Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Whitney
Newbie October 2019 Saskatchewan

Rain on wedding day

Whitney, on September 27, 2019 at 08:49 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 13
When planning an outdoor ceremony we were well aware that our plans could be spoiled by rain. We decided that a week before our wedding, if it looked crappy we would just change the ceremony to our hall. Well today is a week and there’s 70% chance of rain as of right now, and the weather network has literally changed the forecast every 2 hours. Now I’m struggling to put my wedding in a hall. All I ever wanted was to be married outside!!! Scared the hall will just look tacky

13 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on September 30, 2019 at 13:57
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I checked the weather everyday leading up to my wedding, and every day it changed. The morning of, it was sunny. It started raining while I got my hair done. It was sunny by noon, when we had to call indoor or outdoor ceremony. We said outdoor. Ten minutes before the ceremony, a dark cloud rolled in. And just before I walked down the aisle, it started raining. The venue coordinator came out with an umbrella so I wouldn’t get wet. Our marriage licence blew off the table. We said our vows in the rain. I looked out to the crowd and noticed a few people were lined up along the outside to try to stay dry. So I said let’s go inside. We finished the ceremony on the dance floor, with the buffet table behind us. Not what I was expecting but I honestly wouldn’t change it.
    All that to say, things will happen on your wedding day. But, at the end of the day, you will be married. So, if you don’t want to get married inside, that’s fine, you just may get wet. But, you will dry off. The hardest thing is to just roll with it on your wedding day when you’ve planned it for so long. Rain makes amazing pictures and it will be a wedding to remember if it rains during the ceremony! As long as you and your fiancé are chill, guests will follow your attitude about it.
  • Whitney
    Whitney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As of right now we are planning on having our ceremony outside! However today it’s snowing like crazy here!! I hope it gets better for both of us!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not that I'm creeping or anything - but I noticed that now my wedding day is going to have a 90% chance of rain so I thought I would check to see if your weather forecast changed too... well at least your wedding won't (knock on wood) have rain! lol still time for the weather to shift even more and maybe send the rain all the way to Ontario though!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would keep an eye on the weather and see how last minute you can make the change.
    The weather has literally changed so many times for our wedding day over the last 2 weeks that you just have to wait and see what happens on that day!!
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you're concerned about it looking the way it would have outside, talk to the hall and see what you can do to bring the outside look inside. Then you can really create your own private outdoor ceremony 😁
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So have it outside.Buy some clear umbrellas and a cute pair of rain boots.Warn your guests to dress for the weather and have your wedding your way.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would just do it in the hall. i dont want to be wet or have wet feet (my biggest pet peeve lol) but you could always do it with just some clear umbrellas i know they sell them for super cheap!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes mother nature doesn't want to give us what we want and take what comes down. Plan B us always good as a back up in case the weather does turn bad.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm over in MB and we will be getting that rain a day later (October 6th - and my wedding is the 5th as well).

With our weather network changing this much I honestly don't even care - my FH's family went to his cousin's wedding last year in September and it was that ONE weekend in September that was unusually cold (like 0°C...) and people were still braving the cold outside near the water with wind! It's doable!!!!

I will be outside rain or shine - but when do you have to let the venue know by?

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the venue will be able to do a great job of setting things up to be absolutely gorgeous, too! If it's going to be that cold, it may be best to just call it and head inside. There's still lots of opportunity for photos outside even if it's chilly and rainy!

• Whitney
    Whitney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would love if we could do it rain or shine however our DJ isn’t able to bring his equipment in the rain and it’s only calling to be 6 degrees that day now. Might be quite miserable. We have the option of calling it early so that we can set the hall up appropriately but just doesn’t feel the same
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Whitney,If it helps at all - it poured for my wedding ceremony and we kept it outside! Perhaps wasn't ideal, but I didn't want to have it at the same place we were eating (I would have had to walk in between tables, and just wouldn't have felt the same to me). We let people know ahead of time that it was rain or shine, so everyone had umbrellas just in case, thank goodness! I love the pics of our ceremony in the rain! Do what you and your partner feel is best - the ceremony isn't usually very long anyway, right? Smiley smile

Family - After ceremonyRain on wedding day 1

CeremonyRain on wedding day 2

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would reach out to your coordinator and find how last minute can you let them know whether you'll want it inside versus outside?

If you really want to do it outside, can you buy some of those clear umbrellas and have them ready for your bridal party, officiant and you and your groom?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics