Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Abbie
Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia

Planning for Summer 2022

Abbie, on March 16, 2021 at 11:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 27

How are people feeling about planning for a summer 2022 wedding....full steam ahead, or proceed with caution? I am reasonably certain travel within Canada will be safe by mid 2022 (looking at our current vaccine projections), but the majority of my extended family will be coming from the UK and I am just a little concerned that it may be too soon to be putting deposits down on venues for a "normal" wedding in 2022. Of course, with the way 2020 went a lot of venues are already full for 2022 and are booking into 2023, so for a 2022 wedding I feel like I should be booked ASAP (like yesterday). Unfortunately we haven't had much luck finding a venue yet, so this isn't a decision we need to make imminently, I'm just wavering on whether or not to proceed with our original plan, or to consider a courthouse ceremony in 2022 and postpone the wedding to 2023.

Would love to hear some insight, we are located in Nova Scotia and groom's family is from Ontario.

27 Comments

Latest activity by Liberty, on December 18, 2021 at 15:26
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Currently, yes. As soon as we set our date we decided we would get married day with whatever restrictions in place at the time. But right now we are still planning for out full wedding of 50ish people
  • Sascha
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Sascha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Still full steam ahead? I’m so nervous. May 2022 also
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!! Same to you ☺️
  • S
    Newbie September 2022 British Columbia
    Samin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also in a similar situation as we + groom's guests live in Germany and want to get married in BC when my family. Just postponed our 2021 date to summer 2022 to be on the safe side and hope for the best. Will do planning assuming all goes to a good level of normality by mid 2022. If you really want to have it sooner than later go for it but know there's still a risk and accept it if it comes to it. You might lose some vendor deposits due to lack of availability on your new date. So do key vendors early like location but wait with those that can wait like flowers. Good luck!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah a fellow Brit! It’s so hard planning for an international wedding! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for both of us Smiley smile
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to hear!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am planning full steam ahead for a 50-60 person wedding in May 2022!
  • Melissa
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m in the same situation, I’m British so half our guests are coming from the UK! We had already booked our venue prior to Covid, but luckily we were able to change the date for free, so we moved it from Sept 2021 to June 2022. We are now planning full steam ahead and just hoping that it will be back to normal(ish) by then! Both Canada and the UK are on track to have everyone vaccinated before 2021 is over, so we’re hoping that will mean travel will be possible without quarantine, maybe if you can show proof of vaccination and test negative? Who knows. Just trying to think positive and I do think we’ll be in a far better position by then.
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to know - best wishes! Smiley smile
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exciting! Thanks! Smiley smile
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Kirsten! I think the ability to postpone will be the ultimate dealbreaker with a venue for us, I’m glad to hear others are finding this is an option! Makes me feel better about setting a 2022 date Smiley smile
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Vinod! It’s definitely tempting to remove the uncertainty factor!
  • K
    Newbie August 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Full steam ahead for me
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Full steam ahead!

• Kirsten
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I are pretty much planning full steam ahead. Most of the people we have talked to are planning in case of lockdown as well in 2022. So most places we have talked to will keep the deposit but just transfer the date to later. We have also struggled with venues so we e-mailed a bunch at once to get either an in person (which can't happen now cause of lockdown in my area) or a virtual tour and Q&A. I don't know if this helps or not.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your wedding can be what you want it to be. Small intimate with just family at city hall and dinner following. Setting your Vow Renewal/Reception/Anniversary celebration for a year time later with all your guests present isn't a bad idea to know travel plans can be made and covid restrictions may be lifted.
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I'm going to start asking about the Covid options outright. Most venues I've spoken to seem to assume it will be resolved by then (and hopefully it will) but I still can't help but stress about the unknown! It's really taking the fun out of it. I couldn't even cut the guest list down to only those closest to me without requiring international travel - my grandparents are over in the UK and my MOH is in the US! Thanks for your thoughts! Smiley smile

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's absolutely understandable! I have a similar qualm with the majority of my guests travelling - I want to be able to interact with them if they're coming all this way! Of course, I want everyone to be safe most of all!

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm definitely going to look into that - it would make me feel a lot better if postponing was feasible without losing a deposit! Thank you! Smiley smile

• Sarah
    Newbie August 2022 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided to change our original plan of 100+ guests to only close, intimate family for a couple reasons. We were concerned about travel restrictions and limits on group gatherings. We will be getting married in BC and all of our guests in attendance will be coming from across Canada. Travel may still be an issue if guests are required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to BC and then upon arrival home (fingers crossed this is not a concern). The stress of the unknown was really taking a toll on us so we thought by reducing our guest list to the closest people to us (<25) we probably wouldn't have to worry about group restrictions affecting our day PLUS we find comfort in knowing that we will have the people who mean the most to us there to celebrate our special day. I have also found that vendors are very considerate about the uncertainty right now and are offering free rescheduling of dates or the ability to switch our deposit to another date (providing they're not already booked) free of charge. Some vendors have even offered to make a reservation now but won't require a deposit until we get closer to 2022 and have more clarity on the COVID situation. I have found most vendors to be easy to work with, so I highly recommend specifically asking if they do not readily provide COVID options.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think summer 2022 will look a lot better then this summer 100 percent.

My fiance and I have already penciled in a second date for 2022 with our venue and all of our vendors (very thankful for all of them that they're available for 2022 date) if our 2021 date gets postponed. We'll be making a final decision by the end of April.

Having to sit our tables and not being able to mingle at our reception is a big deal for us as well as not being able to dance with everyone. And since our entire wedding guests including my fiance and I are traveling to BC for our wedding, it would really suck not to be able to have certain things for our wedding.

• Avery
    Beginner August 2022 Manitoba
    Avery ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've booked my venue and photographer so far for an August 2022 wedding. Both had contracts saying that if we need to postpone we are able to change our deposit to a different date, which was part of the reason I was comfortable booking!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah I see what you mean now! Thank you! Smiley smile

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't know much about the NS scene but most wedding venues that are "hot" around Ontario are the ones that hold 200+ with a minimum spend/guest count that's at least half that (when covid wasn't a thing of course). Venues that hold 50-75 people aren't as in-demand because most people want a bigger party. Of course, that's all hearsay/personal perspective and where you are at, maybe smaller weddings are the norm and most venues reflect that.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Though I have to say, most of the venues we've been looking at only book one wedding/date so the rule of thumb may not apply here :/

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re looking at 50 guests so right on the cusp!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on the number of people you are looking to host. If you're hosting under 50, I think you'll be fine to wait a bit (most popular bookings with limited availability tend to be for bigger spaces that hold 100 or 200+).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics