Skip to main content

Discussion closed

Jenny
Beginner December 2022 British Columbia

Pay Deposit One More Time?

Jenny, on March 19, 2022 at 15:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
Saved

My original wedding date was in July 2020. As you know, because of the pandemic and the restrictions, we keep postponing it to July 2021, July 2022 and now, December 2022. Finally, December 2022 can be the date to finally execute the long overdue event.

Well, long story short...... We hired a day-of coordinator back in 2019 for the 2020 wedding. We did keep updating the contract to the new dates. Now, for the final time to move the date to this December, the vendor asked us to pay for another deposit in order to secure their services! I've never heard of this kind of ridiculous idea as if the previous arrangement and/or the contract is going to voided if we don't hold the July 2022 date to wed. All other vendors are nice enough to change the dates and understand our situation without asking questions. But this one...... pay for the deposit again?

Is this normal? or even legal? Any comments and suggestions, please!

Many Thanks,

Jenny

13 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on March 21, 2022 at 17:24
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank
    • Dispute

LOL, no I'm not hired by your coordinator. And this is a public forum, which means you'll see opinions that contradict yours.

• Jenny
    Jenny
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    They do not have any financial loss. They have my original deposit without doing anything so far. I am the one who bear with the loss my deposit if I want to hire a replacement. Please do read my comments fully then to express your ideas.
  • Carmel
    Featured December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    This 馃憦馃憦馃憦
  • Hank
    Hank
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Seems pretty unfair that you demand your vendors to expect or incur financial losses at your whim while you escape any financial consequences for changing the terms of your contract based on your personal circumstances, despite having zero legal ground to do so.

• Carmel
    Carmel
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Sorry, so help me understand here - because they should care more about your situation than their actual livelihoods (family, business, etc.) they should just let you keep rescheduling without any sort of thought towards what that costs them?? Wow. They have been going through this and taken SIGNIFICANT hits over the last two years. Again, you're breaking a contract (I will acknlowedge I'm assuming). They're doing nothing wrong but protecting themselves and any respectful, considerate client would understand this (I don't see their business being hurt by this - they'll just not be reached out to by selfish clients). You should fire them - they would be better off if you didn't rehire them.
  • Jenny
    Jenny
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Hi Hank, I appreciate your comments, but it's not the place that you ask me to consider more about their business situation. It's the contingent loss that all business people should know and expect under the uncertainty of the world.

As from my point of view, maybe I should fire them since it's a two-way street: I consider their situation, and I pay them to care about my situation. The lack-of-due-care attitude can be a potential threat to their future of the business. It will come back and bite them. All my loss is just monetary. There are a lot of businesses waiting for me to hire them.

• Hank
    Hank
    • Dispute

Carmel pretty much hit it on the head. Here's the thing, while you want them to consider your issues of having international guests at your wedding, you need to consider their stance as business operators. Their obligated duty to you as a wedding coordinator does not hinge on who your guests are.

• Jenny
    Jenny
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Sigh鈥 too bad the COVID is still a global threat even it鈥檚 a less threatening one in North America. Most of our guests are coming from overseas, especially the family members. They are still require to quarantine when they fly back to their country after coming to Canada for our wedding. This will cost them extra money staying in the hotel. They might even lose the job because of that. There is less courtesy in Asia, unfortunately. Moving it to December is a much 鈥渟afer鈥 idea that there is a greater chance that none of them needs to quarantine. I have told the coordinator about this situation a few times. I just hope she can consider the COVID situation from a global point of view instead of just thinking about the local situation.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online
    • Dispute

I'm going to say it's probably because covid is no longer being factored in. There's no more restrictions and most places are starting to go back to normal.

• Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara
    • Dispute
    Unfortunately, businesses can charge whatever they like if Covid-19 is no longer a valid threat.
    We encountered this with our venue on our last postponement. According to them, moving dates due to covid was no longer an option, so if we chose to move we would have to pay updated pricing. We did speak with a lawyer (as we did have a force majeure clause in our contract, and they technically weren鈥檛 allowed to host our 120 person wedding) but they basically said unless we had the time and money to fight it was best to either pay them what they asked or lose all the money and find another venue.
    We were able to negotiate pricing. But it鈥檚 basically like your contract doesn鈥檛 exist anymore. It鈥檚 sad, and it鈥檚 unfair. It鈥檚 not right by any means. But unfortunately, it鈥檚 another money grab that businesses can get away with. Sorry you鈥檙e going through this. Hope you guys are able to work it out.
  • Carmel
    Carmel
    • Dispute
    I'm going to guess it's because you're essentially cancelling the July wedding date/breaking your contract (covid is not a valid excuse this time - i.e. no lockdown), a date they may not be able to secure now with someone else and will lose that income. Your other vendors are clearly incredibly flexible and that's great but that's their business. I think it is what it is unfortunately.
  • Jenny
    Jenny
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Hi Hank, no, it鈥檚 nothing to do with the final payment. They ask for another deposit as if the original deposit paid for the contract is no longer valid. Let me quote 鈥測ou need to pay for the same deposit in order to obtain out service鈥. So, it sounds like a new contract should be signed regardless there is already a contract.
  • Hank
    Hank
    • Dispute

Is the coordinator simply asking for an additional deposit toward the final cost? If so, I see nothing wrong with that, especially considering you changed dates on her three times.

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics