Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rayanne
Master June 2022 Ontario

Question for the men...about suits

Rayanne, on September 19, 2021 at 11:12 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 11
I need to buy my older sons a suit for the wedding. I need to find something affordable because honestly there is a chance this will be the only day they wear the suit but for the price of renting I'd rather buy something they they can have for just in case. Both have jobs where they will never wear the suit so it's basically for if they get invited to another wedding or some event. Where is the best place to go? What do I look for in a suit? When you order a suit do they tailor it or will that be extra? My oldest son lives up in the north bay area and will likely not be able to come down for multiple fittings or possibly not even one. So is there a chain he can buy a suit from that has a good reputation? They do not have to get matching suits I want them to be comfortable in what they wear.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on September 25, 2021 at 20:58
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nice I think my step-dad is going to take my son shopping to find something. He wore suits at work all the time and definitely knows more than I do. They are going to go check out moores I think
  • Emily
    Beginner June 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance just got his suit today at Moore's! They were reasonably priced to begin with and since it was for a wedding they gave us a big discount! The tailoring was also included in the price of the suit Smiley smile
  • Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husbands suit was from Alain Dupetit, it was a beautiful 3 piece suit and we paid less than $100 and get to keep it forever. I highly reommend checking out their website!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair enough. Yeah, try looking at the Joseph Aboud at Moores first. If he doesn't find something he likes at Moores, he can also try The Bay.

He could try and wait until November when they have their holiday sales but if he's a standard size (chest between 34" - 42", waist being 6" smaller than chest), I wouldn't wait too long as they tend to sell out fairly quickly.

Another option is, depending on how early he'll arrive to the Niagara area prior to the wedding, try the outlets since you have a Banana Republic Factory and Saks Off 5th Outlet near you. It would be a bit of a gamble since it will be post-holiday shopping and cutting close to your wedding but if he can fit most off the rack stuff without taking in the waist, then he can get a crazy deal and likely a much bigger selection than what he could find in North Bay. Not to mention you can be a part of the process (if you want, it would take up time from your own schedule of course).

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. I would prefer a suit for them. They are also not at a point in their life where they would appreciate a sports coat either. I doubt they own a turtleneck 😅 and would have no idea what chinos are. I will try to steer them towards the Joseph Aboud. I definitely want it tailored give the allusion of having a clue what we are doing....
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would highly recommend him getting the suit where he's at so he can try it on and get it altered if he needs to at the store (it will cost extra). Most likely he will require hemming of the pant leg and shortening of the sleeves, maybe a taper for both pant legs and sleeves if he prefers a more slim look. Depending on his body shape, he may need to take in the waist.

I suggest Moores, since there's one in his town. Sign up for the newsletter and you can find out which week the suits go on sale. My brother-in-law got a suit for under $100 because I notified him of the sale from one of those emails. If at Moores, aim for Joseph Aboud. It's their best cut and it's outer shell is 100% wool. Their other brands like Kenneth Cole, Calvin Klein, and JOE usually contains polyester, which is a cheaper fabric with a weird shine and not as breathable.

For the dress shirt, have him go to Moores or The Bay. They actually measure their shirts by neck size and sleeve length as opposed to small/medium/large for a more accurate fit. Aim for a 100% cotton shirt for comfort.

If he's very unlikely to wear a suit in his work and every day life, if you don't mind that it's not as formal, another option is a sportscoat. He can dress it up by pairing it with a dress shirt and pocket square, a nice watch, along with a black or dark grey dress pants he already owns and dress shoes. And in his everyday life, he can easily dress it down with a turtleneck, a denim shirt, jeans, chinos, etc.

• Kirsten
    Beginner June 2022 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We found some good deals at tip top tailors, we signed up for the email list to get notified of all the deals and I think you get a discount code for signing up too.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you I will
  • Laura
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I also recommend signing up for email promotions, sometimes you'll get special offers and discounts simply for signing up. Good luck! Hope this helps!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I believe there is a moores in north bay and there is one down the street from me too so definitely worth having a look.
  • Laura
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When my fiancé and I were in my friend's wedding he went to Moore's. They had a really good sale going and it was worth it to look through the sale area. You'd never know he got his suit for more than half off! The Bay has some hidden gems as well. In all honesty as long as the suit is well tailored, he'll look amazing, whatever price is spent.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics