Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Beginner August 2022 Alberta

Postponing Summer 2021 wedding

Sara, on March 24, 2020 at 10:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
Hey all, so my fiancé has asked me to look into postponing our date for our weddings on July 24, 2021. I’m hopeful things will have blown over by then however, the economy is taking a huge blow right now and he is afraid of his business slowing down and having to use our wedding/honeymoon money as an emergency fund instead. Also there is a possibility of myself getting layed off soon as well or possibly salary being cut. As well as, the uncertainty of putting down deposits on things now, because A. We might need the money if things progress the way there are and B. Businesses are taking a huge hit from this and people are losing their deposits all over the place from businesses going under. We payed a $2000 deposit on our reception venue and have confirmed a date for our ceremony but not actually paid it yet. Also let’s talk about C. And how planning a wedding is already stressful enough and this isn’t going to make it anymore enjoyable.. especially if we can’t afford to have the wedding we wanted anymore. Anyone in the same boat?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on April 9, 2020 at 12:50
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im sure by next summer things will be close to back to normal. once this is all done people will be back at their jobs and out spending again. im hopeful this wont last long. you could also just make ur wedding date later next summer if you guys lose your jobs that way you have time to make payments.

• Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's great that you've been able to make a descion! Hoping the rest of the year looks up for you both as well 😊
  • Sara
    Beginner August 2022 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have made the decision to postpone until August 20, 2022. The way I see it, there’s less stress this way and another bright side is that by giving up our date next year, that date is now available for someone who might have had plans to be married this year to be able to have that date next year Smiley smile
  • S
    Newbie March 2021 Ontario
    Sheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am on the same boat. We have paid a deposit for our venue and church for our wedding in March 2021. I am hesitant to book vendors at this time because of financial reasons and not knowing if this whole covid situation will be over by then (I think it will, but you never know). We've decided to wait until May/June to make a decision if we should start booking vendors or just post-poning the wedding. Such unfortunate timing 😫
  • Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Glad to know I'm not feeling alone in this either. I was planning to have my wedding in June of 2021. I Looked at all my venues a week ago and was supposed to make a descion. Everyday things are changing and all the things you discussed I talked about with my FH a few days ago. I'm concerned about financial situation and the stress of booking vendors amidst all this crisis . We're keeping an eye on things but based on how things are going, we'll probably not be putting down a deposit on a venue. I'm currently looking into alternatives as I still plan to get married next year . I've been looking at pop up weddings, micro weddings, ceremony only weddings, elopement packages and doing a reception at a later today. I haven't really come to a descion but I know I still want to do something and not just go to city Hall to get married.

No shame in you looking into changing your date and not stressing about booking vendors in the midst of what going on. Stay positive and keep safe.
  • A
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ours is this august too and im so nervous. I dont want to give any more deposits before i know what exactly is going to happen. but if we cancel we are going to be out so much money and it makes me feel ill thinking about it-i also dont want to postpone sighhh. what a time to be planning a wedding

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your not alone when wedding plans are getting postponed or cancelled due to the situation given at the time. Deposits are either getting refunded by vendors by choice or working with the couples for a later date without any penalties. Venues will do the same and help you out any way possible to make your day special. Keep strong and know your guests are safe at home. A change of date is good to send out by email, text or by WhatsApp and FB will keep them up to date. Many business are taking a huge loss as well as vendors for not getting any clients or keeping the stores open to avoid pandemic transfer.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You’re definitely not in it alone. Our wedding is supposed to be aug. of this year. We’ve made down deposits on everything. It’s hard to know what’s going to happen for now but I understand your fears. We have also considered postponing ours to next year 😓

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics