Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristen
Frequent user October 2021 Ontario

Post-postponement Tips

Kristen, on June 11, 2020 at 13:43 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17

My fiancé and I just finally made our decision last night and began making arrangements to postpone our Oct 3, 2020 wedding to Oct 2, 2021. I’m confident we made the right decision and feel sad but also a bit relieved. I’m wondering if the other brides that have had to postpone have any tips, or if you have found a way to get excited about planning again? It may be time for me to take a wedding break but I also want to make sure I get my excitement back at some point. I feel like I avoid everything ‘wedding related’ because it makes me sad or frustrated. We also haven’t announced it officially to our guests/everyone as we are still firming up with vendors. If you have any tips or suggestions for announcing it as well it would be much appreciated!

17 Comments

Latest activity by Carolina, on June 12, 2020 at 22:44
  • Carolina
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Carolina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! I am also an October 3rd, 2020 bride. My fiance wants to wait until July to make a decision. He is very optimistic. Luckily we have a back up date with our venue of September 2021 (the week before your new wedding date). Our church isn't confirming that date for us so we have to hope that day will work if we move it. I am trying to mentally prepare myself.
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Also--even if you can't or don't want to rely on family, dividing the labour with your fiance should also make a big difference!

• K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It would definitely be a brutal discussion to have like 100x over!! By delegating and notifying people in groups, I was able to cut the number of announcements I made personally down significantly--to single digits almost!! Good luck!

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s great advice thank you Kelcie! I need to get better at delighting haha. But this is a task I will happily hand off to others if I can.

• K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally get it. The silver linings are cold comfort for sure Smiley sad At least at this stage of the game. If you are looking to minimize the tough postponement convos (which is completely understandable), you might also consider contacting people in groups. When we postponed, I took responsibility for my friends and colleagues, delegated my family to my parents, and left my FH to deal with his friends/family. And then I contacted the people I was "responsible" for in groups, wherever it was possible. So basically I broke the news to each of my friend groups via a Facebook group chat, all at once. And only contacted people individually if necessary. It really cut down on the emotional labour of it all!!

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Kelcie! There is a bit of relief for sure. I am dreading having to have the conversations over and over again with people though since its such a raw thing still, so I will definitely try to delegate !

Yes there are definitely silver linings to focus on! My fiancé is already talking about extending our honeymoon by another week haha. I find they don’t mean much to me right now in this moment because of course I would have traded it all to have things go as planned this year, but I’m sure in time I will feel excited again Smiley smile

• K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Aww so sorry you had to make this call! It’s absolutely fine to be bummed. I hope you’re feeling a bit of relief as well. In terms of announcing the postponement, you could prepare something formal (ie a change the date) or simply reach out to guests via text, social media, email, etc. (And be sure to delegate portions of the guest list to your fiancé, parents, etc.). As Liana said, guests will likely be anticipating some form of change and will appreciate the advance notice.

After that, yup—a planning break is definitely called for! But you can and will get excited again, even if it’s months from now or next year. After my fiancé and I postponed, I found that focusing on the extra money we’ll have at our disposal next year really helped reignite my planning enthusiasm. We’re springing for some extra touches, taking a more elaborate honeymoon, etc. and focusing on that silver lining has been helpful.
  • Liana
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Liana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry to hear about postponing your date. We postponed our wedding a whole year. I think it's a safe decision. We contacted all our guests through a text or direct message on social media. Our moms called a few family members too. I think most people were expecting to hear the change of date.

I also took a 3 month break of looking at wedding planning things. I felt like we had everything planned and ready to go. This past week, I've been watching wedding videos on YouTube. This made me excited again! We were also able to switch our focus to researching ways to upgrade our home. It's been a nice hobby to do together.
    I hope you are able to feel excited again. It's totally cool to take your time. Your day will be even more special in 2021!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Enjoy getting your engagement photos taken!

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Ashley! I’m in the same boat, any wedding stuff (like even randomly in shows and movies) bums me out now! Hoping it will pass with time and when the date gets closer again.
  • Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Amanda ! Sorry to hear about your postponement as well. We are getting engagement pictures (finally) this weekend so I might wait til after I have some of them to make a post !
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So sorry that you've had to postpone your big day. My fiance and I have postponed our August 8 wedding until next august last month.

We simply told our guests through facebook and for the people that didn't have facebook, we simply called them personally and let them know. We had a picture of one of our engagement photos and a little saying that went with it.

"Due to Covid-19, we have had to postpone our August 8th wedding. We are very fortune to have found a new date for next year! Save The New Date August 7 2021 Summerhill Pyramid Winery Kelowna BC"

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awww so sorry you had to postpone. its sooo hard. were gonna email all our guests to let them know and we updated our website to tell people as well. i feel like i need a break from wedding stuff its making me super depressed

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good idea ! I used Zazzle and kind of figured it would just be a write off. I will look into it thanks !
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It doesn't hurt to reach out to the company you ordered stationary from and see if they're doing anything for covid couples!
  • Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Amelia!

We sent out ‘Save the Dates’ ages ago. We debated spending out ‘change the dates’, but we had already ordered our invitations which is now a few hundred dollars on stationary that was for nothing so we will try to avoid that. We will probably make a post on social media and I’m hoping word will spread pretty easily that way.

I will probably take a good break from planning, especially this summer. Once the postponement details are finished up that is. It’s weird to have over a year of planning time now when the majority of the wedding plans are already done! Lol

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry to hear that you've had to push the date. Know that you're allowed to be sad or angry or want a break from wedding stuff, you can mourn for the day you dreamed about that has had to be postponed. I took a break early on when we didn't know what the plan was, it was too frustrating to try and plan or spend money on a day that might not happen this year.

I would recommend that when you reach out to vendors don't use the words "covid" or "cancellation" in subject lines. You don't want to start that interaction off on a negative foot. For all the vendors I've emailed I've been sure to check that they're available for next year and to ask upfront if our deposits and payment dates will transfer or change.
    Some people are taking a cute mask photo, or using bottles of Corona to make little postponement announcements or "change the dates". We've been reaching out to guests gradually to let them know that the plan has changed. If you never sent anything out about the 2020 date you might not even need to make an announcement, just let anyone who asks know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics