Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carly
Newbie May 2019 Ontario

Questions to ask when visiting venues

Carly, on February 17, 2018 at 22:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Hi all!

My fiancé and I are starting to view venues this week. What are some important questions to ask that are easily overlooked?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Carmela, on February 25, 2018 at 10:01
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Asking them if they have a plug in fee... my does and its crazy expensive.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ask about a bridal suite or private room where you can hang out before the wedding. I didn't ask about that and my venue didn't have one, so I had to hide from my husband before the wedding in the hall. Not a big deal, but a separate private room where guests weren't wandering in to look would have been nice.

Also, ask if the venue stays open to the general public during their normal hours on your wedding day. I got married at a winery and it remained open for service until their normal closing time. It wasn't a big deal at all, most people will leave when the guests start arriving, but for some people that can be a deterrent to booking.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely depends on the venue, are you booking a hotel? are you booking a restaurant, a community center, outdoor wedding?

I booked a hotel so these were my questions:

1) what is included in their wedding package?

2) group block room rates and conditions? What is included with the rate? (guests staying in the hotel get free breakfast the morning after before 11AM)

3) food options (picky eaters/allergies) (we have 1-2 celiac individuals)

4) when can we start set up (how early do we have the venue until)

5) how much would the cost be if the venue were to take care of set up and tear down of decorations?

6) how late can we have the venue until

7) any previous clients you had that we are able to contact for feedback? (actually forgot to ask this one but I've seen good reviews online and I'm with a couple wedding groups on FB where a few brides have given positive reviews for the venue)

8) Is there a min amount of ppl we need to meet in order to book venue? (when I was shopping around, some venues required you meet a certain number of guests in order to book their venue space. There was one I like (didn't book them) but we had to meet like 160 ppl in order for us to even consider the space. We are sitting at about 115 ppl)

9) is there an extra cost to host both ceremony and reception at the same venue?

10) if we spend an $XXX amount of money on food and alcohol is there is a discount on our final bill? (can't remember the answer to this question actually.)

11) do we need to use their in house DJ or could we provide our own (this was for a different venue, where their package included a DJ)

That's all I can think of right now haha

There will be lots of questions you think up after you leave or the day after you meet up.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What is included in the package such as set up and break down for the wedding.

What is included for the food package deal/extra costs to pay: h'odrouvres, sit down dinner meals or buffet and sweet table and latr night buffet.

Socan fee for a DJ being hired?

Open bar vs cash bar and if there is any corkage fee if you are allowed to bring your own liquor in the venue. How many hours for the open bar and whats is the extra hour amount going at?

Centerpeices avalaible or have to be brought in?

Who is the wedding coordinator for the day for vendors to ask if needing anything.

Backdrop set up and skirting on the tables taken care of or needs to be done on your end.

What time does the hall need to be cleared by (party end time and vendors packed and left).
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some great points here, some of the other things we asked:

- How many bartenders are there? Nothing worse than long lines during cocktail hours

- Do you allow shots (a lot don't)

- Minimum guest count required?

- Do you set up the decor? What time does the decor have to be picked up by?

- Can guests leave their cars overnight if they drink too much

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This post is so timely, we did our first site visit this morning. Some questions that came up:

1. Bulk/discount room rate for guests (if at a hotel)

2. Coke or Pepsi products (not important to some, but if you can't choose between venues it may come down to the little things!)

3. Outdoor event? What's the back up plan for bad weather?

4. What parking options are available on site or close by for guests? Depending on where you are, can they park there overnight?

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would ask about the bar options and about the corkage fee if you decide to bring a different type of wine.
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Also, ask about food accommodations. Do you have any dietary restrictions, allergies, vegan/vegetarian? What do they offer for that?

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ah the fun begins! The main questions I asked were:

1. Is there a SOCAN fee? (There are rules online dictating what a venue can charge for this)

2. Is there a plug-in fee?

3. How much are vendor meals?

4. How much are kids meals? What age do you consider a kid?

5. Is there a minimum guest requirement? If so, how much for each empty spot?

6. What is your server-per-guest ratio?

7. Will there be any other weddings happening at the same time as mine?

8. Are the washrooms private to my guests?

9. Do we have a private entrance?

10. Are they are restrictions on sound, decor, or dress code?

11. Are there any overtime fees?

12. What time do we have the venue from?

13. Is there a bridal suite?

14. Is there a safe I can keep my envelopes in?

That’s all I can think of right now lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics