Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick

Playlist question

Amanda, on March 12, 2018 at 19:04 Posted in Wedding reception 0 8
So. I'm starting a playlist for my reception/party, and I'm going for a classic rock (with the occasional upbeat 90's song) feel. My question: how much do people REALLY pay attention to lyrics of wedding music. Is it the end of the world if some songs aren't entirely lovey dovey? Ie: "hold on" by the Wilson Phillips is super upbeat and happy sounding (and yes, delightfully corny) but if ppl listen to the lyrics they suggest that the man will eventually get treated poorly by someone and will come running back to the narrator.

Is it terribly important if lyrics are not necessarily thematically relevant?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on March 14, 2018 at 09:38
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Doesn't matter at all as far as I'm concerned. We had things like Pony by Ginuwine, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Hot for teacher by Van Halen and everything in between. Not everything has to be romantic for a wedding. The songs can just be songs you know that you guys like and will probably make people dance.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Only the special dances will be scrutinized for their lyrics, after that people just party, especially if alcohol is included lol. After most weddings I have been to I can't even confidently name 5 songs they played
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree with Stephanie!! People pay really close attention to the lyrics of your first dance and parent dances, but the rest of the music is whatever you want and is fun to dance to!

I will never forget that my friend dance with her dad to "Dancing in the Moonlight", everyone was giggling like crazy!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think for feature songs people pay attention to the lyrics (first dance, songs during the ceremony) but for the dance itself people rarely pay attention.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Lol. I was wondering this same thing! We have some songs on our list that arent exactly the happiest songs but they fun!
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No! Never silly, but I am an honest person. But never judging! That's why I love these forums, sometime you really need the outside opinion from others going through the same thing. I love it here!
  • Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! I knew it seemed like a bit of a silly concern, but also didn't want my guests scratching their heads or something :p
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be very honest with you. I have never heard this as a concern at a wedding. Lol I told my dj that my music is more important than my dress! I want it to have a party vibe with a mix of everything top 40 old school you name it! As you mentioned it's a party so it should be all about the music not the lyrics! Play what will make you feel good and dance girl!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics