Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Morgan
Beginner August 2019 Nova Scotia

Plastic versus real place settings?

Morgan, on May 13, 2019 at 16:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
Can I get your honest thoughts on using disposable cutlery and plates for wedding? But first let me paint a little picture - I’m getting married at a campground, the theme is camping and we are planning on BBQ for the food..... I’m just worried plastic or paper plates will look trashy when I’m aiming for cute/elegant - my “compromise” might be those plates that look real but are disposable.... thoughts?! Has anyone else had this dilemma ? Do or don’t ?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Maegan, on May 17, 2019 at 03:08
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I second Emily! Costco is the place to go! We got our plates and cutlery at Costco and they worked fantastic!
  • Morgan
    Morgan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!! It was all so helpful and encouraging! Smiley smile I feel like sometime I’m my own worst enemy, thinking people are really going to care THAT much about my plates.
  • Morgan
    Morgan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Amazing !! I’ll check this out
  • Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Costco. they have plates that are plactice but a bit thinker then normal ones and look like real plates, we are getting married in a barn with a family bbq potluck and that's what we are using! then come in packs on 50!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having our wedding outside the city and having BBQ cater which comes with disposable cutlery and plates as well. I'm not too concerned but I have been looking at possibly getting dishes for the wedding to use instead to try and class it up. With that being said - if the price isn't right or I don't have a way of transporting them (although most places pick up), I won't be heart broken if I have to use disposable.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you doing plastic because it's cheap or is that what you want? You could find real stuff at places like Loblaws and Ikea that are real plates but affordable. But if you want to use plastic, then just do it! It's your wedding and seems like it fits your theme.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hate to be 'that guy' but I'm dying inside at the thought of all that single-use plastic. Wood cutlery would be more durable, look a little cuter (especially with some adorable napkins), can be composted, and is affordable. Here's a link for something I found on amazon. Paper (or some other fibrous material) plates could also work and look nice.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting married at a campground too! Diff theme, but for the theme your going for it would be fine. Just get the ones your compromising with! If its bbq foods it shouldn't be any issues with cutting things either. It would also be more idea for kids at weddings if you plan to- I don't have any at mine but would have considered it if did.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its safe to say plastic seems more durable of a material over paper especially if kids will be running around. Disposable cutlery go for it, I like Stephanie's idea of silver colour so that I can give colour over white. Again durable and stronger.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it works and like others have said, you can get 'real' looking plates and silver or clear utensils instead of white.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It fits with your theme, so totally acceptable. Plus you can get so many different plastic plates and cutlery that look real!
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can actually get really nice looking plastic cutlery and plates! Party city sells plastic cutlery in every colour imaginable. They even have like gold and silver. I can't remember if they had plates, but I know Michaels sells really elegant looking plastic plates.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They definitely won't look trashy but it also won't look "elegant" but they are also just plates and cutlery so they don't have to be elegant. I think it would be kinda weird to see nice real plates and whatnot at a camp BBQ wedding. If you go to a party store they often have designed plates and things that can help you reach that elegant look you want. If you worry about losing that cute elegant look just have the decor and everything that theme, maybe a bit extra too. But don't worry about looking trashy because that's not going to happen!
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it totally works... and is probably alot easier to deal with camping too.

Plus you can actually find some pretty cute paper plates and such if you want too.

But like previously mentioned... maybe not the really plain ones that fit better in a cafeteria haha. Or most importantly make sure it's semi durable. It sucks when a fork breaks or you cut through a plate. Especially if people are dressed nice and fling sauce all over themselves or something.

• Morgan
    Morgan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You’re probably right!!
  • Morgan
    Morgan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha yea, I feel like if I get the ones that look like real plates it would be okay!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think with your BBQ theme plastic totally works!
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally would be totally fine with plastic! Maybe as long as they aren't the paper ones you can get from safeway... haha.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics