Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Curious November 2026 Alberta

Pushing Out Wedding Date

Bea, on July 11, 2023 at 16:24 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16
My fiancé and I are in a lot of debt. He has more than I do. I tried to convince my fiancé to elope or have a tiny wedding. He is totally against those ideas.

I’m very uncomfortable with starting our marriage with debt. We reached a compromise. He can have his big wedding but we need to wait another year in order to pay off debt and save for the wedding.
He proposed at the end of 2022. We won’t be getting married until October 2026. That’s a very long engagement but it’s worth it for greater financial stability.
Is anyone else having a long engagement for financial reasons?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Bea, on August 7, 2023 at 15:15
  • B
    Bea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, many vendors offer to keep pricing the same as the current year if you’re booking far out.

Our venue is popular so we’re going to book 20 months in advance. I hope we get it. I think we will.
  • K
    Curious September 2021 Alberta
    Kaitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OOOO smart!

We're old and want kids, so it was a shorter engagement (9 months), I didn't even know you could get an early booking discount.

• B
    Bea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really appreciate your response! It’s filled with great ideas.

We decided to move the wedding back to 2025 because we can lock in lower prices if we book by the end of this year.
  • K
    Curious September 2021 Alberta
    Kaitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe a budget wedding? That is only IF you want to get married sooner than later. Later is good.

We rented a country hall ($700 for the entire weekend), had a good but reasonable caterer ($30 a plate). And most other stuff was very personal (and labour intensive) rather than expensive.

But seriously, if he wants the wedding he should be planning it, within a budget, which might be hard depending on how the debt was accumulated. My husband did very little and I'm still upset about it.

We did ours for under 10k (150 guests) and I didn't feel like 'i wish i had fancier centrepieces" or 'i wish I had that Instagram wedding venue' or anything. We just wanted a party with our favourite people.

A friend did hers for under 5k (100-150 guests). another friend was about 7k (70 guests), one did a potluck at a park wedding for under 1k (dress, liscence, etc still adds up fast). Truly only one acquaintance of mine had a big blow out of a wedding (65k yeesh), and she still considers it the best day of her life, so it was totally worth it. But the rest of us were happy with our cheaper weddings.

Talk to your Fiancé, why does he want the wedding, what aspect is important. If its just a big party with the boys then thats easy!

ALSO costco for boose. we had a toonie bar and instructed the bartender to be generous and never ask for payment, we made more than we spent on boose and costco took back everything we didnt drink.

READ THIS,

You might like this actually. We got married on a cliff in the middle of nowhere with immediate family and then had the reception the following weekend. Then you get your 'elopement' and he gets his wedding (unless its the religious aspect he wanted?).

I was awesome, and still so busy i have no idea how people do it in one day!

• K
    Beginner September 2023 British Columbia
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They started dating at 15, got engaged at 21 and got married at 32!
  • B
    Bea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my days! That’s an extremely long engagement! Were she and her partner very young when they met?
  • K
    Beginner September 2023 British Columbia
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged in 2019, and are getting married just a touch over our 4 year engagement. If it makes you feel less stressed, my sister got engaged in 2008 and got married in 2019 😂
  • Liberty
    VIP May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally agree! My husband and I bought a house within 3 weeks of the wedding so we prioritized that! I put anything I could on my credit card for the wedding (to get cash back) but made sure it able to be paid off quickly
  • B
    Bea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Going into debt for a wedding is terrible.
    I don’t mind paying for small wedding items on a credit card. The amount can’t be more than a few hundred dollars-I can quickly pay that off.
  • Liberty
    VIP May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think waiting is the smart thing to do! A friend of mine got married 4 years ago, had to take out a loan to pay for the wedding because of her husband's debt. They are still paying off the loan and she regrets it.
  • B
    Bea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the well wishes.
    Honestly, I’m already dealing with resentment toward my fiancé. This wedding is a financially stupid decision. I also hate being the centre of attention. I think we need to be smart and elope. However, my fiancé says he NEEDS to have a wedding and it’s on his bucket list. I will have the wedding out of love for my fiancé but I still think it’s stupid.
  • B
    Bea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the kind and wise words!
    My fiancé loved your post. You raised an excellent point about needing more time to save because we’re paying for all of this ourselves.
    By the time we’re ready to book everything, we’ll have lots of money saved and we can snatch up the best vendors.
  • Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this is a great idea! You don’t want to end up resenting eachother after years of marriage because you’re still paying off the wedding and are getting further in debt.

Besides, engagement is SUCH. Special time for the two of you as a couple. A lot of people don’t really have time to soak that in with all the stress of wedding planning. Enjoy this time together as an engaged couple 🥰
    Congrats!
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Things did not go as planned for us, we were in small amount of debt but wanted to get married, we were going to stay in our small 1 bedroom apartment to clear out the debt and save for a house, well, I got pregnant, so we are forced to rent a house, still getting married because we put too much money into the wedding already, and then baby girl is born in November.

We are digging ourselves more and more into a hole. I know the wedding will be worth it, the bigger place also worth it and the baby for sure worth it.

I think it's smart to have a longer engagement and reducing the amount of debt. Everything is just so expensive, and you do not want to debt over your head it puts a lot of stress on couples and the first year is the hardest.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband and I had a long engagement 2017 got married in 2022. We originally had our wedding date set for 2020 but covid pushed us back two more years. So originally ours was going to be 2 and a half years before we got married.

It's honestly doesn't matter how long your engagement is as long as you and your partner are happy and to be honest weddings cost alot and saving a bit of money is always a win in my eyes
  • Brittany
    Super August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I think this is a smart idea.

We were in very similar boat when we first got engaged in March of 2021. I was working a job that did not pay well, I had over 60k in student debt alone (this did not include other loans and credit cards) and my fiancé was also not in the best situation financially.

We decided to hanker down for the year of 2021 and parts of 2022 to pay as much down as we can. Luckily, at the end of 2021 I got a much better paying job and in early 2022 I got an inheritance that was able to pay all my debt off. After that, then we decided to make plans for our wedding and is now able to afford the wedding of our dreams.

There is nothing wrong with a longer engagement, especially if you have no one who is helping you guys pay for the wedding.

Sit back and enjoy being engaged for the next year and a bit. We are already half way through 2023 and next year you guys can start looking at venues in the fall because they are usually booking about 2 years out - some even three years out!

Throw an engagement party with all the friends and family. Book a huge table at a restaurant, everyone pays for themselves and no gifts (this is what we did) and have some drinks. It will be so much fun Smiley smile

I can promise you, your vibes and choices will change. So do not pick out anything definitive yet, but definitely start looking at different themes and styles of wedding, colour schemes, wedding dresses, accessories, etc. So when the time comes to book you are 100% ready.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics