Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Frequent user October 2022 Ontario

Planning for pregnant bridesmaids

Allison, on February 17, 2022 at 00:03 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 15
Hello everyone! I thought I'd see if anyone else has experience with picking bridesmaid dresses for pregnant bridesmaids.

My wedding is in October (8 months away) and two of my bridesmaids are trying to get pregnant. I've joked for years that I could have 3+ pregnant bridesmaids since I'm one of the last to get married and figured chances were good that at least one of my friends would be pregnant for my wedding. Also - I am all for this! I love and support each of my girls and their growing families and I've seen some amazing wedding photos (and Tiktok videos!) with pregnant bridal party members. My question is how to approach the bridesmaid dress selection. I want everyone to be in floor length dresses in wine/burgundy, but love the idea of everyone choosing slightly different silhouettes/necklines. Right now we are looking at dresses from David's Bridal in 'Wine'. My issue is I only really like the colour in Satin - it's much richer and has a lovely shine compared to the other fabrics. The issue is, satin is the least forgiving fabric they offer (no stretch) and the satin dresses don't come in a maternity option. They did say that the waistlines could be raised in alterations to accommodate a bump if necessary, but obviously that comes at an extra cost. Since no one is currently pregnant....am I ok to have them buy the satin dresses and then just deal with alterations if and when they are needed? Or should I suck it up and pick a different fabric like chiffon that has maternity options available? All opinions are welcome!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Liberty, on February 18, 2022 at 23:27
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely a long time to wait for fabric swatches! But I ordered swatches from a few places and azazies were the nicest!
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah it says the anticipated arrival for the swatches is between March 14-29 😯
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They ordered standard because they wanted to be able to return them just in case it didn't work out. Just make sure you look at the sizing chart as the dresses are made for bodies more typical of people in China than North America. Our MOH is usually a size 8 at most retail stores here but had to order her Azazie dress in size 12 to fit her bust and hips. She just took in the waist so it fit her properly.

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I will give you a heads up their swatches take foreverrrr to come... like a month!! But I think they ship from their USA warehouse instead of their Canadian one.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh good to know! I was about to buy swatches from Azazie earlier then got a code for 3 free swatches so I'll keep an eye out for deals on the try-on program too 🤞
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha that's the internal debate happening now! I'm definitely ok with different styles, but the colour looks VERY different in different fabrics so I know it will photograph differently. I think my best bet is wait until the bridal party goes together to try on options - then I can see how different fabrics look together in person.
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    One of my bridesmaids used the try on at home program and it was helpful for her to pick her dress! They also frequently have sales for "buying" 2 try on dresses and getting one for free!
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Hank. Good point about no retail overhead, and it looks like they do offer a try-on program in Canada for $15 so that's an option too if they want to try the dresses before deciding. Do you know if your bridal party ordered standard sizes or custom sizes?
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yup! The height is customizable! They ask for 2 different height measurements then they also have a spot for additional length to accommodate heels
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohh good point on the custom sizing not needing alterations. For custom sizes are you able to select a length too? My bridal party ranges in height from 5'3" to 5'11 so being able to specify the length which be a huge plus. Thanks for the review on Azazie!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like you're open to the idea of having different dresses in the same colour. Since you're not stuck with everyone wearing the same dress, would you be open to each person having a different fabric in the same colour?

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm super curious to hear about the quality of dresses from Azazie! The prices seem too good to be true 🤞

We used Azazie. The chiffon dresses are on par with David's Bridal. They're made in China and don't have a designer label attached. There's also no retail overhead so they can charge less.

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have ordered from azazie for a wedding I wad in and the quality is VERY comparable to David's bridal. With having store locations David's bridal would have higher operating costs there for making their dresses higher cost. I had a great experience with azazie. I also love that they do custom sizing for free so you're wayy less likely to need alterations! My girls ordered from azazie for my wedding but dresses haven't arrived yet
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Hailey! I have sent them all several options for dresses and everyone seems to like the choices so far - plus I'm hoping by letting them pick the style they can all get something that suits them. I'm probably just overthinking it too much! Another thought I had was doing velvet bridesmaids dresses since that seems to be a big trend this year but is a bit unexpected compared to satin. I wasn't sure how they would feel about it but when I asked everyone seems to LOVE the velvet dresses - who knew!? I booked an appointment for all my girls to try dresses in March so I think I'll wait and see how that goes since they'll be able to try on different fabrics in store. Also - I love all the options you picked but agree that the first is likely the most flattering for a plus size body ❤

I'm super curious to hear about the quality of dresses from Azazie! The prices seem too good to be true 🤞
  • Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean you could ask the bridesmaids opinions on how they feel if you want?

It is also your wedding day too so you shouldnt have to "suck it up"... are you hooked on the "wine" colour? You also could look at other dress shops?

I am very go with the flow and only have a MOH. she is plus size and I know my style might not work with her so I gave her the option to send me some ideas she likes and go from there I also wanted her to like a dress she would want to wear again.... We ended up agreeing on more ankle length dress and 3 styles she likes and I get to pick from there... now we just have to decide on the colour blue (my wedding is just all shades of blue)

I think we are going to go with option 1 as I personally like it the best out of the 3 and I think it would compliment her well. (I have also heard good reviews for bridesmaids dresses on this website?

Planning for pregnant bridesmaids 1

Hope I helped a little bit Smiley shame

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics