Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie September 2019 Ontario

Photographer drama

Jessica, on April 23, 2019 at 21:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice for my “rock and a hard place” decision regarding my photographer. In the beginning communication was timely (emails and messages responded to within 24 hours), our face-to-face meeting she was there 10 minutes early. She has nothing but rave reviews, and several people I had spoken to recommended her. Things started to go downhill after the deposit exchanged hands.

When trying to arrange the engagement session messages would go weeks without being acknowledged, finally a date and time was set... but no location. I sent several emails in the week leading up to the engagement session asking where the location was, and I finally had to call the day of to find where we were meeting for the session.... you would think she would have realized she had an appointment but no location, wouldn’t you? I also had to print the contract and bring it with me so we would have a copy signed.

I messaged my photographer back in February asking for confirmation on some information not included on the contract, and a week later received a response saying she would send me an official document with this information.... I have yet to receive this.

Last Monday I emailed her to ask how much time she would like between ceremony and reception, and yesterday I had a bit of a stress meltdown about the lack of communication and because now I’ve lost so much confidence in this photographer. My FH immediately emailed her and basically said what’s the deal, and I did receive an email back today letting me know her time preference, and assuring me she will send me the document soon. I think as a show of good faith she asked if I would like to meet for coffee to discuss the details of the day, but my wedding isn’t until sept, and I haven’t made the schedule yet since I was waiting on this reply from her. So I asked to set up a meeting in July.

I have now asked about her preferred method of communication as I am finding it a bit of a struggle, and felt she brushed me off.

So I guess after this VERY long (I’m sorry!!) post, am I overreacting in being concerned about her in terms of dealing with her the day of? I’m terrified she isn’t going to show, and yes, we can take legal action if she doesn’t show up, but that won’t get photos taken on the wedding day. I am honestly at the point of wanting to lose the $500 dollar deposit and try and find someone else, but I’m on such a limited budget I don’t know if I can find someone else I can afford after losing that $500, or even if anyone would be available. What would you do?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on April 26, 2019 at 14:12
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This photographer has no interest in your best efforts to get you what you want or to communicate to you in time regardless of what is happening in her life.

I would reconfirm that she is available to attend to your needs and get you answers in time. In terms of not wanting her business due to her lack of interest, ask her if she is willing to give you back the deposit since nothing has happened on her end. She is legally supposed to give back half the amount if you cancel on her.

If it we me in your shoes, something that I would consider and that is to take her to court if she didn't perform her position even after you hire another photographer in the meantime.

Don't pay another cent to her until she can cater to you as a business person. You are clients to her and in your rights, its fair to get your money back if she isn't doing what she needs for you.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went through something similar with my hair stylist, it is extremely frustrating!

If you are not confident with her then I would try contacting some other photographers and just explore your options? If you find someone that works better than you can cancel on your current photographer.

I found that when I got my stylists cell number and I started texting her instead of emailing she was much easier to contact so maybe if she gives you an alternative to email she will also be easier?

If you don't find anyone else then for sure voice all of these concerns when you meet up with her for coffee and see what she has to say.

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jessica.

I'm sorry to read about your issues with the photographer. This added stress isn't nice, especially when you ticked finding a photographer off your planning list.

I would recommend you take her up on the offer to meet for a coffee before looking for a new photographer, maybe ask her to meet sooner rather than later so you can resolve the issues and continue planning without the stress of this.

You could always ask for a second meeting closer to the wedding to discuss the details of the day and use this coffee meeting as an opportunity to reconnect, express your concerns, and discuss next steps going forward.

Did she respond with your question about her preferred method of communication?

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree that is unwanted stress and unprofessional on her end. You do need to meet for coffee earlier than July, that is still a long ways off and you'll be going crazy from now till then with the lack of communication. Also from July to September you will be busy with invites/rsvp's so you need to meet with her now, build some type of rapport with her. $500 is a lot to just give up.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what we did with most if not all of our vendors - first you put down what you want, then you get a contract stating what you get & sign it, theeeeeeen you send the deposit.

But I mean, at this point with a contract that has already been signed, and a deposit already being paid (although in the wrong order), it's pretty set in stone.

I don't think that you are worrying too much about it, but I wouldn't go as far as to get a new photographer.

If she's offering a sit-down maybe you could do that sooner so that you can get everything out in the open, maybe she could give you a list of poses that most couples and families do? Then closer to the date you can send her a list of added ones that you would like to capture?

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This doesn't sound right at all! I know my photographer is a full time one and busy mom. Sometimes she takes few days to message back but apologizes if does. I would email her and take her up on that coffee talk day. I would write a list of concerns in case you get nervous you could always hand it to her and ask if she actually has time for your wedding and is committed because this doesn't show she is at all.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would definitely set up a phone call/meeting soon to discuss your concerns. In my experience, this isn’t normal.

definitely lay out your concerns and work on a plan to fix the communication issues.
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow this sounds awful, sorry you are dealing with all this added stress.
    These things sound pretty concerning. My photographer sent me a contract before I even paid the deposit. Once I felt comfortable with everything I signed it, sent it back and she reviewed it. Then I made payment arrangements.
    Maybe have another sit down with them and if you’re still not feeling it, go with your gut.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics