Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Receiving Line vs. Table Visits

Lynnie, on December 7, 2017 at 19:04 Posted in Wedding reception 0 25

How will you be greeting your guests? Will you have a receiving line, or will be doing table visits?

Receiving Line vs. Table Visits 1

Photo from Pinterest

25 Comments

Latest activity by Carmela, on August 9, 2018 at 13:53
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Jennifer for breaking that down for me!!! That was really helpful! Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So table visits are during dinner (maybe in between the courses) or during cocktail hour. you go and visit people at the table. to say thank you etc etc.
    depending on the number of people you have at your wedding. time wise a receiving line is better. our wedding coordinator broke it down for table visits vs receiving line. "you have 200 people, you spend an average of 1-2 minutes talking to each person. there is 200-400 minutes (so 3 hours). and you don't get to enjoy your wedding. you do a receiving line with just you and hubby (or parents too). you go quick quick"
    for me personally as much as table visits would be more personable. but I want to dance and drink etc. and my friends know me. i will socialize like a champ on the dance floor. so receiving line it is. and plus in between the courses we are doing our speeches.

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We come from an Italian background and all I’ve ever known is a recieving lines, so this visiting table is a new concept to me. Can someone please explain what a visiting table is and what would you put on these tables.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am strongly against a receiving line, his mother and aunt are not happy with my decision against it. We plan to just make our table visits.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely will keep in mind

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Table visits for sure. 175 guests is too many for a receiving line.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The idea of table visits gives the couple more time with your guests rather than a line. No one can see the entry and take pictures. Give it some thought to know if the line overcomes table visits.
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a receiving line. It wasn't really planned. I hadn't really thought about it, but it kind of just happened and I like being able to greet everyone after the wedding. Mind you, we only had 35 guests so didn't take too long!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did table visits. It was just easier for our timeline.

• Megan
    Beginner November 2018 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing table visit, every wedding I’ve been to that has had a receiving line I have not liked it. We are also taking some photos first so hopefully we can visit a little during cocktail hour.

• Jes G.
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Jes G. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ll probably do both. I think the quick chats with the receiving line is good just to make sure you’ve said hi to everyone and the table visits give you more of an opportunity to speak with catch up with some of your guests.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Table visits.

I absolutely believe in greeting your guests, however, a receiving line is just too quick for me. I feel like people spend too much time waiting around just for a quick chat. ALSO, those dates of invited guests will just be bored in a receiving line.

Just my opinion though based on personal experience waiting in receiving lines LMAO
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think Table Visit has more of a personal touch to it. Our wedding isn't too big about 125-130 ppl so 12-13 tables so that's not too many tables to hit. Even if we can't get to all the tables we will see everyone throughout the day, after ceremony and during reception. And maybe even the day after the wedding too as we are a wedding block in the hotel for our guests.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Table visits. I don't like receiving lines; I never know what to say to the people I don't know. Also, we want to get started on pictures right away so we get the most out of our photographers while we have them.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having our ceremony at the hall and will have a cocktail hour right after hoping to get to everyone then, if not during the dancing we will.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our ceremony venue actually doesn’t allow us to have a receiving line. But that’s honestly fine by me. We are going to just be visiting at dinner. FH isn’t too excited about that, but he’s not a very social person. At least he will know everyone there. Haha
  • Crystal
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ll be doing both!
    Although the table visits may be cut short since my FH and I both LOVE dancing! We’ll be on the d-floor most of the night! ☺️
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Happy hour visits! We have planned our day so we will be at happy hour with all our guests for an hour or so before dinner and hope to make the rounds then, so we can sit down and enjoy our dinner. If we dont make it to see everyone then we will finish up with table visits after we eat Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think we will do a receiving line and then visit as many tables as we can after dinner between speeches. Just so we can make sure everyone is having a good time and get a chance to talk more than just "thanks for coming" in the receiving line.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a receiving line so we could enjoy our dinner. It was hard enough to eat between people clinking glasses and speeches...I'm glad we got it done before dinner!

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Table visits. The main reason is that I bet my life we will both want to eat first and then start socializing further!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a receiving line, I like he idea of seeing people right after our ceremony.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Table visits.
  • Dani
    Frequent user February 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Table visits so we can do it on our own terms. Plus we're having only 50 people so it would be easy to do.

• Charlene
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Charlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely table visits

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics