Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner April 2018 Ontario

Providing alcohol for reception

Stephanie, on March 2, 2017 at 12:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 11

How on EARTH did you figure out how much alcohol to provide. We are inviting about 70 people but I expect only about 60-65 to come and about 10 of those are non drinkings/children.

I don't even know where to start. The LCBO has a calculator BUT you need to know the percentage of people who drink beer/wine/spirits and without asking I wouldn't have any idea. I know you can return unopened bottles here in Ontario so I'm not worried about having too much..I'm worried about having too little. Would it be reasonable to provide some but then mention it is fine if they want to BYOB as well? How many drinks per person will I plan for? I know some of the older people (my grandparents) will maybe have a glass of wine with lunch or a beer maximum but thats all and then the younger people who stay late to party/bonfire with us will likely have way more than the recommended amount of drinks per person.

Would it be reasonable to put a little card in the invitations that says "What is your drink of choice? Beer __ Wine __ Spirits __ (please check one per person attending)??

Does anyone have any information on the liquor laws in Ontario..I'm under the impression I wouldn't need a license if I'm providing it (only for sale). And asking my fiances 2 cousins (both 20+) to bartend for us.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Jasmin, on August 21, 2019 at 00:02
  • Jasmin
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Jasmin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My family aren’t big drinkers and since my venue has a no shots policy, we were focusing on just beers and wines, some liquors for mixed drinks. So just plan according to how much you know they drink? Another thing to plan for is: how and who will bring the drinks to the venue. I have yet to figure this out, as it’ll be quite a number of cases to bring. I may need to rein in a few different friends to help out. If you wanna get drunk, we need that car trunk!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm a big believer in 'better too much than not enough'. We're using that for everything for our wedding, because the idea of running out is something that actually gives me full on panic attacks.

Think about your friends - when you go to a party, what is everyone's go to? Do they mostly drink beer, or hard alcohol? Does anyone bring wine? Give yourself rough estimates in %. Then calculate as this:

2 drinks in the first hour, 1 drink per hour after that. IE: for a 6 hour reception: 2+(1x5)=7 drinks per person x 60 people = 420 drinks.

Then go back to your % - 30% drink beer? Awesome - 420x30%=126 beer.

Then for me, I added 15% - 126x1.15=145 beer

Yes, it means we'll buy more than we need, but that means we won't run out. No, it's not exact, but if I'm wrong on my % (say, 35% drink beer instead of 30%) I've still got enough.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Stephanie! Smiley heart The ladies gave you amazing tips! I also found these ideas for you: Creative ways to serve drinks for an outdoor wedding What do you think you'll go for? Smiley smile

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That works... A few always sneek through especially if they bring their own... A bus person could cut down on that... Are your bartenders mixing the drinks or just measuring out the alcohol and guests mix their own? Because if they are just measuring they could also bus.
  • S
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's honestly my biggest struggle thinking of bottles vs glass lol. I was thinking bottles then have the bartender open and pour into a cup?
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They have all these neat little calculators on pinterest to try and figure out your alcohol needs for your wedding

Pinterest

Pinterest

Calculate

Calculate

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have volunteer bartended at a few community events... I don't know about the amounts you would need, but what do you intend to do with your empties? Beer and coolers in bottles are nicer but cans are safer and easier to clean up.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Much better to be prepared. I attened a backyard wedding where they ran out of beer before cocktail hour was over! The best man had to scamper to the beer store before it closed to stock up....All was well, but ti was a tense 40 minutes!

Your estimates seem OK- I might order more Rum...but Gin I agree would be a lesser- consumed drink.I like the idea of having coolers and fun liquors, that adds a little more "zazz" to things. Maybe have a fun flavoured signature drink in a dispenser so the bartenders can keep moving? I would get more than 2 cases of beer...that would only be 96 beers (if you get 24 bottle cases)...How many guests do you expect? Iw ould probably buy 8-10 cases for 100 people. Seems like a lot, but beer is a go to for a lot of people who are going to "go the distance" and drink all night. I don't know if you will have a nice bar built/ set up for the wedding, but maybe getting a keg or two might be easier on your budget?

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Melissa gave some GREAT information! I also found this article on A Practical Wedding with some great info (talks about how much garnish and what not to get as well as mix suggestions)

https://apracticalwedding.com/how-to-buy-alcohol-for-your-wedding/

• S
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you! Very helpful, I think I'm way over shooting on quantities but better to be prepared lol. That's about the same estimate I saw on pinterest. So far I'm thinking 4 x 26 of whiskey and vodka, 2 each gin and white rum then a few cases of coolers/ceasars and like a peach schnapps for funs. The beer will be the hardest I think maybe 2 cases of 2 kinds?

I also feel like a few people will BYOB as well. I might make a little mention on the wedding website that we will have the basics/domestics but they are free to bring anything special that they want.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As far as licencing goes, if you are in a hall/ restaurant (anywhere that is not privately owned property) y6ou will need a special occasions permit. If your reception is on your own property, you will not need a permit as long as you are not charging for the alcohol BUT you are 100% liable if anyone gtes hurt or drinks and drives...so please be so so SOOOO careful. Make sure to post lots of taxi numbers, maybe have an UBER code guests can use and a block of hotel rooms!

Also, for your bartenders....be careful having guests serve drinks. On your own property, again, you are OK. Anywhere else, they will have to be SMARTserve certified....which is pretty easy to get if you do want to go that route....but if your bartender/guests start to drink and serve you might end up with drink over- poured and people served long after they should have been cut off. Might be worth considering hiring pros. (Unless the cousins won't drink, then you might be OK).

Finally, the amounts! Nomally, you would estimate 2 drinks for the frirst hour per guest, and then 1 drink per hour after that. Example: 6 hour reception= 7 drinks per person. Calculating this way allows you to get a good estimate, because some people, like you said, will drink much less, and some, a few more. As for the amounts of each thing, make life easy for yourself! Pick one red, and one white wine, and two or three types of beer, and a vodka, rum, whisky, gin....depending on your guest count a few cases of wine & beer and a few bottles of each liquor should get you by. As you said, in Ontario unopened bottle can be returned, so buy more than you think you'll need!

I hope this help, let me know if you need any clarification ( I typed fast on lunch break!) Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics