall tends to be more predictable, also I didn’t want to wait over a year to get married (engaged in Dec). So we looked at venues we loved and asked for DATES THEY HAVE AVAILABLE. This is key. Do not bother choosing a date, you won’t get it. Let them tell you what’s open and work around that. I suggest beginning with your venue search and that will kind of help you know what your options even are, we ended up with Sept 2023. Good luck!
  • Mila
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    First we picked April because we liked spring but it was still cool in April, venues and vendors were all available, we liked the look of the actual date, and we had chosen an indoor venue.
    Then we changed the venue to outdoors. There’s a chance of snow in April so we decided fall would be better. Also figured since we’ll be outside for the ceremony the fall colours would be appreciated more.
    We have friends getting married in April in an indoor venue, and based on the venue and details it’s going to be absolutely beautiful no matter the weather.
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went with August, in the evening and it was a perfect warm summer temperature. If its between April and August, I'd be more inclined to go with August as April weather can really still feel like winter in Toronto. To get the spring feel I'd be more inclined to do mid-late May. We chose August as my husbands birthday is then and we had our celebration the same day, plus we knew we wanted summer but not right in the middle of summer like July so Aug was perfect.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics