Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie July 2022 Quebec

Paying meals

Shania, on January 9, 2022 at 14:09 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11
Hello what has people done with there weddings have they paid all meals or a certain percent and have the people attending paying the other percent?
Thanks

11 Comments

Latest activity by Tracy, on January 12, 2022 at 13:34
  • T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

People shouldn't have to pay for their meal at the wedding, it is a hosted even by the couple or their parents.

However some cultures where monetary gifts are the norm people gift 'enough to cover their plate'. Is it possible that you miss understood the people asking about paying their meal that people were just trying to figure out gifting amounts?

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah the price difference was insane when we started looking at venues and caterers! Our venue coordinator told us it wasn't worth it because people often get drunk or waste the alcohol. He suggested the cash bar or à la carte...

I have heard stories about open bars getting out of hand. Some guests just aren't careful or responsable!
  • S
    Newbie July 2022 Quebec
    Shania ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn’t take open bar also. It was 30$ more each guest and they told me it’s good to have but not the best to do as some people get out of hand and if they take the idea to drive home no one can really stop them. And they shouldn’t
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh forgot to add that open bars aren't cheap!! Ouf!
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been to weddings where I either didn't pay anything, paid a certain amount or had to pay my entire meal. The costs aren't cheap nowadays. It sucks to have to ask your guests to pay in full but to everyone their own way...

We are paying for our guests, but we didn't take an open bar. We have a cash bar for cultural reasons and to limit waste.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since you have already budgeted for the meal for your guests I wouldn't ask them to help pay for it before hand. If they want to gift you money in a card or something I'd leave it up to them to decide how much they want to give.
  • S
    Newbie July 2022 Quebec
    Shania ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m expecting no gifts that has already been sent out to all my guest. It’s just I’m trying to wonder why 90% of people want to pay there Meal in full.
    And I’m not expecting my guest to pay there meals also. Just most weddings I have been to everything was covered and most my guests and family members rather pay there part. I don’t want that to happen.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't know your circumstances and the type of people you socialize with but I can guarantee you that a lot of people will be turned off if they're expected to foot the bill while attending a wedding. And if you accept a gift on top without letting them know beforehand that they're paying for their meal, you will anger a lot of people.

• S
    Newbie July 2022 Quebec
    Shania ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s not the fact we can’t afford it many of our weddings guests are asking to pay there meals this is why I’m asking.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can't afford to host a certain amount of people at your wedding, then don't host one of that size. How would you even have your guests pay for the meal in the way you describe, have the wait staff place the bill for each guest at their seats?

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are paying for the entire meal for all of our guests

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics