Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jaime
Newbie January 2024 Ontario

Photographer

Jaime, on January 17, 2023 at 19:44 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 13

Hi ladies,

My partner and I have decided to opt out of a photographer. We already live remotely and spending a lot to have a wedding in Ottawa with our families.
I’m seeking ideas, leads or anything that can capture our moment. I don’t want to scrap this for our wedding, but I can’t afford the prices for a couple of hours.
Wedding in Ottawa, Ontario
Greatly appreciate your recommendations

13 Comments

Latest activity by Svetlana, on January 23, 2023 at 09:42
  • Svetlana
    Newbie September 2022 Quebec
    Svetlana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Jaime we used Sunflake and paid 1500$ for both photos and videos for 2 hrs. Everyone else was charging at least twice as much. Alternatively ask your guests to take photos and videos at the wedding and to post to a shared location on the cloud which is cheap to get, today’s phones have a really great quality so I am sure you will be able to pick some nice photos. Perhaps some of your guests would volunteer even to take photos and videos. I would say that the wedding goes by fast. Memories are nice to have, my husband did not care for photos but he is really glad we had a professional
  • Katharina
    Newbie October 2023 Ontario
    Katharina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So I have another suggestion, 30 years ago when I was a photography student I photographed a few weddings. So something you can do is if there is a college or university close to you you can look for photography students who are offering this kind of service so that they can practice their skills. You are obviously taking a chance because they are not professional yet, but most photography students are already equipped with the tools to be professionals. You just have to be prepared for the risk
  • Katharina
    Newbie October 2023 Ontario
    Katharina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So what a few of my friends have done is they put their email address on a little piece of paper on each table and each please setting so that any photos that are taken by the guests will be automatically emailed to the bride and or groom. Maybe just make sure that you have at least one friend who is semi dedicated to taking some photos with their cell phones. Another idea is to use the throwaway cameras but I mean literally everyone has a cell phone these days so just make sure your guests know that this is their contribution to your wedding.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can you book just a ceremony package so that the photographer is only there for the ceremony and a few select photos between you and your future husband, as opposed to staying for a full event? Since your wedding is during off season, a lot of photographers will likely entertain this and the rates are lower.

Another option is to book a separate engagement shoot on a different day where you and your future husband wear your wedding outfits, and then having your family/friends take casual photos at the wedding itself. That way you get professional photos of both of you done up in a setting you want while you get the memories from the day of.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do think a photographer is a big key to your wedding. You want to have these special moments captured that your guests won't be able to. I would post in your local wedding sell/swap groups on facebook and see if there's any up and comers in the field. Usually they have some really good deals.

• Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s also important to remember that a photographer not only is there and takes the photos day of they spend countless hours after editing your photos to make sure that they are perfect so it’s more than just them being there for those couple hours that day there’s also even more hours that are done in preparing the images before they come back to you post wedding
  • Jaime
    Jaime ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Ladies,

I really don't want a give up a photographer. I can't justify spending that amounts of money when we have to fly us across Canada for our day.

I appreciate all your ideas so far. Each message has given me something to look into.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are looking for an alternative you can do a photo booth for the reception. In the Edmonton area they go for about $600 for 3-4 hours.

But I am going to have to agree with the other two. Photography is a really important aspect of the wedding and I would hate to see you upset and filled with regret that you have no good photos of the ceremony like walking down the isle, the first kiss, wedding portraits, pictures with the families, etc.

Since I am doing something more casual I was able to find a Videography and Photographer in Banff (pretty expensive area) to come for 2 hours and shoot my ceremony and all the photos afterwards and combined they are less than $1,000. I also got photos the next evening in the mountains at sunset for $400. In total I am spending about $1,400.00 for about 4 hours of photography & videography in BANFF which is a steal.

I found these people by posting in a local wedding page on Facebook and TONS of people messaged me with their rates and photo style and I was able to find exactly what I like for an amazing price.

I think you should maybe try finding a photographer who will shoot at least your ceremony for 2 hours for around $400-500 so you at least get that.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I should also clarify - if you do go the event photography route, make sure you are clear on what exactly they will be shooting, for example if you have certain shots in mind make sure they can do them because I can see how wedding photography would differ in style from event. However for our vendor I was still able to give them a "shot list" which included portrait shots of our family and more candid event in the moment shots so it worked our for us just fine - they even took detail shots of the decor, etc.

Also - maybe you could look at photographers who are just starting up? this may help with costs. Just always make sure to review their portfolio and feel good about their work - no point in paying lower costs if photos do not turn out how you wanted.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have to agree I do think a photographer is a key vendor to include. After the wedding is over, waiting for those photos and then seeing them is truly like reliving the day all over again; it is so special Smiley heart

I however like you, could not justify spending the costs that I was being quoted especially because our evening consisted of 6 hours and I did not want any of the traditional getting ready, bridal party, photos that are typically included in wedding photography. So! what we found was "event photography" - the company we hired, KS Studios, was amazing! Prices were affordable, they have different packages which consists of different amount of hours depending on however long you wish to have them shoot for. We went with the event photography package, one photographer, unlimited photos, for 4 hrs - it was perfect for our evening.

Not sure if they can accommodate that distance but maybe look at "event photography" instead of wedding - might suit your day better and help you save on costs. Good luck!

• Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my opinion i think a photographer is one if the most important aspects of a wedding.

it will be what you have to remember your day by for years to come. i would definitely work things through again and try to make sure a photographer is something that is included.

alternatively you could have friends and family take photos on their phones and use wedshoots to have them all in one place but i truly feel that not having a photographer to take professional portraits may be something you grow to regret.

• Jaime
    Jaime ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the Ideas Carnie

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We thought of opting out as well but was told not to, to cut cost elsewhere.

But options get a friend to take pictures, Disposable cameras at each table. Purchase polaroid cameras for your guest to take their own pictures and print them out as a guestbook.

Have a # for your wedding, also send a link to everyone for google photos so they can send you their photos of your special day.

Visit local wedding groups in the area, I've seen some offer their services for free or at a lower cost to expand their portfolio.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics