Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Pick One! Buffet or Plated?

Joey, on September 11, 2017 at 07:31 Posted in Wedding reception 0 31

What will you be serving at your reception? Will you offer plated meals that your guests will select ahead of time? Or will you offer a buffet with something for everyone? Which appeals to you most?

A beautiful buffet?A beautiful buffet?

Photo by Inverary Resort on Baddeck Bay in Nova Scotia

Or a perfect plate?Or a perfect plate?

Photo by Rajapaksa Catering in Alberta

>>Click here to go to the next question, Band or DJ?

>>Click here to go to the previous question, Round or Rectangular Tables?

31 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on November 23, 2018 at 19:17
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing plated options

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing plated meals with options for dietary restrictions.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Buffet! we will be doing that, this way people can pick and choose what you want and how much

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is a plated meal with a selection between 3 mains on the day of. Our venue is a farm-to-table restaurant so there will be lots of fresh options for them to choose from without killing our budget for a small reception.

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing buffet because both our families can eat and we want to give as much option as we can.
  • Janine
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Janine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Plated is the best, family style would be preferred over a buffet.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Buffet for the guests and hoping plated for the head table.

• Shaina
    Frequent user April 2019 Ontario
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not sure.. I think plated.
  • Arielle
    Devoted July 2020 British Columbia
    Arielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Neither, it's going to be an evening reception with snacks

• Barbara
    Devoted July 2018 Ontario
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As much as i wanted plated, we opted for buffet. It was much cheaper than the plated option and it really works with our layout.
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a plated. I felt it was more formal and elegant than doing a buffet. And everyone will get to eat at the same time. There will be a choice of 3 meals and a kids meal.

• Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely buffet! We both have large families and the cost for having a plated dinner adds up quickly. Plus, there are more options to choose from and guest's don't have to choose between two things that sound delicious. Nothing worse than having food envy because the person next to you ordered your second choice and it turned out to be better!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Buffet. That way, I don't have to worry about "well, this person can't eat this, and he can't eat that" Most of the buffet items are allergy-friendly.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Plated, as my fiance and I have been to 2 weddings one did buffet and one did plated. Buffet is nice but if you have too many ppl some ppl finish before others even get a chance to eat.

Plated everyone starts at the same time and finishes more or less at the same time.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a buffet, two actually. They are identical buffets and run up both sides of the reception room, that way we serve double the amount of tables at once. also, i prefer buffets because you get to choose what you want to eat! our buffet will have 3 main meat options, over 15 dish items, plus 2 kinds of salad and buns. we went for the tasting and the food was great!!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a plated dinner with three different choices, plus a kids meal!

• Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are self catering so buffet style will work best for us. Plus then people can pick and choose what they want, as a picky eater I'm grateful for buffets.
  • Amanda
    Frequent user September 2017 Quebec
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing buffet style with friends from FH work to serve the food...my FH and I made all the food to cut costs and it worked out great!
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To make it a little more on the formal side, we're doing a plated dinner. We debated on the buffet and really liked the idea of it, but we also found that plated dinners would accommodate allergies a little bit better as well (we have a lot of allergies in our family)

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Buffet! Our caterer had an a la carte menu, so that's what we went for (I had a very specific idea of what food I wanted)
  • Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing buffet, but there will be servers putting the food on your plate. I think this will help for portion control so people won't be serving themselves. Also, our buffet is setup in a separate room so you don't have to watch people move along the line. I liked the buffet option because it allowed for more variety than plated (cost wise, this was helpful).

• Lynsey
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Lynsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a pros/cons of both and it ended up pretty even. I feel like with plated people (myself included) don't always eat everything on the plate, whether it's just simply not good or I just don't like it. Buffet gives people the option to chose what they like. I also feel like buffet allows for more options to serve. My only concern doing buffet is portion control, some people will like to indulge a bit more than others
  • Momofbride(Kim)
    Alberta
    Momofbride(Kim) ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess we are the awkward ones, we are doing family style. Smiley smile

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing plated meals. We are offering chicken, salmon, pork tenderloin or vegetarian
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Buffet... We will be doing the food ourselves instead of hiring caterers, so plated is not really a feasible option for us.
  • Sara
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a six course plated meal.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a buffet. Our wedding is a little laid back and less formal and it is easier for people to get as much food as they'd like with a buffet.

• Karina
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Karina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The last wedding I went to with a buffet ran out of food and we were the last table to go up. The groom ended up ordering pizza, it was super awkward.

We decided on doing plated for that reason. Also I think its nice to be served dinner at a wedding because it feels a little more formal. Having said that I think it depends on how formal you plan your wedding to be and what you and your guests like.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a plated meal and I prefer that. I went to a wedding last year and I was the last table to go up and get food and the buffet was right behind me. So the entire time, I had to watch people go up and get food and get the best pick, and I could smell the food to. I had whatever leftovers were up there and there wasn't enough food at all. I think a plated meal is more formal and is better for larger weddings.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Plated. No one has to stand in line or watch other people eat while waiting for their table to be called.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing buffet. It's just easier and my crowd prefers it. I also think there's less chance of food being rubbery or cold if it's on a buffet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics