Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RonAnthony
Beginner November 2022 Ontario

Real vs Faux Flowers for Centrepieces

RonAnthony, on September 13, 2021 at 15:26 Posted in Plan a wedding 2 29

I need some input on whether to get real or faux flowers for centrepieces. I'm leaning more on faux just because it cost less but will the guest care? I know guests would love to take home centrepieces but will it be a disappoint if it were faux flowers?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Daily, on September 23, 2021 at 15:19
  • Daily
    Expert August 2022 Ontario
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You’re welcome and the best of luck. Check online or wedding resale. Most websites that I like are in the US.
  • RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for sharing Daily! Smiley smile

I hope to find a florist that will work within my budget.

• Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One of the florist in Ottawa that I asked her for my centerpieces, she quoted me with the same price for real or silk flowers centerpieces.!! Sometimes silk can be as expensive as real flowers.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes!! I’ve finally decided to go with faux/ silk or foam instead of real flowers. I was crazy about real flowers but I don’t want to spend up to 3000 on real flowers. Also, I can prepare ahead with faux flowers. I don’t have to worry about the flowers being wilted especially with the humidity in the summer
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Artificial flower wise, we had white floral ball only as the centerpiece topper on a vase per table. It gave the neutral base to the vibrant colours lighted in every vase. For those who knew it was fake, they didn't mind it as it gave the elegance look.

• K
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went with fake flowers, not just for cost efficiency, but also for being able to keep them longer and to minimise the possibility of aggravating scent-allergies.
    I still have the bouquet from when I was my sister's bridesmaid over ten years ago.
    The only real flowers in my bouquet will be the Thistle - my florist advised me that faux thistle can truly look fake, while the rest of the flowers look real enough.

Have a wonderful celebration!

• Lindsay
    Newbie July 2022 British Columbia
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no! Yes I’m sure they will come back and seems to go on sale quite frequently based on the emails I get. I bought some about a month ago and I’m waiting for them to arrive. Best of luck!
  • RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Lindsay!

Haven't heard of this company but the flowers look fabulous! We'll inquire with them in the future. Unfortunately, they posted a notice saying they won't be taking new orders in the foreseeable future due to covid supply issues. But hopefully by next year, they will!

• Lindsay
    Newbie July 2022 British Columbia
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you looked into sola wood flowers? They are so gorgeous and are on sale for 70% off right now on their website!
  • Mariel
    Newbie September 2021 British Columbia
    Mariel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We rented faux flowers for our centerpieces, and honestly, it's so great that we did not have to put together anything, and that we didn't need to think about where to put them or what to do with them right after! I bought faux flowers as well for pew ends/pew markers and put them together with satin bows and tulle (that took a lot of time but I was happy with how they looked). I also used Facebook Marketplace to find flowers/centerpieces so I was able to save a lot.

Our guests didn't really care about the faux flowers, we received compliments about how our decor both in our ceremony and our reception was very elegant.

If you are looking to get real flowers, though, one tip: buy wholesale from Costco if you can and if you have someone to help you with putting your flowers together. You'll get a great deal with them than buying from florists.

• RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Flowers aren’t high on our priority list but I also want some beautiful florals at our wedding, especially for centrepieces. We’re getting married at a church so we’d also want some flowers for the aisle. We’ll have to check prices for faux flowers but from what I’ve seen so far, faux flowers are significantly less expensive than real.
  • RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes!! That’s the idea!! Lanterns instead of bouquets 😁 really excited to see it come to life!! We bought white lanterns at Ikea. Gonna put some fairy lights inside!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! Lanterns are pretty as well ❤
  • Janice
    Janice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is what we are planning to do too! But with black lanterns, faux greenery, and some candles for the centrepieces. Are the bridesmaids holding the lanterns instead of bouquets then? 😱I love that idea.
  • Janice
    Janice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those are gorgeous! 😍 Were thinking of doing this too but with lanterns.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As for whether you want real or faux flowers, it honestly depends on a few things. If real looking flowers are important to you, than faux flowers won't cut it for certain species. We used baby's breath and it's definitely notice if they're real or not.

We found the price differences between real and faux flowers only become significant if we went with large arrangements. Our centerpieces for the guest's tables were on the smaller side, with one rose and baby's breath in a skinny vase. Those flowers could've been procured at any grocery store florist for under $50 for our 10 tables and it would've cost us just as much to get them as faux flowers.

• RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! I wouldn’t know what to do with our centrepieces if no one took them. I guess others have suggested to sell them. If anything, I’ll take one centrepiece home as a souvenir if people don’t want it 😅
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A lot of weddings have a "who wins the centerpiece" game. But I'm sure there are a few where inconsiderate people just outright steal them as well.

A few people asked us if they could take home our centerpieces. We didn't rent anything and ours weren't expensive so we were like, why not. Less things for us to pack and take back hahaha

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's sounds like those lanterns will be beautiful!! Smiley heart I can't wait to see the final product! Oh and that is so true some people could be allergic. That's wonderful that we've all been able to help you!

• RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the tip Amanda! I’m actually planning on having a diy lantern bouquet for my bridesmaids. We got some lanterns at IKEA for 3.99 ea and gonna put some fairy lights in them! We’ll go with faux flowers because as Rayanne pointed out.. some people could be allergic to flowers too! Really appreciate all the feedback I’m getting as flowers are the one thing I’m really stressing about our wedding 😆 But hearing about how great faux flowers are, we’re gonna go for faux!! 😁
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!! Our florist has really outdone herself! Of course hun!! The pictures don't do the flowers justice. I can't wait for our photographer to capture them! That's exactly why my fiance and I went with artificial flowers for everything! We're getting married in Kelowna in August where it can be anywhere from 32-40 and I would hate for my flowers to wilt as soon as the get outside! This way with artificial flowers, I'll have them all day and all night and I'll be able to resell them afterwards! You just have to find the right florist and go from there!

• RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no!! I never thought about allergies but thanks for bringing it up!! Will definitely be going faux!!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going with faux flowers for relief for all the allergy suffers in our life (including myself) a room full of flowers is high on my nightmare list 🤣
  • RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes!! Some guests love taking centrepieces home as souvenirs 😅 Also, a family member has called dibs on the centrepiece already and the wedding is over a year away! 😂 Having said that, we’ll probably play a game over who takes home a centrepiece for each table! I haven’t been to a lot of weddings but every time I go, people take home centrepieces! Not sure if it’s a cultural thing (I’m Filipino).
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Guests take home centrepieces???? Is this a thing?! I have been to sooo many weddings and, including ours, trust has NEVER come up! You'll know your crowd best - a good, high quality faux centrepiece most won't notice but at that point your price point may be similar to real flowers, however, you can sell them after (if no one takes them 😅)!
  • RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow! Beautiful! I love it!! And you're so right! I can't even tell the difference!

Thank you for sharing the pictures! Smiley smile Really appreciate it!! I was only thinking of doing faux flowers for centrepieces but I think we'll consider it for all our wedding flowers!! As they look amazing and won't have to worry about anything wilting.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think your guests will even notice! These days you can get lifelike flowers that look and feel like real flowers but they're in fact artificial. My fiance and I have done this rought. This is what they look like!

Real vs Faux Flowers for Centrepieces 1
    Real vs Faux Flowers for Centrepieces 2
    Real vs Faux Flowers for Centrepieces 3
    Real vs Faux Flowers for Centrepieces 4
    Real vs Faux Flowers for Centrepieces 5
    Real vs Faux Flowers for Centrepieces 6
    Real vs Faux Flowers for Centrepieces 7

• RonAnthony
    RonAnthony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Liberty!

And you're right! Faux flowers are so common these days! And a lot of them look so real! Will definitely be looking into some faux flowers!

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think guests would care. Faux flowers are becoming soo much more common! We are doing fake flowers because of cost and we can set them up the day before without worrying about them wilting

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics