Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Proposal Perfection - Did you know a proposal was coming before it happened?

Joey, on January 28, 2019 at 09:26 Posted in Before the wedding 0 32

Had you talked about getting engaged before the proposal? Had you already shopped for rings? Had you discussed how or when you wanted the proposal to happen? Did you just have a sense of what was coming?

Did you know a proposal was coming before it happened?

Proposal Perfection - Did you know a proposal was coming before it happened? 1

Photo via @justsaidyes

>>Next question: When was the proposal?

>>Or start at the beginning - Proposal Perfection!

32 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly, on September 25, 2019 at 22:11
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought Rachael’s ring but I wasn’t sure when I was going to propose
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Had a pretty good idea - we had talked about it, looked at a few rings, and we had a super romantic weekend coming up. I was expecting it LOL. And I was not wrong.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'd talked about living together and lives together, but not getting engaged. It was a surprise to me. My FH is the one that is good with surprises of the two of us.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I knew bc he told me that we needed to be a proper family (we have 2 girls and have been together forever). He told me to start looking at rings and i did. Not at all romantic but still full of love.
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kind of. My husband told me he specifically wanted to get married in either July/Aug of 2018 back in the beginning of 2017 due to his profession. So i knew that a proposal was sort of eminent especially since we started looking at venues and booked our venue/photographer. The proposal came shortly after but I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. So i guess i was still partially surprised.

• R
    Curious May 2023 Ontario
    Rayann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me no. I was so mad on that day and was miserable. He propose on my birthday. I was tired from work and he made go to another town just to get his family waiting for us at the house. Then he said I'll get the cake and all I want is to go home. Then he said there is no candle on the cake. I didn't want to do anything on my birthday then I open the box and he pop the question. I was in shocked Haha and here I am bitching at him on my birthday. I felt bad after.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well yes. We had been asking each other to marry the other basically on a daily basis since we got back together so we knew it was heading there..

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes. I mean, I wasn't 100% sure about it that night, but he asked me what my favourite part of the gardens was, etc... Granted, the 2 years prior to this we'd gone to the same place and I got my hopes up, so I think even though I was pretty sure it was happening, I couldn't let myself be disappointed again.

I saw it coming and I was still in shock it finally happened. Haha.

My mom had been told the ring was being made, and she knew I thought it was happening, so she was dreading the car ride home, thinking I was going to be so let down... haha. He had a prototype ring, and she was more shocked than me.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both did, and actually planned to propose in the same place. I bought the ring first and sat on it for six months though and really wanted to make the moment all about her.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did and I didn't. We had been looking at rings, but I certainly didn't expect him to propose when he came to visit me on my study abroad trip in Europe!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes. We had already booked our venue before he proposed.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes. We had talked about it and since it was his grandmother's ring and she had tiny little fingers he needed to get it resized and needed one of my other rings to do that lol
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had talked about it, and he said he wanted to in the fall (it was late spring). So I was SHOCKED at the timing.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had talked about it casually but I had no idea it was coming!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Kind of. Like I had originally expected it to happen that month but everything got a little messy financially and I was under the impression it wasn’t going to happen anymore!
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely had a sense that it was coming! He had been talking about marriage pretty much since we started dating. He kept saying we had to do something big for my 25th birthday and he wouldn't let me be a part of the planning. Then he was saying sweet things to me more often then usual. Turns out I was right. He proposed on my birthday where we had our first kiss. 😊
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I sort of knew a proposal was coming. When my parents first met my FH we were sitting around a campfire with some drinks and they said that when you two get married, we'll throw you guys a big shin-ding! My mom has a six sense of knowing whether someone is a good person/if a couple will be together forever so it was a good sign she approved.

This would continuously happen with my parents whenever we visited - they would ask my FH why he hadn't asked yet, or mention that they knew we'd last so we should get married, etc. It got both of us thinking about it and we did discuss between the two of us that we both wanted marriage/kids sometime down the road.

The first year and a half of our relationship, I was in school so one of my rules was that he couldn't ask until I was done/I moved in with him after my last semester. We had booked a cruise that October, around our 2 year anniversary and after 6 months of living together. I thought the proposal could potentially happen then but I thought he'd wait towards the end (in case I said no so it wouldn't ruin our whole trip lol - no way that'd happen though Smiley winking ) However, he threw me off guard by proposing the first night we were on vacation (our cruise wasn't leaving for another 2 days so we were in Miami for a few days, which was part of the vacation).

tl;dr I thought he'd propose on our trip towards the end, but he caught me by surprise by proposing the first night.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! My fiancé and I discussed it prior to and I knew he was looking at purchasing an engagement ring, though I didn't know when it would occur date-wise.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I knew it was coming eventually haha! we had picked out my ring together and I didnt know when I would be getting it - however, we have one date night a month and when I was getting ready I was like hmm.. I wonder if he will propose tonight - I better look cute. and sure enough! I truly didn't know that he would that night so it was a surprise Smiley smile

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally knew it was coming! the day it happened, i woke and i KNEW it would happen that day - i just had a gut feeling! we didn’t get engaged until 8:30pm so it was a very LONG day
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all! We had talked about marriage but I never seriously thought about when or where! Complete surprise! And he had a big ring box on him too im not sure how he hid that. haha!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely no idea! I was actually very hungover that morning and my FH was like "GO BACK TO BED, HERE ARE SOME ADVILS...WE'RE STILL GOING TO THE TEA HOUSE!"

Looking back, it was pretty obvious that he didn't want me to ruin his proposal plans hahaha. Also, he was unusually quiet on our drive to the tea house, but I just thought he was enjoying the drive!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No idea at all. I mean we had talked about getting married, and looking at rings etc. But the proposal was a complete shock.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not at all! We had previously talked about getting married (we were together nearly 8 years at the time of proposal) and I had shown him rings I liked, but I didn’t think it was going to actually happen tbh. So I was surprised!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went ring shopping together so I knew it was coming just didn't know when.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This sounds like a fun game but we didn’t have an official proposal so I’ll only answer once.

My long distance American boyfriend of about 2.5 years decided to move to Canada, and apply to be a permanent resident. About 6 months after he arrived we started to seriously discuss wedding plans. The proposal wasn’t a big story/surprise, we just agreed that this was something we both wanted, so we made it a thing.

My parents did something similar 45+ years ago: my dad called my mother and told her he’d booked an appointment at the justice of the peace. It was very matter of fact but it was lovely and true to them, as is the case with my FH and I.

How we got together and and his immigration story will be what we highlight to our kids and grandkids...it’s a delightful story that we both enjoy telling, and it was the best fit for us.

As sentimental romantic at heart though, I do love hearing/reading proposal stories, and clutch my heart melodramatically when I hear/read them.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'd been together for over 8 years so we'd talked about getting married many a time and he'd been making of comments about how he couldn't wait until I was his wife, etc for the better part of 2 years lol. I'd sent him some rings that I liked and we were on the same page about the proposal being a private moment. When he surprised me with flying me out west to meet him after he'd been working out there for a few weeks, the thought briefly crossed my mind that it would be a good opportunity to propose but I wasn't expecting it, exactly.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I knew a proposal was coming but didn’t know it would be that soon. I was expecting 7 months down the road.

He knew the style of ring I wanted but we didn’t go ring shopping together. We never talked about how the proposal would be, we only confirmed what I didn’t want (ie to have friends and family around and didn’t want it in public).
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No idea - he'd previously said that he didn't want to rush and would need at least another year to reach the financial goals he'd set for himself in order to start a family. (Which was apparently completely fabricated just to throw me off the wedding scent Smiley ups )

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had talked about it previously, I wasn't expecting it when it happened though!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We for sure talked about it. We first started dating in March 2017 and by October we were talking about marriage and being together forever and how it was a one and done deal so there's no backing out!! As for him knowing that that night (Dec. 30th 2017) I would be proposing. I'm pretty sure he thought I was going to wait until our 1 year anniversary when we would be in Prague - but I thought that would be too expected!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had talked about getting engaged before the proposal. He had promised me that it would happen that year. We'd also gone and picked out the ring because People's had come out with their Disney collection and of course I had my heart set on a Disney ring. However, I was not at all expecting the proposal on the day that it happened. I thought that it would be a few more months down the line.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics