Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Proposal Perfection - Did the proposal go to plan?

Joey, on January 28, 2019 at 09:23 Posted in Before the wedding 0 29

Did things happen the way you or your partner had planned? Did any plans have to change last minute? Did you find a hidden ring, overhear plans being made, or did someone accidentally spill the beans?

Did the proposal go to plan?

Proposal Perfection - Did the proposal go to plan? 1

Photo via @weddingwirecanada

>>Next question: Who knew about the proposal?

>>Or start at the beginning - Proposal Perfection!

29 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on October 1, 2019 at 20:41
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ended up finding the ring...I was looking for some banking papers so I was going through his desk at home and found it. But seriously, that's where he decided to hide it?? Anyway, I didn't give anything away and let him do everything in his own time in his own way and it was still a perfect moment even though I saw it coming.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was in Jasper for the week on a training conference and my now fiance insisted on coming up to see me and spending the weekend in the mountains. I already knew he had a ring...his sister in-law kinda ruined that lol. He got bit by a dog at work and still drove the 4hrs to Jasper. It was -45 with the wind chill( all week was a severe cold warning) and he insisted we go for a hike. We took the WRONG hike for 3km....than after warming up in the truck we went back out on the hike he had originally planned (I only went back out in that cold with a pretty good idea of what was coming). He planned on making hot chocolate on a fire and made a custom mug that asked me to marry him, but it was way too cold lol. Nothing went to plan, it was perfectly imperfect

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes it was perfect
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sort of. FH was going to get down on one knee but he proposed right before a sleigh ride and there happened to be horse droppings that he would have kneeled into - which has now become a joke about how there is the movies, and then there is real life. But when we got our ring back, he did get down on knee then Smiley smile

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As far as I am aware yes, but, apparently, there was a close call a few days before when I went to check the mail box at the post office. There was a very small parcel slip there for him. I left it and left him know it was there because we'd both ordered a lot of the Christmas gifts on-line. It was a good thing too! It was the ring box and because it came from the USA, the declaration of what was in the parcel was on the outside. If I would have looked any closer, the surprise would have been ruined. I don't wear jewelry so the reason for a custom ring box would have been pretty apparent! Smiley xd

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No definitely not, and I will hear about that for the rest of my life Smiley smile

It was perfect though.. and so us

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As far as I know, yes. He says we had to loop back around because he couldn't get me away from my parents lol, but it still all went 'to plan'.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pretty much. I wasn't expecting all the tourists but we made due.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There was no plan! He just decided on the spot that's when and where he wanted to do it!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    None of his ideas worked out so he ended up just proposing at home
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH had a master plan and it went down flawlessly. Him, his best friend, and a videographer buddy had done a big test run through the night before. My FH was worried cuz he had the ring in our apartment for 2 weeks prior to asking me and my sisters and mom found out when he asked my dad the week before, so he was sure I knew about it but I didn't have a clue!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Absolutely not! hahahah he wanted to propose in the morning, but it didn’t end up happening until 8:30pm!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He didn't really have a plan. He was just waiting for the "right time". We almost went on a lighthouse tour but had decided against it. He said if we would have he would have proposed to me at the top of the lighthouse. But there would have been a bunch of other people there so he wasn't committed to that because he wanted the moment to be just us.
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely not. We were at this beautiful private garden and I was sitting beside the fountain and he was about to do and it people walked in and he chickened out. Then we were across the street from a beautiful park with these historic statues and he said let's go in the park and I said "nah I am hungry lets go eat". Then we went out drinking and it happened organically on the way back to the hotel.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As far as i know it went to plan lol
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haha it almost got blown because our phones had somehow linked our call logs because we were on the same apple account? So I was super concerned because I’d had missed calls from his mum so I called her back and thankfully she didn’t answer because I feel like she would’ve assumed I was calling post engagement 😂
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everything went according to plan, according to him. There were a few times he thought about proposing throughout the day, but his plan was only that he was doing it that day, somewhere on the beach.

He made a point of going through different airport security lines than me since the ring was in his carry-on luggage (smart guy) so if he got searched, I wouldn't be right there and see the box.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, the proposal didn't go the way my fiancé had planned because I was sick with the flu the week he intended to propose. I didn't overhear plans or find the engagement ring prior to, though he told me to avoid his closet so I suspected he either had a Valentine's Day gift for me or that he might have gotten the engagement ring and didn't want me to see it too soon.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think he had counted on there being more people around, and although the location was really busy, there was this sudden, brief moment when we were alone - which I think was actually really perfect. He was kinda thrown off though, I think he had wanted someone to take some pictures when he got down on one knee Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it went as planned. It was a good plan!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think so! I mean, he says it did!
    Except maybe for the fact that the ring was the wrong size (too big), and that's my fault, I gave him the wrong size...

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It went more or less according to plan. We got to Lake Louise really early to beat the crowds and he wanted to hustle up the trail to get to the top before anyone else but I wanted to stop at the Tea House for some tea and a bite, then lollygagged a bit to stop at the lakes and whatnot on the way up - he told me after that he was internally screaming haha. He'd also been coordinating with my sister, who's a photographer and lives in Calgary, to have her up there to take photos but she ended up having to work. She ended up almost ruining it when she started texting me before we made it up, asking if I'd seen anything exciting and if there was "any ice" LOL. Luckily I was just confused!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think so?! We planned a trip to Niagara for a weekend for our 4th Anniversary! Not sure if he planned what dinner or when to do it! But it was absolutely perfect!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He didn’t plan for it to be at 3:30 in the morning hours before we had to leave for our flight. We both may have had too much fun on our last day in Mexico and slept away the evening (when he was planning to do it).
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all, he had waited for months for the weather to cooperate so we could go on a hike with our dogs (one of our favourite things) and well its winter in NS so it didn't. He finally proposed in our living room.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think so lmao because I wanted to shower and change it derailed the smoothness of the proposal
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Defiantly not... He had planned this big proposal with my family involved. But he got deadly sick and I just got over my flu. I was going to my neice's birthday. He had planned for us to go shooting after as a group and have the ring hanging off of the gun he had bought me. However, he got really sick and couldn't go. So he planned to ask me at home and put it on the dogs collar but I interrupted that as well too lmao. I told my family after asked sister if she minded. They were all wondering why he wasn't there.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think mostly. He did say that he had wanted to open a bottle of wine and have it poured into glasses but he hadn't had enough time to get the wine glasses out of the box in the cupboard.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean... not really but that's what makes things like this so much more special! Only thing that was not perfect would be the weather IMO. It was SOOOOO cold so on the day I proposed I opted to ask him in the car rather than stepping outside in -40 weather Smiley tongue

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics