Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Colleen
Newbie June 2022 Alberta

Pushing 2021 wedding to 2022

Colleen, on January 12, 2021 at 22:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 22
Hey everyone! I’m currently booked for an October 2021 wedding. I booked it in August and I was so sure it would be “normal” -ish by end of the following year !!

Turns out this year isn’t looking as promising as I thought.. My best case scenario guest list is 85 people, so not huge, but I’m not even sure if I see that panning out.
Have any 2021 brides already pushed their weddings to 2022? I feel so bummed But also not sure if I want to pay for a wedding that isn’t close to what I wanted.
I understand that small weddings can be wonderful and intimate, but I wanted my friends and family there, able to dance and hug, and drink and party into the evening ! I’m just not sure that vision is going to come true Smiley sad
Anyone else feeling this way?

22 Comments

Latest activity by Daily, on January 26, 2021 at 20:32
  • Daily
    Expert August 2022 Ontario
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same here!! I’m thinking of pushing my 2021 wedding to August 2022. We already postpone it from August 2020 to August 2021. Not sure if my venue will let me postpone it again! I am legally married, we just never had a wedding ceremony. It is more of a party and celebration with our families and friends.
  • Alyssa
    Newbie August 2023 Ontario
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was supposed to be September 2020 and we ended up setting a tentative date of August 2023. It was disappointing at first but it’s actually turning out to be a blessing in disguise. We are able to save more money than we originally anticipated in order to be able to have the wedding we wanted with fewer compromises. We are also expanding our family in the meantime so hopefully we’ll have a little flower girl to go with our darling little ring bearer. We figured by 2023 COVID would be mostly settled. We were worried about setting an earlier date and having to reschedule again.
  • Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged July 2019, were supposed to have our original ceremony in May 2020. We postponed our May date to August 2020 hoping things would be normal by then, postponed August to our one year anniversary in April as we ended up having a small ceremony in April since we got our licence for our wedding already, and have made the decision to further postpone our vow renewal again to April 2022. It’s been a huge pain having to postpone so many times but our vendors have been amazing and super understanding! I am totally with you on the paying for a wedding not close to what you wanted, that was a huge factor in us moving our vow renewal ceremony. I felt as if we have already sacrificed enough and don’t want to give up things that are to me are an important part of a wedding (ie: mingling and cocktail hour, dancing etc), while we’re already legally married, we didn’t get our full wedding and I feel like that was already a sacrifice we made because of COVID and don’t want to sacrifice more! We want all of our friends and family there that we originally planned and we agreed that it wouldn’t be feasible for this year, and ultimately decided that waiting it out was our

best option to hopefully get the wedding we’ve been hoping for! 🤞🏼 Thinking of you and your fiancé and know either way you guys will make the best decisions for you!
  • Kelcie
    Beginner May 2022 Ontario
    Kelcie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey!
    We have been engaged since oct 2019 and were suppose to get married June 12th 2021.. we had made the decision right after New Years to push to May 28th 2022 & even still I’m freaking out about that date but the hall we want is already pretty well booked for 2022. I have a huge family and I wouldn’t be able to cut some people out without upsetting others, it would just have been us and our parents, siblings and grandparents and it’s not what We want to do at all. We want to enjoy the night without masks and be able to dance and have our dream wedding . It is a hard choice but you need to do what’s best for you.
    There are so many people in the same situation as you but it will be worth the wait !
    We have decided we definitely will not push it again at this point as we want to buy a house and start a family . If worse comes to worse for our 2022 date we are just going to get married that day and maybe have a big party later on with dancing and drinks when things are better.
    I feel your pain 100% but I have a good feeling for 2022. Fingers crossed ! 🤞🏼

• Ss
    Beginner January 2022 Ontario
    Ss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are currently trying to move our October 2021 wedding to September/October 2022.

The government and the imposed restrictions are very much centred around herd immunity and at least 70% of the population receiving the vaccine. Last I heard, barring more delays, etc, the general won’t even be full vaccinated until the end of September/October 2021. To us, that means more restrictions, still masks during mingling, no dancing, no hugging, etc.
    That is not a celebration.
    This will be the second/third time we move it (we changed venues and had to switch to the Friday instead of a Saturday with one date).
    What we are coming across now later into this pandemic is more vendors charging rescheduling fees (sometimes multiple ones) and it’s making us reconsider whether we call the whole thing off an elope.
    Just sad that we have to consider compromising our forever wedding because of additional fees being charged
  • Sarah
    Newbie August 2022 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I absolutely feel this way! We're supposed to be getting married on August 21, 2021, and we're so bummed about how things are turning out. Not enjoying the planning process anymore and feel like we're settling with the current restrictions. Considering pushing this out to 2022 but still want to get married this year, but not sure what that would look like?

• Caron
    Newbie May 2022 Ontario
    Caron ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I originally planned to have our wedding on September 5, 2021. We even booked our venue in July of 2019. Like you, we were hoping that by September we would be ok, but I think you’re right about this year not looking so promising. I requested a back up date in 2022 with my vendors before Christmas, just to have a Plan B in place. We are not willing to sacrifice any of our original plans, cut our guest list down and most of all - I don’t want to see masks on my big day! We just made the decision to postpone it to our back up date of May 28, 2022. Luckily for us, all of our vendors are able to accommodate our second date. Fingers crossed restrictions will be lifted by then!
  • Sam
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Planning for August 2021 with 30 ppl, outdoor ceremony and indoor reception. Fingers crossed
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well we are supposed to be 34 days away from wedding (Feb 2021) but are 376 days away (Jan 2022). There is no way would be able to have the wedding we want in a couple of weeks. That being said as long as we can have the minimum of 50 people at the wedding we will go ahead with our plans ne t year.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are going ahead with our August 7 2021 wedding as of right now in Kelowna BC. We already postponed our first date August 8 2020 back in May and don't really want to postpone again. The only way that we'd postpone again is if gathering sizes don't increase more then 10. We're waiting until maybe the end of March early April or possibly even May before we make a final decision about postponing another year

• Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is planned for September 2021. We haven't postponed yet, and truthfully I'm not sure if we will. We meet with our venue in the Spring to finalize details and at that point in time we will evaluate what current restrictions are like and if we want to proceed with the wedding. I'm trying to remain optimistic (and realistic) and am hoping the restrictions ease up and they allow larger gatherings or they implement some rule where venues can hold weddings at 50% capacity. I'm sending positive vibes out to the universe and my fingers are crossed that everything pans out!!
  • Caitlyn
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No worries!!! I appreciate you sending me the link, it gives me peace of mind to know theres a somewhat rough idea of when the majority of Canadians can expect to be vaccinated
  • Caitlyn
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Which covid calculator were you looking at? I was under the assumption they were aiming for September 2021 for having Canadians vaccinated. September 2022 seems so far off 😔
  • Melissa
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Peace of mind, even! Autocorrect, sorry.
  • Melissa
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We made the decision last year to move ours from September 2021 to June 2022. We just didn’t want to risk it, as I am from England so I need my family and friends to be able to fly over to Canada for the wedding. We decided it was better to have pace of mind and more time to save up some extra money.
  • J
    Newbie October 2021 Pennsylvania
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is scheduled for October 2021 and recently I was optimistic as I was reading articles that said fall 2021 would be better for weddings vs. Spring/summer 2021 but then I found articles saying 2021 will pretty much be a wash for weddings in general. My venue can offer outdoor space but I do not want to cut my guest list and I really didn't want an outdoor wedding. My anxiety has gone through the roof in just a matter of a few days. I am hopeful with the vaccine now being administered that my dream wedding might happen but not hopeful it won't happen without restrictions. I was planning to send out save the dates in February but I'm thinking of pushing it back to march/April. The stress of the unknown is taking its toll.
  • Corynn
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Corynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just postpone my August wedding this year to August 2022. The vaccine won’t be available to general public until August and our wedding would have fallen within the first week in August! Besides the vaccine, we had so many reasons to postpone. Such as; pregnant bridesmaid, my parents and sister live in the U.S, etc. I read by October weddings should be okay but remember do what makes you feel comfortable!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Another October bride - original 2020 postponed to 2021. I am remaining hopeful - wether that is unrealistic optimism or not, I just think things are RAPIDLY changing so quickly with vaccine timelines that I still want to wait and see how it pans out. I’ve also just read enough articles from experts that Fall 2021 is going to be a heck of a lot more normal then it was last year, so that helps in my optimism. It’s tough though - some days I’m super panicked and I have prepared myself for another postponement but then other days I just take a deep breath and play the waiting game. My fiancé and I set April as our early decision making time as I think we will have a better idea about how it’s going to go then. Hang in there!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The year hasn't been as great as it should be with everything happening so bad. The thought is right to push back if you don't feel your day will be celebrated fully. Wait until the summer to consider your mind set to change the date if needed or proceed with your wedding. Reception for next year can be held if anything with your full guest list. The times do get most couples feeling insecure about the celebration taking place this year though making the best of the situation at hand we look at.

I hope your date does go as planned as for others too.

• Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am a June 2021 bride and I feel this so much. My fiance does not want to postpone at all and I know I will be very disappointed with a small (micro) wedding. Our wedding planner has already reached out and told us we need to have realistic expectations and that we may only have 25 guests in attendance.

• Bella
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Bella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are planning an October 2021 wedding. I've been having these thoughts as well but honestly at this point I'd rather just hope for the best. If anything, the past year has taught us not to delay things. We want to get on with our lives and start living it, so to wait until next year isn't feasible. Unless weddings are completely not allowed, we don't plan on delaying things. By then the majority of people will hopefully have vaccines, so although there may still be restrictions, I'm hoping they will be much lighter than they have been (50% capacity etc)
  • Kristy
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Kristy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi! Our wedding was supposed to be October 8th 2021 and just this week we made the decision to push it to October 2022. Our guest list is at 95 and while we could cut it down to a smaller “covid” wedding we really want our day to be as we’ve pictured it. Plus who knows what restrictions will be by then.
    Just like you said we want to hug and dance and drink and party with our family and friends ... we’re a little sad but for us it’s worth the wait!
    Good luck with whatever you decide!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics