Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Curious May 2022 Ontario

Rain on wedding Day

Erin, on June 20, 2021 at 22:42 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 5
We are getting married in June 26th and it is showing 70% chance of rain 😭. I just ordered clear umbrellas for the photos, but my big problem is finding a tent to rent that isn’t crazy expensive. I’m thinking I need a 20x20 tent but the prices I’ve seen for rental is like $500 or more! Would it be cheaper to buy?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Karen, on July 5, 2021 at 22:57
  • Karen
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Rent the tent for a Events Place.

Spend some money with this - they set it up, take it down, all you have to do is use the space.

Really who needs the added stress of convincing your already stretched friends & family to help put a tent up when you REALLY probably don't have a clue...

In the end, the less stress the better. We can't control the weather, we can control how we dance in the rain tho!

K

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The cost of a tent rental seems high though its the going rate vs. purchasing one to store after for so many years of not being used. Is the venue able to have a back up plan for indoors if the weather is showing for rain? It would be good to talk to them and ask them what they can do in this case.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it's a backyard, you'll need a permit from the city.

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/building-construction/apply-for-a-building-permit/building-permit-application-guides/guides-for-structures/tents-and-temporary-structures/

It is early to accurately predict rain but in the event it will happen, I would still rent one and have their licensed team secure it for you. If you buy one and it's lightweight, it may not hold rain properly. And god forbid in the event it's unstable or a heavy gush of wind blows it over to your neighbours (it does happen!) your sister can have a major ding on her homeowners insurance.

Crossing my fingers the weather will cooperate with you!

• Erin
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are doing the wedding in my sisters backyard with 20 of us 2 metres apart. No indoor option unfortunately. I’m thinking it might be worth it to wait a little and see if the rain will change and if not just buy one off of marketplace or kijiji
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the ceremony, if the venue doesn't have a rain plan, I would move it indoors if you can since you're allowed 15% capacity.

For the reception, since you only need three square tables max for 10 people (2 x tables of 4 + sweetheart table for you), you can probably make do with a 10'x10' tent. Renting is definitely cheaper than buying because for a tent to have a solid foundation and be structurally sound enough to hold heavy rain water, you'll need something heavy duty which won't come cheap.

Are you doing this at a venue or at home?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics