Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie October 2019 Victoria

Recently dyed my hair, now have a regrowth problem before wedding! Help!

Caroline, on April 1, 2019 at 21:54 Posted in Beauty 0 9

Hi Everyone,

I recently dyed my hair a few shades lighter than my original colour (by recently I mean a couple of months ago) having no idea I would be planning my wedding this year.

Now I have a terrible problem with uneven regrowth - my hair grows quite fast and is quite long, and as the wedding is only a few months away, by then it will look horribly obvious. The hairstyle I am planning is big old Hollywood curls, so it won't be easy to hide.

I have no clue how to fix it.

I'm not sure what to ask for at a salon, and I'm afraid to fix it myself - does anyone have any tips on when/how to fix it?

(Side note. my original colour is light/medium brown and I dyed it an ashy blonde which came out with a weird red tint)

9 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 02:43
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Caroline,

I had blonde hair before my wedding. Like.. Shade 8 blonde which is super light... 2 weeks before my wedding, I went to my regular colorist, and she dyed my hair to a super dark brown color so that even if it washes out a bit, I would still be a dark brown. Plus, I had extensions that my hairstylist would be putting in the day of the wedding.

I would suggest to first go to a professional to do a color correction (strip the color and re-dye so that it can fade out properly. Dying over the wrong color will bring back the color underneath once it fades) Trust me, i've been blonde for three years before having to go back dark. You'll also want to use a proper color shampoo to maintain it up to the day of your wedding.
    Dark Brown (After)Recently dyed my hair, now have a regrowth problem before wedding! Help! 1

Blonde Hair (Before)Recently dyed my hair, now have a regrowth problem before wedding! Help! 2

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What Alissa said. Solid advise. do that

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else and go to a reputable salon to fix the colour! You're 6 months away now so there's definitely time to fix!

I'm naturally a dark brunette and the last few years, I was dying a vibrant red colour (the same colour as my engagement pics. I want to go a lighter brown for the wedding and started the process last Saturday. I look a little brassy/coppery still from the red but I have 6 months to my goal colour, and it'll take 2-3 more sessions to get it where I want it - but doable with the time frame!

• Alissa
    Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would get to a salon sooner, rather than later. I am a colorist, and sometimes these fixes take a few sessions, over the course of a few months (depending on the condition of your hair and what you want to achieve)

-Find a salon with good reviews, and moderate pricing. (CHEAP WORK IS NOT GOOD. If they're not charging enough, they're cutting corners!- average price in my area is 75-100$ per hour for correcting colors)**look them up on Instagram to see what their work looks like on the daily, or if you see anything they've done before that you'd like to achieve.
    -Bring pictures of what you would like to achieve. And what you DON'T want to see (one picture could showcase so many things- width of highlights, tone of color, coloring techniques- letting us know what you don't like helps us get the same vision in mind as you do)
    -trust the professional: dont panic if it doesn't turn out the first time. Have them communicate to you exactly what to expect at the end of this appointment and if you will need to come back to keep lightening it, how damaged your hair will feel (and how they plan to minimize that)
    -buy professional products to maintain the colorists work (PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT). Drugstore grade shampoos have fillers and scrubs that are damaging to coloured hair. Nothing worse than spending 200+ on a color only to go home and strip it out in 3 weeks time.
    -mostly, DO NOT try to redo it yourself!! This will create bands of different colors, and damage your hair. Box color does not know who their client is, and so is packaged with the strongest peroxide for the worst case scenario. It is likely you don't need a product that strong and applying it over and over will fry your hair!

Good luck Smiley smile
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Caroline!

As everyone mentioned about going to the salon, I would just pick one with good reviews and get it fixed. It may be uneven but at least your hair is long and grows fast. even with fixing it you will have lots hair still remaining.

Did you have a hairstylist booked for wedding? You could talk to her as well and see if she could help as she knows what your wanting already

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like everyone else said, just go to a salon. They do touch ups all the time. My hair is getting coloured 2 weeks before the wedding. My hair grows really fast, so my hairdresser doesn’t want to colour it too soon. My hair is highlighted and she deals with my regrowth every 5 months. And if you do it a a salon they can give you pretty much any colour you want, so if you want ash blond, their products are far superior to box dye and will turn out a more true and even shade. Your wedding is still a bit away, you could always go now to get the colour you want, and touch it up just before the wedding. Just make sure you go to a trusted salon. You get what you pay for in most cases. Good luck
  • Sinéad
    WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway
    Sinéad ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Caroline! Don't worry about your regrowth, it's so easily fixed in a hair salon. They do it all the time!!

Your profile says that you're getting married in October, so you really do have plenty of time! I would agree with the pp's, go to a trusted hair salon and explain what your problem is and how you want to look. It may cost a little extra $ to get your desired look but it's worth the peace of mind!

I would certainly steer clear of DIY-ing it, especially since you are unsure how it will turn out!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like Bianca said - go to a well reviewed salon!! Don't try and fix it yourself!! It may cost $$ to get it fixed but these pictures will be something you look at for years to come and you (hopefully) only have 1 wedding!!

Some embarrassment now is better than regret later!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely go to a GOOD salon and tell them your problem. Go with pictures of how you plan to style your hair on your wedding day and pictures of what you'd like the colour to look like. This might be costly, but these pictures of your wedding day are FOREVER. It's better to spend some money on your hair now rather than risk DIY-ing it at home.

Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics