Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Edith
Beginner May 2018 Ontario

Photographer - how many hours?

Edith, on September 22, 2017 at 23:04 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17
Hi Everyone,
First time poster here. I'm trying to get an idea of how many hours of photography coverage we'd need for our wedding.
If you have already booked your photographer, how many hours of coverage did you book? And how did you split those hours between the different events on the day of the wedding ?
And for those who have already gotten their wedding photographed, is there any part of the day that you wished you had more photography coverage over others?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 8, 2018 at 09:22
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Engagement pictures plus 12 hours of wedding day pictures from getting ready to reception. I
    He was great and brought an assistant to be prepared.
  • Melissa
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree, it totally depends on the timeline of your wedding... if you're getting married at 11am, and reception is a 5pm, then right there you're going to need someone for several hours. Whereas if your ceremony is at 4pm, and then your reception follows at 5 or 6 then you aren't going to need the photograher for that long, and you can still get photos of all the important events. Good Luck! (My photographer is only coming for 2 hours, but everything will be said and done in that time!)

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was looking for the full-day, two photographers, all photos on USB or however else they provide, and engagement shoot included for under $2000 and I was lucky enough to find exactly that and she is the quality of those charging $3000+ so I was extremely happy!
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are looking at a photographer and its crazy at how much they cost, plus on having a videographer. Chris and I don't want a videographer, so that cut our price in half.

We were looking to have two photographers, while the girls and I are getting our hair done, we were hoping the second photographer would be at the grooms house taking some pictures of them. My only preference on photos was that I wanted two people b/c they could take many other photos from different angles. We were hoping to have them for 6 hours, 2-3 hours pre wedding photos, ceremony, wedding photos at a park and reception.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    She's not from a company she's independent. Her and her husband do it together.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats amazing!! What company is your photographer from?

• L
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Lara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ideally, get your photographer to come about a half hour before you get dressed. Really all you need are a few shots of getting your dress on and having finishing touches with hair and makeup.

Keep in mind that travel time between venues is part of the time you are booking them for. So splitting up the time between events isn't really a thing - once they arrive they are on the clock.

You will probably want them for speeches and then up to an hour of dancing - after that, it all starts to look the same. Some photographers charge overtime, and some will leave at the agreed upon time, even if you are behind schedule. Make sure you have a clear conversation about the timeline!

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer has no time limit. She will be there for as long as she needs to.
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer is covering us for up to 11 hours. Her price was good and this way we'll get photos of getting ready and photos at the reception!
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My package was labeled as "unlimited" for time. They just didn't go past 10pm. Which I think is totally reasonable. Considering my ceremony is at 11am, and the list of photos I'd like to have is a little on the long side, I was going to need more hours.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had 4 hours for a wedding of 40 people. We had photos of getting ready, ceremony, wedding party/family/friends, just us (2hrs), reception decor, cake cutting, tables with guests seated. That 4 hours was exactly enough. So if you have more people than 40, I would add another hour or two. And if you wanted pics throughout the reception then add a few more to that.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted 4 hours of coverage but our photographers smallest package is 5 hours so we went with that.
    The 4 hours would cover wedding party photos, bride and groom photos, ceremony and family photos. With the extra hour we have now i might get some getting ready photos.
    We Decided to not have our photographer come to the reception (she will come as a guest without her camera) because everyone there as phones and most reception photos are candid anyway.
  • Kelsey
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was thinking I would go with like.... 6? I know that seems like allot. But i Figure you want them there for the ceremony, and before and after the ceremony, so say like... 3 hours total for the setup and photos after. And it would be nice to have them around for some of the photos at the Reception, and after that just photos from guests!

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So my photographer took 2000 photos at my wedding. It doesn't mean they give you that many. They take that many, delete the bad ones and give you the final result of the decent looking ones!
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Every photographer will have different packages likely, and the bigger the cost, the more hours they will be there. I ended up having my photographer for 8.5 hours (originally we had her for 7). we were a bit behind and so I needed her to stay to get all the photos at the reception I wanted (the father daughter dance, mother son dance, cake cutting, we did a shoe game... things like that!). The most important photos I wanted were my husband and I, the wedding party, family photos, ceremony and the special dances. I didn't care about me getting ready, or when everyone is just dancing/drinking at the reception.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've got our photographer for 3 hours. Cost $260.00. We don't need 2000 pictures to go through. He'll provide us with 150-200 and that's plenty.

• Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It all depends what you want covered. I am doing a "full day" package which includes getting ready, ceremony, formal, and reception coverage. If I were only getting say 6 hours I would cut the getting ready photos do the ceremony and formals and depending on time between ceremony and reception you may be able to sneak in the first dance and cake cutting if you cut at the beginning of the reception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics